ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: coffee  (Read 20092 times)

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
Re: coffee
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 10:56:15 PM »

Some things never change. Charms, Chicklets, and coffee packs.

I've been using BUNN coffee makers for years now. I like the way they spray the water through the grounds, never burn them, and make 10 cups in less than 2 minutes. A little pricey but worth the money.

Back at Intersonics, we had a Bunn in the kitchen, and really bad coffee service foil packs.  Occasionally, I'd bring in some freshly ground beans, and make that first pot using the bottled water from the cooler.  Tom Danley and the other couple of first arrivers would have a good start to the day, the Bunn does a nice job of brewing as you say Bob.

Best regards,

John

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2014, 09:21:35 AM »

Back at Intersonics, we had a Bunn in the kitchen, and really bad coffee service foil packs.  Occasionally, I'd bring in some freshly ground beans, and make that first pot using the bottled water from the cooler.  Tom Danley and the other couple of first arrivers would have a good start to the day, the Bunn does a nice job of brewing as you say Bob.

Best regards,

John

I used a BUNN for decades and in the end I couldn't buy the part(s) I needed to keep it working properly.

Not to ruin your coffee buzz, but the way the BUNN delivers instant hot water is by keeping one pots worth of water in the tank heated all the time. So pouring in fresh water cooler water, will just displaces the previous load of heated water into your pot.

As my trusty old BUNN got old, I started to perceive a difference between my morning pot and later pots of coffee, it turned out the temperature regulation mechanism was also tired so I was brewing with different temp water for the different batches (morning batch was hotter). It didn't make a huge flavor difference, but enough for me to notice.   

These days I use a cheap electric kettle to boil water and it only takes a few minutes to boil water for my morning dose, and I have better control over the pour-over temperature (I let it cool a few degrees from boiling, but not a lot).

JR

PS: With freshly roasted coffee there will be a "crema" (foam) formed by escaping CO2 from the grounds when hot water is introduced. I ended up replacing the sprinkler nozzle head on my BUNN with a lower (slower) output version to prevent the mess of excess crema in the brew basket, but this was all years ago.   
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2014, 12:42:20 PM »

this is how I make it. Anybody else a coffee Luddite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good enough for me.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2014, 03:16:59 PM »

Yup C-RAT coffee is far from the worst...

JR

I used to save the coffee, hot chocolate packets (B unit IIRC), sugar and cream packets and cook it all up with a couple of heat tabs in a canteen cup for the late night stuff.  It was a real treat.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
G.I. "Joe"
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2014, 06:00:58 PM »

I used to save the coffee, hot chocolate packets (B unit IIRC), sugar and cream packets and cook it all up with a couple of heat tabs in a canteen cup for the late night stuff.  It was a real treat.

You got heat tabs?  Lucky...!
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: G.I. "Joe"
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2014, 06:20:57 PM »

You got heat tabs?  Lucky...!

Sometimes ;-)

I reckon the troops nowadays don't know anything about that, along with the John Wayne (P38 for Army types).
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2014, 06:23:35 PM »

Coffee loses flavor pretty rapidly after grinding, so grinding your beans just before brewing reduces that loss. A similar but not as rapid mechanism for flavor degradation occurs after roasting. Green beans can be stored for years, but after roasting it is best consumed in days. So I roast my own every few days. 

My favorite source for green beans is  http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.greencoffee.mvc.php

How do you roast them?

I've never wanted to dedicate the cash (or space) to having a roaster but the discussion of using a hot-air popcorn popper on the Sweet Maria's site seems intriguing.
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2014, 06:36:56 PM »

...the John Wayne (P38 for Army types).

An essential part of my key ring for many years!  Avoid cheap imitations that wobble and rust - the G.I. version is the only one worth owning.
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2014, 06:55:48 PM »

How do you roast them?

I've never wanted to dedicate the cash (or space) to having a roaster but the discussion of using a hot-air popcorn popper on the Sweet Maria's site seems intriguing.

I have been roasting for over a decade and now have two drum roasters (one for back-up), but you can get started with a pop corn popper. They usually use a varaic with the popcorn popper to vary the temperature.

I started out with a (fluid bed) forced air roaster, while they are cheaper they do not hold up very well. I graduated to a decent drum roaster after about a year and several break downs with my first air roaster. My current roaster is a top of line drum roaster with all the bells and whistles and frankly I don't use the extra gadgetry, so if i had that choice over I'd get the simpler but still big dog drum roaster and save the couple hundred dollars.

For just starting out you can get a hot air roaster pretty inexpensively and see if you like the results. In fact you could probably roast the green beans in a frying pan, while you don't want to roast coffee indoors. it makes a lot of smoke, and the beans throw off chaff, when they crack, kind of like popcorn popping but not as spectacular.   

JR

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2014, 07:00:18 PM »

An essential part of my key ring for many years!  Avoid cheap imitations that wobble and rust - the G.I. version is the only one worth owning.

Yup the p-38 was a clever bit of engineering... I haven't seen or needed one for several decades.

JR

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2014, 07:00:18 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.