ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Audiophiles?  (Read 28942 times)

Jon McElvain

Any Audiophiles?
« on: April 29, 2014, 03:19:07 PM »

I've found that a small percentage of audiophiles are involved in Pro Audio in some way and I'm curious if there are any audiophiles here.  If so what do you have for equipment?

I'm a budget audiophile (though "budget" is a meaningless word because it's all relative).  Currently (and probably for a long time to come) my stereo rig includes a Pioneer Elite SACD player, Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amplifier (China Manufactured), Focal Chorus 836v speakers, and Blue Jeans Cable interconnects and speaker cables.

I love the digital source in combination with the tube amplifier and was extremely impressed with the value of the tube amplifier.  I've heard systems at the local hi fi shop worth 10x (or more) than what my system is worth and I'm still happy to listen at home.

Jeff Bankston

Re: Any Audiophiles?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 04:05:02 PM »

in 1993 i built a custom 3 - way speaker system. it had a Dynaudio 30w100 woofer , Eaton 7-380 mid , Accuton 28mm ceramic dome tweeter and custom crossovers built by the owner of a large speaker compnay whos name i said i would not tell.

the preamp Convergent Audio Signature preamp

modified QSC 3500 power amp

VPI HW 19 turntable with ET II arm

the 3-way speaker system i posted above has ben retired. i now use the 3-way system triamped system i built in the foto now. i built 4 of these stacks. 2 for home stereo and 2 for band rehersal. they have Ciare cones and a Radian compression drive , DDS horn.

i'm also a drummer, singer, bass guitar , rhythm guitar , keyboard and hot rod mechanic and electrician , etc
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 04:07:28 PM by Jeff Harrell »

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 04:12:23 PM »

I guess that depends on how you define audiophile.

I used to design consumer audio gear but left in disgust decades ago over the lack of reality in magazine reviews. In one case I had the exact same unit receive two wildly different reviews from two different magazines.

At least in live sound reinforcement you can't BS a stadium full of listeners. The physics of making lots of high SPl in large volume keeps it honest.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 05:11:23 PM »

I guess that depends on how you define audiophile.

I used to design consumer audio gear but left in disgust decades ago over the lack of reality in magazine reviews. In one case I had the exact same unit receive two wildly different reviews from two different magazines.

At least in live sound reinforcement you can't BS a stadium full of listeners. The physics of making lots of high SPl in large volume keeps it honest.

JR
that because people like different sounds. guys that listen to violins usually dont like transsistor stuff. was always a transistor guy until i tried a CAT tube preamp. i always liked a transistor bass guitar amp until i heard a Hiwatt DR201. i use to read the Absolute and Stereophile years ago. a friend worked a several audiophile stores here in los angles. they had systems that would reproduce music in may different ways. i all come down to taste just like when musicians look for a certain drum or guitar sound.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 05:25:13 PM »

Audiofools are the reason we have the second amendment.

And Jeff, if you must insist on showing the fridge how about painting the produce storage cabinet and bread box standing beside it.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 05:37:44 PM »

And Jeff, if you must insist on showing the fridge how about painting the produce storage cabinet and bread box standing beside it.
what are you talking about man ! are you blind ? ! thats NOT a storage cabinet/breadbox ! thats the front loading washer and dryer stack with the horn on top that sounds when the clothes are done ! and just for you infomation thats the new "natural" wood finish for mica look.

looks like something from Dr. Seuss

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 07:59:35 PM »

that because people like different sounds. guys that listen to violins usually dont like transsistor stuff. was always a transistor guy until i tried a CAT tube preamp. i always liked a transistor bass guitar amp until i heard a Hiwatt DR201. i use to read the Absolute and Stereophile years ago. a friend worked a several audiophile stores here in los angles. they had systems that would reproduce music in may different ways. i all come down to taste just like when musicians look for a certain drum or guitar sound.
Guys who listen to violins? Violins have overtones up to 12kHz and higher, but I'm not smart enough to guess what people think they hear.

Stereophile was the the magazine who gave my unit a good review but for even more irony, I didn't even submit it to them for review. I sent it to a friend up in Michigan to evaluate for more commercial professional applications, I had already given up on the phools. My friend was friends with Larry Greenhill so sent it to him without my knowledge and he liked it enough to write it up for Stereophile. Where was he when I was trying to sell to that market?

While I don't have any first hand experience I've heard rumors of TAS expecting some quid pro quo for good reviews. It explains some of the flip-flops I've seen where products rise and fall in popularity from issue to issue  I knew the publisher of the Audio Critic, and didn't have much respect for any of their technical chops.  Lots of looney toons in those magazines. 

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 01:03:00 AM »

I have 2 Butler tubedriver amplifiers in my car. Its a hybrid design with tube pre-amps, transistor high power outputs. They are mounted to either side of a 7 foot path length folded horn subwoofer in the trunk. DSP is a JBL control MS-8. Also, some elliptical, 60db/octave passive crossovers to virtually eliminate comb filtering between tweets and mids. I think that counts as "audiophile" as the system is worth more than the car and I spend more time tuning it than I do drive it.

Link to full album of build http://s769.photobucket.com/user/coronaoperator/library/Car

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 02:43:27 AM »

and just for you infomation thats the new "natural" wood finish for mica look.

When I visited Peavey's UK factory many years ago, they were working on a version of the SP2 speaker with a second 15" speaker at 30 degrees from horizontal.  I'm not sure if it became a product but we referred to it as the SP two and a half.

It was in bare wood and the person I was with asked if it was going to be vinyl or carpet covered.  The  Peavey engineer said he was going to try a creosote finish!

Steve.

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 06:38:47 AM »

I suppose I'm a budget audiophile, too.  I loved hanging out in hi-fi stores.  I used to read the magazines.  In the early '80s I started out with a Harmon Kardon receiver and pair of a/d/s L570 speakers.  Ten years later I replaced the H/K for an Adcom amp & preamp, and added a Philips CD player, JBL 4410 speakers and a 15" Def-Tec sub.  No changes for the past 20+ years until a couple of months ago when I picked up a pristine Dual TT.  Actually, I boxed up my stereo eight years ago in anticipation of moving, but that never happened.  Now I'm remodeling the house.  I'll set it up one of these days.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 06:38:47 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.