ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Audiophiles?  (Read 28953 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Any Audiophiles?
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 05:07:04 PM »

I had a tube radio in my 1954 Ford...

JR
Go, go. Go Johnny, go Johnny go.

When we were the kids ages we didn't need no stinkin fancy sound system. We had a tube powered AM radio, a bench seat, and some of the best music ever written. I'll bet 90% of these kids have never seen a submarine race either. What say ye' JR?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 06:06:43 PM »

When we were the kids ages we didn't need no stinkin fancy sound system. We had a tube powered AM radio, a bench seat, and some of the best music ever written. I'll bet 90% of these kids have never seen a submarine race either. What say ye' JR?

Can't say that I've ever seen a submarine at a submarine race but that's the point. Been to a few submarine races when the drive-in was closed.   ;D ;D ;D Bench seats were good for something.

Back then the hot car audio system was to mount a spring reverb in the trunk. Later 8T tapes came along. It was fun to hear the reverb springs bottom out and make a racket when riding over rail road crossings or potholes.

JR 
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 09:07:21 PM »

{spoiler -  technical term usage}

...and how many 6V vibrators did you have you replace?

Mine was a '53.

-Wigs

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 09:20:31 PM »

as much of an audiofile that i am and with the nice BIG wonderful sound system i have , 95% of ALL my music listening is done on this pair of things in the foto that cost me a whole $10.00 NEW 9 years ago !

Jon McElvain

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2014, 10:11:07 PM »

as much of an audiofile that i am and with the nice BIG wonderful sound system i have , 95% of ALL my music listening is done on this pair of things in the foto that cost me a whole $10.00 NEW 9 years ago !

If you really enjoy audio equipment and music but listen to you computer speakers often check out audioengine A2 speakers. Great sound. I have a pair at work and love them.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2014, 10:51:56 PM »

{spoiler -  technical term usage}

...and how many 6V vibrators did you have you replace?

Mine was a '53.

-Wigs

Not many, but I've adjust a bunch using a screw driver and Hickok meter.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2014, 10:56:36 PM »

Can't say that I've ever seen a submarine at a submarine race...

Me neither, but my date usually had no trouble finding the periscope.
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2014, 11:23:40 PM »

Not many, but I've adjust a bunch using a screw driver and Hickok meter.
i need to find a good HighKock tube tester.

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2014, 12:00:27 AM »

I've found that a small percentage of audiophiles are involved in Pro Audio in some way and I'm curious if there are any audiophiles here.  If so what do you have for equipment?

For many years I considered myself a "pragmatic" audiophile.  I didn't waste money on oxygen-free unidirectional digital speaker cables, or waste time running green markers around the edge of my CDs, but my system included good stuff by Dynaco, Soundcraftsman, Onkyo, Accoustic Research and Thorens.  When mp3 originally came out I was horrified that people would settle for such compressed sound, because I could definitely tell the difference.  Fast-forward many years and several moves... my esoteric stuff is gathering dust in the man cave behind the house, not hooked up yet even though I moved here 2 years ago.  Maybe it's because I'm too busy, or maybe because tinnitus has taken its toll on my ability to appreciate true hi-fi.  Someday...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 12:05:40 AM by Russ Davis »
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

Steve Kennedy-Williams

• Kennedy-Williams.net
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2014, 01:33:59 AM »

For many years I considered myself a "pragmatic" audiophile.  I didn't waste money on oxygen-free unidirectional digital speaker cables, or waste time running green markers around the edge of my CDs, but my system included good stuff by Dynaco, Soundcraftsman, Onkyo, Accoustic Research and Thorens.  When mp3 originally came out I was horrified that people would settle for such compressed sound, because I could definitely tell the difference.  Fast-forward many years and several moves... my esoteric stuff is gathering dust in the man cave behind the house, not hooked up yet even though I moved here 2 years ago.  Maybe it's because I'm too busy, or maybe because tinnitus has taken its toll on my ability to appreciate true hi-fi.  Someday...

Pragmatic Audiophile, I like that. My system is a hand me down from Audisar founder Bob Munger. His personal set of Audisar speakers, a Hitachi HMA-7500 (recapped by Bob) and a Rotel stereo preamp.

Clean, accurate sound at any volume is all I ask. This rig delivers in spades.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2014, 01:33:59 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.