ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Time to upgrade my LED's. Need advice!  (Read 11337 times)

Rich Grisier

• Erie, PA
Time to upgrade my LED's. Need advice!
« on: April 29, 2014, 04:55:47 PM »

For several years now I've been running a pair of Chauvet 4Bars up front.  While these do ok on smaller stages, they aren't enough for stages wider than 30'.  They just don't have adequate brightness.  For this reason I'm looking to upgrade my lighting.  I'm looking at 12 to 16 washes in the $150 to $250 range.  Typical applications are 300 to 500 occupancy bar gigs.

So far I'm considering Chauvet Quad6, and Blizzard Fab5.  I'm not sure how these compare to each other.  Anyone have other recommendations?

Josh Daws

Re: Time to upgrade my LED's. Need advice!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »

i can speak very highly of the chauvet quad 6 IRC...i have used them myself many many times. the thing i love most about them is that they come with a gel holder so that i can place diffusion in front of it....

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 01:04:05 AM »

MegaLight Baby Color. 70w (7x10wRGBW), 25degree beam, comes with optional diffuser, small footprint, approx $220 each.
http://www.venuesupply.com/detail/mega-lite-baby-color-q70-ultra-compact-color-changing-rgbw-led-wash-fixture-w-double-mounting-yoke-diffuser-and-more-5753.cfm
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 03:01:35 PM »

Check out the Blizzard Rockbox EXA. They are more expensive than the models you are considering, but 4 of them with the optional diffuser panel would front light a 30 foot stage well and the color mixing is excellent.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 03:15:05 PM »

In these two photos there are two of the Rockbox EXA front lighting the stage, one at either end of the truss. All the movers on the front truss are aimed away from the stage.

Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 03:24:04 PM »

Same stage, a couple more shots.

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 08:16:19 PM »

I have recently purchased 4 of the Chauvet Quad 6 lights and have been quite impressed with them so far (granted,  I have not had any other LEDs to compare them with).  For what it's worth, my use is mainly for theatre but they worked well, nice colors, were plenty bright enough with 2 per side (stage was approx 8m wide and 4m deep) and the lighting guy that ran the show liked the shades of white they produced and was happy to use them for front lighting.

Steve Garris

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 07:09:11 PM »

Here is a nice light for front wash that has a 40 deg beam angle, amber color as well:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ADJFLATPARQA5X

Rick Powell

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 02:03:25 PM »

For several years now I've been running a pair of Chauvet 4Bars up front.  While these do ok on smaller stages, they aren't enough for stages wider than 30'.  They just don't have adequate brightness.  For this reason I'm looking to upgrade my lighting.  I'm looking at 12 to 16 washes in the $150 to $250 range.  Typical applications are 300 to 500 occupancy bar gigs.

So far I'm considering Chauvet Quad6, and Blizzard Fab5.  I'm not sure how these compare to each other.  Anyone have other recommendations?

I have 4 of the Blizzard Q12A's and they are bright enough to light up the front of a 25' or 30' wide stage with no problem.  They have a few more LED elements than the Fab 5.

John Rader

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 12:04:51 PM »

The Chauvet Quad6 is a decent small format fixture, but a 30' wide stage would really be pushing it for 4 units.  Examine the total power draw when purchasing a light - it is the only thing that really matters.  To a much, much smaller extent, the specific brand of LED used matters, and to a smaller extent still, the beam angle of the lens used to disperse the light.

Below is an image of one of my stages using the lights that I build and offer warranty service on:

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 12:04:51 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.