ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Audiophiles?  (Read 29151 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Any Audiophiles?
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 07:44:17 AM »

Also, some elliptical, 60db/octave passive crossovers to virtually eliminate comb filtering between tweets and mids. [/url]
I would imagine that a 60dB passive crossover would have some ringing issues-not to mention the tolerance needed to keep it all "lined up".
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Helmke

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 09:38:26 AM »

guys that listen to violins usually dont like transsistor stuff.

I listen to violins... preferably in a good room with no mics, speakers, or electronics at all.

When that's not available I'm totally fine with transistors or even op-amps.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 10:48:09 AM »

I have 2 Butler tubedriver amplifiers in my car. Its a hybrid design with tube pre-amps, transistor high power outputs. They are mounted to either side of a 7 foot path length folded horn subwoofer in the trunk. DSP is a JBL control MS-8. Also, some elliptical, 60db/octave passive crossovers to virtually eliminate comb filtering between tweets and mids. I think that counts as "audiophile" as the system is worth more than the car and I spend more time tuning it than I do drive it.

Link to full album of build http://s769.photobucket.com/user/coronaoperator/library/Car
I had a tube radio in my 1954 Ford...

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 10:52:53 AM »

I would imagine that a 60dB passive crossover would have some ringing issues-not to mention the tolerance needed to keep it all "lined up".

Not sure a passive filter would ring very much.

I recall an old tweaky speaker designer back in the 70s when small programable HP calculators were the tool of choice. he would run the calculations for some complex passive crossover over night because it would literally take hours for the calculator to crunch the equations. You want to make sure your battery is fully charged or your lose the result.

We take modern computer technology for granted. it wasn't always as easy as now.

JR

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 10:55:03 AM »

When I visited Peavey's UK factory many years ago, they were working on a version of the SP2 speaker with a second 15" speaker at 30 degrees from horizontal.  I'm not sure if it became a product but we referred to it as the SP two and a half.

It was in bare wood and the person I was with asked if it was going to be vinyl or carpet covered.  The  Peavey engineer said he was going to try a creosote finish!

Steve.

Was that Mike Lee?  8).... 

Maybe call it a Peavey "Deuce and a half"...

JR

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 10:59:17 AM »

They are built by a company called CDT audio and described as "quasi-elliptical", being an audio-phoolery thread, I'll leave it up to your imagination what the term "quasi" means. In a car, the mids are in the kickpanels to minimize path differences to the ears between l/r drivers as our brain uses time delay for imaging at those frequencies, while the tweets are up in the dash near ear level with the closest tweet off axis as we use relative volume for imaging at higher frequencies.  To finish off the imaging, band limited pink noise at iso centers is played and on a l/r 31 band EQ, one band is raised while the other lowerered in order to center that band in the center of the dash. Wash, rinse, repeat for all other bands. The illusion of a centered, eye level sound stage across the dash can be made quite real in a car using these techniques. I suspect there is some ringing, however there are bigger problems/resonances/reflections in a car to deal with. With the tweets being about 3 feet away from the mids, higher slope crossovers are usually sought after. One of the things that a car has going for it is that the listeners head is usually always in exactly the same spot +/- a few inches.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 01:53:05 PM »

Was that Mike Lee?

I don't remember his name... most likely, I never knew it.  The guy I was with from our local music shop seemed to know everyone by name though.  And he once visited Meridian at Hartley's invitation.

Maybe call it a Peavey "Deuce and a half"...

My first amplifier which wasn't home made was a Peavey Deuce.  It was great apart from the phaser! And I'm sure nobody ever used the channel combine footswitch.

Steve.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 02:52:23 PM »

I have 2 Butler tubedriver amplifiers in my car. Its a hybrid design with tube pre-amps, transistor high power outputs. They are mounted to either side of a 7 foot path length folded horn subwoofer in the trunk. DSP is a JBL control MS-8. Also, some elliptical, 60db/octave passive crossovers to virtually eliminate comb filtering between tweets and mids. I think that counts as "audiophile" as the system is worth more than the car and I spend more time tuning it than I do drive it.

Link to full album of build http://s769.photobucket.com/user/coronaoperator/library/Car

Interesting setup; way fancier than any of the car stereo stuff I've done. In my previous car('95 Nissan Sentra, see this thread for why it was my previous car) I had a single 12in sub in the trunk powered by a little "200 watt" amp, Sony rear speakers, stock front speakers, and an Alpine head unit. IMO is sounded pretty good for the very little money I had in it.

Now I'm driving a '06 Ford Focus hatchback and have put an Alpine head unit in it(very similar to the one I had in the Nissan) and a Sound Ordnance B-8PTD compact powered sub I'm very impressed with this sub. It fits under the drivers seat and is powered so I don't need a separate amp. It sounds pretty good; plenty of thump for kick and bass guitar though it doesn't go very low. I'd recommend it to anyone wanting some extra bass in a small car/truck without having a large cabinet taking up space. With the head unit I have acting as a crossover the factory speakers sound much better as they don't have to deal with a bunch of low frequencies. I'll grab a pic of the installed sub when I go to my car after work.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Any Audiophiles?
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 03:10:32 PM »

I had CDTs in my vehicle when I competed at USACi world finals in '03. They were quite smooth and I really liked them. The specific set I had used 18 and 24 dB passives if I remember right.

I currently have Martin Logans in my basement listening room, and I would recommend to everyone to at least give them a listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Jon McElvain

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 04:23:55 PM »

Butler Audio has some home audio products that I'd love a chance to hear.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 04:23:55 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 22 queries.