ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Using X32 rack as digital snake for X32 full console.  (Read 30494 times)

John Sabine

Using X32 rack as digital snake for X32 full console.
« on: April 29, 2014, 06:01:45 PM »

I found out that it is possible to use the x32 rack as a digital snake for the full x32 console. This is only possible if you've upgraded to version 2.0 of the software which means no iPad control so I won't be using it this way until this is fixed but it's good to know. Here's a copy of the email they sent me.

Dear John Sabine,

Thank you for your email regarding the X32 Rack.

As of firmware version 2.x, the X32 Rack can be used as a digital snake for another X32 mixer.  The following steps will allow for this to occur:

1.  Connect the AES50A port of the X32 to the AES50A port of the X32 Rack.
2.  On the X32 Rack, navigate to the CONFIG tab of the SETUP screen.
3.  Use the third encoder under the display to set the Synchronization to AES50A.
4.  On the X32 Rack, navigate to the PREAMP tab of the SETUP screen.
5.  Use the sixth encoder under the display to activate HA Remote for AES50 Port A.
6.  On the X32 Rack, navigate to the AES50A tab of the ROUTING screen.
7.  Using the first encoder under the display, set the first column to LOCAL 1-8
8.  Using the second encoder under the display, set the second column to LOCAL 9-16.
9.  On the "other" X32, navigate to the HOME tab of the ROUTING screen.
10.  Using the first encoder, set the first column to AES50 A1-8.
11.  Using the second encoder, set the second column to AES50 A9-16.

With this setup, the inputs of the X32 Rack will show up on channels 1-16 of the other X32 console, with the preamps controlled by the other mixer.

I hope this helps!
"I think it needs more barn"

Lance Richens

Re: Using X32 rack as digital snake for X32 full console.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 07:07:40 PM »

Nice. This something I also plan to try this summer....
Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart.....

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 07:14:04 PM »

I found out that it is possible to use the x32 rack as a digital snake for the full x32 console. This is only possible if you've upgraded to version 2.0 of the software which means no iPad control so I won't be using it this way until this is fixed but it's good to know. Here's a copy of the email they sent me.

This is now factually incorrect, the compatible iPad app was released last week.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Sabine

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 07:33:05 PM »

yup.  just got an email from behringer about the app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I think it needs more barn"

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 12:47:45 PM »

One current limitation of this that was mentioned recently in the mega-thread on SoundForums is that you can't route audio directly from FOH X32 to the P16 outputs of the X32 Rack. There were a couple of workarounds discussed.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 02:59:10 PM »

For those asking why this is important....

I am building a console package for the band I work for. 2 X32's for mains and monitors, plus 2 S16 boxes for the snake.. I was always a little leery about the X32's breaking down on me out on the road.

When I started pricing stuff, I found out that the X32 rack is only 250 bucks more than an S16. For 250 dollars, I added the Rack as my second stage box as an insurance policy. If one of my consoles goes down, I have a backup that I can access through a tablet.

The only real problem I have with this setup is that the S16 connectors are on the front, while the X32 Rack connectors are on the back. This will require a bit of work to make it look nice in the case....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 03:22:07 PM »

The only real problem I have with this setup is that the S16 connectors are on the front, while the X32 Rack connectors are on the back. This will require a bit of work to make it look nice in the case....

A case with rear rack rails would probably work pretty well. Have the S16 facing "forward" on the front rails and the x32 Rack facing "backwards" on the rear rails so the connectors are all on the same side.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Using X32 rack as digital snake for X32 full console.
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 06:01:15 PM »

Very clever. How might the X32 core play into rigs like this? Anywhere you have 2x S16s and an X32, you could keep a backup core around. In this case, you could use all your output IO. Has the core shipped yet?

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 08:18:21 PM »

A case with rear rack rails would probably work pretty well. Have the S16 facing "forward" on the front rails and the x32 Rack facing "backwards" on the rear rails so the connectors are all on the same side.

Thats basically what I plan to do, except my case is very deep. I will be putting an extra rack rail in there to hold the reversed s16. I'll cover the space in the front of the rack with a panel blank...
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Seth Asa

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 10:35:39 PM »

John,

Thank you for your time and attention, I know this is an old thread.

I'm interested in a connection between the X32 Core and the X32 full.

Specifically, I'm wondering if I can use the 32-channel USB In/Out on an X32 Core, assign USB computer inputs to channels, and use them in 8-channel blocks at the X32 full, via AES50.

I work for a stage theatre. We normally run Figure53's Sound Design software "QLab3" from an iMac in the Stage Management Booth. The FOH mix position is about 70' away but connects to our amplifiers. We run plays and musicals, both, and use varying combinations of computer effects and live mics.

I am considering purchasing an X32 Core so I can have a direct USB connection for QLab in the SM Booth while digitally linking to the X32 full at FOH position (which connects to our amp rack).

Any reason to think I couldn't use the same, or similar methods?

Thank you again,
-Seth Asa

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 10:35:39 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.