ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Audiophiles?  (Read 28941 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Any Audiophiles?
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2014, 09:32:48 AM »

{spoiler -  technical term usage}

...and how many 6V vibrators did you have you replace?

Mine was a '53.

-Wigs

A few... the vibrator to chop DC and step it up was crude technology, but worked, mostly. The hip radios back then had auto-search function where you press the button and it scans up to the next loud station.

My 54 in that picture had been converted to 12V to be easier to start... Still wasn't that easy (thanks to full race isky cam). I ended up connecting the choke cable to my distributor so I could retard the timing just while cranking, then advance it again to make power at rpm. 

JR

PS: 54 was the first year for overhead valve V8, 53 had flathead 8 and OHV inline 6. A friend of mine had 53 IL-6 and modified the intake manifold to mount 3x1 barrel carbs. Made a lot of noise, but didn't go much faster...:-(
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Loren Aguey

• New York City
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2014, 11:07:53 AM »

Pragmatic Audiophile, I like that. My system is a hand me down from Audisar founder Bob Munger. His personal set of Audisar speakers, a Hitachi HMA-7500 (recapped by Bob) and a Rotel stereo preamp.

Clean, accurate sound at any volume is all I ask. This rig delivers in spades.

Yours is indeed a nice sounding rig. And nice that you don't need no stinking sub either. Currently upgrading my own rig starting with a new Marantz receiver to replace a busted Sony.

Steve Kennedy-Williams

• Kennedy-Williams.net
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2014, 12:17:37 PM »

Yours is indeed a nice sounding rig. And nice that you don't need no stinking sub either. Currently upgrading my own rig starting with a new Marantz receiver to replace a busted Sony.

Stinking sub? Well, that is as much a function of living in an apartment as it is about the sound.
I always end up having to double check in the car to make sure that the kick sits in my mixes.

Jared Koopman

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2014, 12:52:53 PM »

If by audiophile you mean someone that has a hobby of high quality home audio systems then sure, I'm one of those. But I don't read the magazines or buy into the audiophoolery that that rich folk like. (Tho I had no problems selling it to them :) )

I usually attend the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in Denver yearly just to be able to see what's new in person and visit with old friends. I can't afford to buy what I want so I will stick with the pioneer/paradigm/Hsu system I got for now.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2014, 01:03:03 PM »

I'm no audiophool, but I like having nice music reproduction in my home.

Soundcraftsmen CX4000 preamp (recently rebuilt, new input ICs, all electrolytics replaced) and kit-assembled Hafler DH500 power (my first PA amp!).  JBL 4408 speakers, Technics SL1700 tt with Ortofon FF15e (very much pre-DJ Ortofon).

My philosophy is to not pay for stuff I can't hear (even back when my hearing was really, really good I couldn't hear a price correlation to perceived sound quality once you got above the low 4-figures).  The incremental "improvements" are very expensive and represent either rapidly diminishing returns or greasy serpent marketing.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2014, 03:55:48 PM »

I'm no audiophool, but I like having nice music reproduction in my home.

Soundcraftsmen CX4000 preamp (recently rebuilt, new input ICs, all electrolytics replaced) and kit-assembled Hafler DH500 power (my first PA amp!).  JBL 4408 speakers, Technics SL1700 tt with Ortofon FF15e (very much pre-DJ Ortofon).

My philosophy is to not pay for stuff I can't hear (even back when my hearing was really, really good I couldn't hear a price correlation to perceived sound quality once you got above the low 4-figures).  The incremental "improvements" are very expensive and represent either rapidly diminishing returns or greasy serpent marketing.

Those JBL 4000 series were very very nice, but built to suck up your whole B+ rail and then some! Glad you're giving them the juice they need! The 4412 sticks in my head as one of my favorite listening experiences.   

I had a buddy who at one point owned a pair of 4412s and a pair of 4355. The 4412 barely got by on a pair of 250W randalls. The 4355 had a rack in the basement with 2kW AE techron monoblocks. 

That's some audiophoolery I can get behind. DC to light at 120dBC.     

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2014, 04:19:25 PM »

Those JBL 4000 series were very very nice, but built to suck up your whole B+ rail and then some! Glad you're giving them the juice they need! The 4412 sticks in my head as one of my favorite listening experiences.   

I had a buddy who at one point owned a pair of 4412s and a pair of 4355. The 4412 barely got by on a pair of 250W randalls. The 4355 had a rack in the basement with 2kW AE techron monoblocks. 

That's some audiophoolery I can get behind. DC to light at 120dBC.     

I first heard the 4400 series speakers in 1990 while on a 3-day layover in Japan.  I had heard many of the high-end products around that time, but these fairly simple designed rectangular boxes did impress at their price point.  When I returned to S. Korea a month later the base exchange had mistakenly ordered a pair of the 4410s.  They weren't "authorized" to sell these in country, so they marked them down 50% to sell quickly.  I love them.

By the way, I power them with an Adcom 555 II (200 wpc) with zero issues.

Barry Singleton

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2014, 11:20:13 PM »

I couldn't decide weather to leave this thread alone or not but it seems to be going my way. I love large format studio monitors. I have 4435's in my office driven with a Crown K2 and 4430's on my tech bench on a K2.

My favorite though is a pair of 4350's at home that are seriously hot-rodded with JBL 1501Al-1's on the bottom and JBL 1200Fe's for midbass drivers, Be diaphragms in the 2440's, four way active via DBX4800, three K2's, a K1 and a D45 on the slots.

If audiophile could be defined as one who spends a dissproportional percentage of his income chasing good sound, then, I are one I s'pose.

Barry.
If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2014, 05:55:04 AM »

Well I frequently listen to stuff recorded in the 1920's and 1930's for entertainment and I do have studio monitors in use as computer speakers, but it seems to me the typical "audiophile" says they want great sound when what they really want is sound that is colored to be palatable. It seems to be that the more expensive home systems I have heard make most recordings start to sound the same.

This is like someone claiming to be a gourmand when what they really want is diner food covered in white gravy.

Is the purpose of a high end system to reproduce the flaws as they are recorded or like white gravy cover the flaws up so they are less noticeable?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2014, 10:20:57 AM »

Well I frequently listen to stuff recorded in the 1920's and 1930's for entertainment and I do have studio monitors in use as computer speakers, but it seems to me the typical "audiophile" says they want great sound when what they really want is sound that is colored to be palatable. It seems to be that the more expensive home systems I have heard make most recordings start to sound the same.

This is like someone claiming to be a gourmand when what they really want is diner food covered in white gravy.

Is the purpose of a high end system to reproduce the flaws as they are recorded or like white gravy cover the flaws up so they are less noticeable?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
I like that analogy-and it carries over into the world of pro audio.

People talk about wanting a system that is accurate-but yet they want a system to "cover up" the bad stuff.

So that means it is NOT accurate.

Garbage in garbage out. 

Poorly recorded or performed audio will sound bad through a truly accurate system-BUT well recorded or performed audio will sound GREAT through an accurate system

Less than accurate systems all start to sound the "same".
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2014, 10:20:57 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.