ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: retiring  (Read 15077 times)

David Parker

Re: retiring
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 08:31:53 AM »

back when I was working my day job, 4 days a week 10 hours a day, I didn't mind so much working Friday and Saturday nights. When I retired from that job, I thought I'd enjoy clubland more. It didn't work out that way. I started dreading the weekend jobs. I could still use the money, but I just don't want to do it anymore.

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 09:05:23 AM »

I'll be 60 in October.

Congratulations on making the decision, and enjoy playing music.  I'm 62 this June, and maybe I see the writing on the wall: I just renewed my web site hosting contract for three more years instead of five.  Hmmmm.

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 10:36:07 AM »

Congratulations on making the decision, and enjoy playing music.  I'm 62 this June, and maybe I see the writing on the wall: I just renewed my web site hosting contract for three more years instead of five.  Hmmmm.

Where is all the young talent coming from to replace folks like you and Mr. Parker (among many other who are not getting any younger). We have this same problem in my day job, where  succession planning is oft overlooked.

David Parker

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 11:12:11 AM »

Where is all the young talent coming from to replace folks like you and Mr. Parker (among many other who are not getting any younger). We have this same problem in my day job, where  succession planning is oft overlooked.
I've heard some stories about issues with the younger ones replacing us. They have not learned that our business is service, and as such, you focus on pleasing the people that you serve. It's not about me. One of the clubs I worked often didn't like sound checks, and one of the younger guys replacing me insisted on running pink noise while patrons were in there eating. Then never ending tom checks. I would go in and get the band started with my saved settings and then dial everything in on the fly. Mute the mains and let them get a bit of a monitor check, then quiet again until showtime.

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2014, 11:52:39 AM »

I've heard some stories about issues with the younger ones replacing us. They have not learned that our business is service, and as such, you focus on pleasing the people that you serve. It's not about me. One of the clubs I worked often didn't like sound checks, and one of the younger guys replacing me insisted on running pink noise while patrons were in there eating. Then never ending tom checks. I would go in and get the band started with my saved settings and then dial everything in on the fly. Mute the mains and let them get a bit of a monitor check, then quiet again until showtime.

I'm not seeing many young folks doing this stuff at all, and those I do see don't seem to have much clue as to what they ARE doing.. never mind customer service.

A major DFW regional venue my band plays at (has house band Wed thru Sat) requires load-in by 4:30pm Wed, set up and sound check by 6:00pm when doors open for dinner. Band starts at 8pm Wed night. It's a house PA with house sound guy, so it's not too hard to get set up in the allotted time.  Thurs thru Sat you show up 30 mins ahead of start, power up and go. It's great.. but I have to take a 1/2 day off work Wed. 

House band also opens for any headliners - like Stoney Larue, Josh Abbott and so on. Garth Brooks was talking about showing up there.. 

But even there, the house sound guy is at least 10 yrs older than I am (50+) !!
There's no young 'uns coming up..

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2014, 01:45:48 PM »

I'm not seeing many young folks doing this stuff at all, and those I do see don't seem to have much clue as to what they ARE doing..

Well, my son is nineteen and is showing an interest in live sound.  I even bought a cheap mixer to show him how it all works.

This weekend he is doing his first proper gig, albeit voluntary, for a small, local four day music festival.  I will be there for guidance but I intend for him to do as much as possible.

And the two guys I sometimes work for, whilst not teenagers, are certainly a fair bit younger than me!

Steve.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2014, 05:27:56 PM »

I was thinking about the retirement aspect VERY HARD as I took the 3-hr drive to my gig last Sat afternoon - way out East Texas way (I live in DFW). I was playing (not doing SR), but the gig went great. We finished by 11. Tore down, loaded PA into trailer and were out of there by midnight. It was still a 3-hr drive home, so I got in around the usual time on a Sunday am. Getting too old for those kind of drives!! I love the playing, but the driving sure sux! 

It was kinda interesting watching the band leader RTA the PA for an outdoor gig.. !

Where in East Texas was it? I live/work near Tyler.  :) If you're ever in the area drop me a PM or email.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2014, 10:48:24 PM »

I would hate that too.  Luckily, I live on an island which is only 26 miles wide - half an hour at most to get home from gigs!

Steve.

What Island do you live on?

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2014, 10:59:17 PM »

Where in East Texas was it? I live/work near Tyler.  :) If you're ever in the area drop me a PM or email.

Tommy,
we were playing the Wildflower Festival out in Hughes Springs..

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2014, 11:04:33 PM »

Tommy,
we were playing the Wildflower Festival out in Hughes Springs..

Ok. I know about where that is. Have a great week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2014, 11:04:33 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 23 queries.