ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Audiophiles?  (Read 28952 times)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Any Audiophiles?
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2014, 07:19:55 PM »

White Gravy is an excellent band name!
I could just see some politically correct organization getting their panties up in a bunch about it, though, calling it racist.

The times we live in...!

-Ray "never makes gravy" Aberle
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2014, 09:36:24 PM »

I could just see some politically correct organization getting their panties up in a bunch about it, though, calling it racist.

The times we live in...!

-Ray "never makes gravy" Aberle

i can think of an equally provocative yet non-racist application of "white gravy"

In my parts, the color brown has its own potential for raised eyebrows.  There is a whitish sauce, hollandaise, but im not sure if that is what jay is drooling over.  There is also a brown sauce, which is beef-based, but enough people use an instant powder and have no idea what is in it.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2014, 10:00:43 PM »

a freind that worked at a few audiophile stores in la said guys that liked classical music wanted a system that reproduced the sound the way they would here it at places like the Hollywood bowl , etc. he said they wanted to be able close their eyes and immagine they were at a live concert. they didnt want to hear every detail because that wasnt what they would hear at a live concert and it ruined the affect. one reason i started using pa speakers for my home system is i wanted to hear live recordings the way i would hear them at a rock concert with a good pa. my other home speaker system will reproduce stuff you are not suppose to hear but the sound is different from pa speakers(gee i wonder why :O !). i have come across a lot of rock concerts that were recorded from the record out jacks on the board and the sound quailty is awsome. so now i can sit back and close my eyes(unless its a video) and it sounds like i'm at the concert. i am using QSC series 3 amps made in 1982 & up so i got about 2/3 of a real pa in my system. if i want to hear every little detail including drums sticks hitting together or a cough in the background that i'm not suppose to hear i will use my other speakers and not my pa speakers.

That sounds a little like the Bose 89% reflected/direct sound ratio Kool-aid.

I haven't appreciated my home hifi as much since having live bands in my living room...  8)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2014, 10:26:12 PM »

i can think of an equally provocative yet non-racist application of "white gravy"

In my parts, the color brown has its own potential for raised eyebrows.  There is a whitish sauce, hollandaise, but im not sure if that is what jay is drooling over.  There is also a brown sauce, which is beef-based, but enough people use an instant powder and have no idea what is in it.

For those of you outside the south and west parts of the US, white gravy is basically a  seasoned béchamel (flour, milk, butter) that you can find find slathered over lower grades of fried meat, canned vegetables, and potatoes that come from a box in dinners featuring "country cookin'". A good white gravy can conceal a multitude of over culinary sins.
Jay Barracato

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2014, 12:20:38 AM »

For those of you outside the south and west parts of the US, white gravy is basically a  seasoned béchamel (flour, milk, butter) that you can find find slathered over lower grades of fried meat, canned vegetables, and potatoes that come from a box in dinners featuring "country cookin'". A good white gravy can conceal a multitude of over culinary sins.
usually put on chicken fried steak. i am a south missippi boy.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2014, 02:18:38 AM »

Got it all cheap back when I was in the hi-fi import business:

Linn LP12/Cirkus/Trampolinn/Lingo/Akito/K18 'Record Player'.
Linn Kremlin Tuner
Linn Karik CD Transport
Linn Numerik D-A Converter
Linn Kairn Preamp
Linn Aktiv Crossover (currently out of the system)
Linn Klout Poweramp x3
Linn Kaber Loudspeakers (currently with passive XOs)
Linn cables

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2014, 02:42:08 AM »

Got it all cheap back when I was in the hi-fi import business:

Linn LP12/Cirkus/Trampolinn/Lingo/Akito/K18 'Record Player'.
Linn Kremlin Tuner
Linn Karik CD Transport
Linn Numerik D-A Converter
Linn Kairn Preamp
Linn Aktiv Crossover (currently out of the system)
Linn Klout Poweramp x3
Linn Kaber Loudspeakers (currently with passive XOs)
Linn cables
how come your name isnt Linn ?

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2014, 05:59:41 PM »

IMO we need to make an important distinction between "sound reinforcement" and "home playback" systems. There are objective metrics that can effectively characterize how well a reinforcement rig "reinforces" sound in a given performance space. OTOH, typical playback in a car or living space is often compromised by the space when we attempt to create an illusion of sound recorded in a different space, and with more than two discrete sound sources.

