ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Audiophiles?  (Read 28925 times)

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Any Audiophiles?
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2014, 10:30:38 AM »

I like that analogy-and it carries over into the world of pro audio.

People talk about wanting a system that is accurate-but yet they want a system to "cover up" the bad stuff.

So that means it is NOT accurate.

Garbage in garbage out. 

Poorly recorded or performed audio will sound bad through a truly accurate system-BUT well recorded or performed audio will sound GREAT through an accurate system

Less than accurate systems all start to sound the "same".

I just wanted to talk about white gravy...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2014, 10:47:08 AM »

IMO we need to make an important distinction between "sound reinforcement" and "home playback" systems. There are objective metrics that can effectively characterize how well a reinforcement rig "reinforces" sound in a given performance space. OTOH, typical playback in a car or living space is often compromised by the space when we attempt to create an illusion of sound recorded in a different space, and with more than two discrete sound sources.

Stereo has delivered an improved illusion of complex sound spaces, but that illusion is not a linear process. In some cases added distortion improves the illusion while objectively degrading measured accuracy.

IMO it is not apples and apples, so be careful about drawing strong parallels.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2014, 10:53:04 AM »

IMO we need to make an important distinction between "sound reinforcement" and "home playback" systems. There are objective metrics that can effectively characterize how well a reinforcement rig "reinforces" sound in a given performance space. OTOH, typical playback in a car or living space is often compromised by the space when we attempt to create an illusion of sound recorded in a different space, and with more than two discrete sound sources.

Stereo has delivered an improved illusion of complex sound spaces, but that illusion is not a linear process. In some cases added distortion improves the illusion while objectively degrading measured accuracy.

IMO it is not apples and apples, so be careful about drawing strong parallels.

JR

Okay, but what can we do will all the white gravy that Jay has spilled everywhere? ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2014, 12:09:50 PM »

Mmmmmm...gravy

Jay Barracato

Steve Kennedy-Williams

• Kennedy-Williams.net
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2014, 02:43:15 PM »

Mmmmmm...gravy

Dang, now I want a chicken fried steak.

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2014, 04:28:16 PM »

I just wanted to talk about white gravy...

No gravy here, only ferrofluid.  Don't know if it's analog, digital or "digital-ready" (to use audiophile magazine ad-speak).
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2014, 04:45:24 PM »

a freind that worked at a few audiophile stores in la said guys that liked classical music wanted a system that reproduced the sound the way they would here it at places like the Hollywood bowl , etc. he said they wanted to be able close their eyes and immagine they were at a live concert. they didnt want to hear every detail because that wasnt what they would hear at a live concert and it ruined the affect. one reason i started using pa speakers for my home system is i wanted to hear live recordings the way i would hear them at a rock concert with a good pa. my other home speaker system will reproduce stuff you are not suppose to hear but the sound is different from pa speakers(gee i wonder why :O !). i have come across a lot of rock concerts that were recorded from the record out jacks on the board and the sound quailty is awsome. so now i can sit back and close my eyes(unless its a video) and it sounds like i'm at the concert. i am using QSC series 3 amps made in 1982 & up so i got about 2/3 of a real pa in my system. if i want to hear every little detail including drums sticks hitting together or a cough in the background that i'm not suppose to hear i will use my other speakers and not my pa speakers.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2014, 04:46:44 PM »

Audiophile? I can't afford the $4,000 for a pair of 25' cables..

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2014, 05:30:03 PM »

Someone is going to have to tell me what white gravy is.  Is it an American thing?  I have never heard of it over here.

(Yes, I could look it up on Google but I'm not going to!).

Steve.

Rick Scofield

• SF Bay Area
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2014, 05:48:15 PM »

White Gravy is an excellent band name!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2014, 05:48:15 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.