ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Time to upgrade my LED's. Need advice!  (Read 11375 times)

jasonfinnigan

Re: Time to upgrade my LED's. Need advice!
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 11:42:31 PM »

The Chauvet Quad6 is a decent small format fixture, but a 30' wide stage would really be pushing it for 4 units.  Examine the total power draw when purchasing a light - it is the only thing that really matters.  To a much, much smaller extent, the specific brand of LED used matters, and to a smaller extent still, the beam angle of the lens used to disperse the light.

Below is an image of one of my stages using the lights that I build and offer warranty service on:

What lights do you bulid? must say it's kinda odd for someone with two posts to come in and try to sell something they are building.

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 02:17:45 PM »

I got ahold of the company today on these because I was curious and there is no specs anywhere on line.  They are the same exact output specs of the Blizzard HotBox....coincedence?

MegaLight Baby Color. 70w (7x10wRGBW), 25degree beam, comes with optional diffuser, small footprint, approx $220 each.
http://www.venuesupply.com/detail/mega-lite-baby-color-q70-ultra-compact-color-changing-rgbw-led-wash-fixture-w-double-mounting-yoke-diffuser-and-more-5753.cfm

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 07:53:02 PM »

I haven't used these personally but I've heard these are worth checking out. They would be a bit brighter than the Blizzard HotBox/Megalight BabyColor

http://www.amazon.com/I3C-PAR64-Party-Stage-Effect/dp/B00KIMHPDU/

This is the only video I have found of them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU38k146DlU

There all over eBay/amazon under different names.  RGBW lights. No power linking on the cheaper units is what's kept me away from at least trying one so far.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 08:19:13 PM by JasonFinnigan »

Rick Powell

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 08:51:32 PM »

I got ahold of the company today on these because I was curious and there is no specs anywhere on line.  They are the same exact output specs of the Blizzard HotBox....coincedence?

You can go to alibaba.com and find just about any Chinese sourced LED light direct from the manufacturer, and a lot of them look suspiciously like something you've seen in the USA with a brand name, and for about 1/3 of the retail you get them for in the USA.  Lack of domestic warrantee and service is the gamble you take if you buy.

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 09:07:23 PM »

You can go to alibaba.com and find just about any Chinese sourced LED light direct from the manufacturer, and a lot of them look suspiciously like something you've seen in the USA with a brand name, and for about 1/3 of the retail you get them for in the USA.  Lack of domestic warrantee and service is the gamble you take if you buy.

That's what I was told as well unless you want to pay more for the warranty you might as well buy Chinese lights. as almost all of the brand name ones with the exception of maybe martin lights are made by the same company. I didn't believe it at first but then I compared some Chavuet, Elation and ADJ moving heads and they all were basically the same. Some of them even have the same name like "250" etc. Par Cans Ill take a chance with after buying one and taking it apart to look at, Not so sure about moving heads.

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2014, 12:22:58 PM »

BTW I found the similar oem version of these, they said they are $51/unit with discounts if you buy more of course. they can also do some customizing for you.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2014, 02:33:54 PM »

Check out the thread on LED par can ground.  As an electrician I am expected to use "listed devices".

I wonder what your liability is, if you use a non-UL listed light for a gig and there is a safety incident?   I know there are those on the forum that understand the liability issues better than I do.

I wonder if these are factory QC rejects of name brand lights?  Not saying they wouldn't be serviceable or that I wouldn't buy them, either.
Steve Swaffer

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2014, 02:56:19 PM »

Check out the thread on LED par can ground.  As an electrician I am expected to use "listed devices".

I wonder what your liability is, if you use a non-UL listed light for a gig and there is a safety incident?   I know there are those on the forum that understand the liability issues better than I do.

I wonder if these are factory QC rejects of name brand lights?  Not saying they wouldn't be serviceable or that I wouldn't buy them, either.

That was just a bad one I came upon most of them are grounded and UL & CE listed.

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2014, 05:36:26 PM »

Not gonna lie, I knew it was all made overseas, but that sight blows me away.  First time I have seen it, watched a few youtube clips of some of the moving heads, the factories, etc.  Why cant we have a factory here so warranty wouldn't be an issue and we could all have awesome light shows for cheap haha.  I see quite a few offering 2 year warranty - but of course sending the crap back I am sure is fun.   

duane massey

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2014, 08:06:56 PM »

Unless you actually take the fixtures apart and compare, never assume that they are the same. Even if the "specs" are identical the components and materials can be vastly different, even if from the same factory. I have had clients bring in no-name fixtures for service that looked like decent products, but the wiring harness were garbage, the transformers and power supplies were junk, and the serviceability was non-existent, not to mention that parts and support were completely out of the question. If you consider your purchase disposable you might be OK.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2014, 08:06:56 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.