Stereo has delivered an improved illusion of complex sound spaces, but that illusion is not a linear process. In some cases added distortion improves the illusion while objectively degrading measured accuracy.

IMO it is not apples and apples, so be careful about drawing strong parallels.

JR

There are very few commercial recordings that are not colored in some way or another; over 99% of audio played back on home theater / audiophile systems is commercial recording. When an audiophile demands a highly accurate playback system, they are accurately replaying whatever coloring has been introduced -- intentionally -- during recording. You can bet that over 99% of commercial recordings have not been made with highly precise coloring. Therefore, the audiophile is getting a highly accurate reproduction of something that is not accurate to begin with.

Likewise, no live performance is uncolored. If we wanted uncolored live performances, we wouldn't have effects processors, equalizers, mixers, and the like; all microphones and loudspeakers would have identical characteristics, all auditoriums would be equipped with a Bogen integrated PA amplifier, all lead singers would be on-key, all guitarists would be happy with their monitor mix, and all drummers would be able to play softly.

Recording engineers may be artists, and audiophiles may want to accurately reproduce the coloration that the engineer has introduced. But the audiophiles fool themselves, because few recording engineers are as concerned with accuracy as audiophiles are (they have deadlines and budgets to meet) so allow a certain amount of undesirable coloration in the product.

To the audiophile, you are wasting your money in pursuit of a level of perfection sabotaged by the constraints of real-world recording processes. It's an unachievable goal.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2014, 06:50:54 PM »

There are very few commercial recordings that are not colored in some way or another; over 99% of audio played back on home theater / audiophile systems is commercial recording. When an audiophile demands a highly accurate playback system, they are accurately replaying whatever coloring has been introduced -- intentionally -- during recording. You can bet that over 99% of commercial recordings have not been made with highly precise coloring. Therefore, the audiophile is getting a highly accurate reproduction of something that is not accurate to begin with.
My dad was a recording engineer for RCA back in the 50's and they were still trying to make it as linear as they could...  Back then they didn't have to add tube distortion.  8) 8)
Likewise, no live performance is uncolored. If we wanted uncolored live performances, we wouldn't have effects processors, equalizers, mixers, and the like; all microphones and loudspeakers would have identical characteristics, all auditoriums would be equipped with a Bogen integrated PA amplifier, all lead singers would be on-key, all guitarists would be happy with their monitor mix, and all drummers would be able to play softly.

Recording engineers may be artists, and audiophiles may want to accurately reproduce the coloration that the engineer has introduced. But the audiophiles fool themselves, because few recording engineers are as concerned with accuracy as audiophiles are (they have deadlines and budgets to meet) so allow a certain amount of undesirable coloration in the product.
Audiophools are on a quasi-religious quest to find some non-existant holy grail of perfect reproduction. It's all a fools chase founded on magical thinking.
To the audiophile, you are wasting your money in pursuit of a level of perfection sabotaged by the constraints of real-world recording processes. It's an unachievable goal.

For many it is all about the gear not the music. I have known a few who were seriously about the music (like Rudy Bozak RIP), but they were few and far between.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Brent_Handy

« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2014, 09:18:47 PM »

My dad was a recording engineer for RCA back in the 50's and they were still trying to make it as linear as they could...  Back then they didn't have to add tube distortion.  8) 8)Audiophools are on a quasi-religious quest to find some non-existant holy grail of perfect reproduction. It's all a fools chase founded on magical thinking.
For many it is all about the gear not the music. I have known a few who were seriously about the music (like Rudy Bozak RIP), but they were few and far between.

JR

Right on.  I used to be into the logical pursuit of good home audio and managed a shop for my friend.  Some old guys told me they could not hear any of the stuff I could.  They bought what was in the magazines because their friends did, and when their friends came over, it gave them something to talk about.  Another old guy told me his wife had fake boobs, clothes, a crap ton of shoes, etc.  The audiophile stuff was his fake boobs and shoes.

When the economy tanked in 2009, just about all the local audiophile shops closed up.  The current batch of fans are into moderate priced stuff.  The problem remains the same.  They never leave good enough alone, they do not know what the music should sound like, and they are trying to go about things backasswards.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2014, 09:18:47 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.386 seconds with 24 queries.