ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: retiring  (Read 15059 times)

David Parker

retiring
« on: April 29, 2014, 08:21:39 AM »

I'll be 60 in October, and I retired from my day job after 38 years a year and a half ago. I had 3 cover tune bands I was working for, let two of them go, and I told them 3rd (who consider me a member of the band) no guarantees after the end of this year. I'm tired of the stress. I just don't want to do it anymore. Been at it over 20 years. Between the fact that all my cabs are custom built and have little resale value, and the fact everything has been fully depreciated, so the IRS would get a big chunk of anything I sell, I think I'll just keep the rig for an occasional charity gig. Getting home at 4am just doesn't appeal to me any more.

I'm spending my time singing at nursing homes. Old country and Gospel. I always leave with more than I gave. Feels good to bring joy to folks mostly forgotten.

Jerome Malsack

Re: retiring
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 08:50:57 AM »

Congrats on you move to the less stress more fun side.

enjoy. 

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 09:37:02 AM »

Sounds like a plan, David.  Enjoy the lighter schedule (because you probably won't fully retire).
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 12:36:02 PM »

Why would the IRS ever need to know you sold gear?

I "retired" several years ago because I was tired of too much work for too little pay (bar cover bands as well).  I've recently been dragged kicking and screaming back into it for another round.  The band I'm working for had the same soundman for all 10 years of their existence and he had probably another 10 years before that.  He too had reached the end of his rope and wanted to spend more time fishing.

I'm sure you'll enjoy getting a good nights sleep on the weekends now, and I wish you well on your singing career.  I have a friend about your age who sings in nursing homes and the residents just love him and he gets a big a kick out of bringing some "life" to their events.
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 01:17:03 PM »

I'll be 60 in October, and I retired from my day job after 38 years a year and a half ago. I had 3 cover tune bands I was working for, let two of them go, and I told them 3rd (who consider me a member of the band) no guarantees after the end of this year. I'm tired of the stress. I just don't want to do it anymore. Been at it over 20 years. Between the fact that all my cabs are custom built and have little resale value, and the fact everything has been fully depreciated, so the IRS would get a big chunk of anything I sell, I think I'll just keep the rig for an occasional charity gig. Getting home at 4am just doesn't appeal to me any more.

I'm spending my time singing at nursing homes. Old country and Gospel. I always leave with more than I gave. Feels good to bring joy to folks mostly forgotten.

I retired about 5 years ago from the industrial business. Believe it or not, even going fishing and playing golf every day gets old. Had to get back into it to stay sane.  :o I am keeping it smaller and simpler though.

Being retired does put life in a whole different perspective.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 01:22:11 PM by Jamin Lynch »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 02:14:25 PM »

I retired about 5 years ago from the industrial business. Believe it or not, even going fishing and playing golf every day gets old. Had to get back into it to stay sane.  :o I am keeping it smaller and simpler though.

Being retired does put life in a whole different perspective.

Yeah, you "retired" by opening a full service, retail pro audio shop.  Nothin' like a little challenge in your old age, eh?  I hope it keeps working out for you...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 02:27:47 PM »

Yeah, you "retired" by opening a full service, retail pro audio shop.  Nothin' like a little challenge in your old age, eh?  I hope it keeps working out for you...

Holy crap...what was I thinking?  :o

A retirement home was just not for me.

2013 was my best year....ever!! Fingers crossed for 2014

Robert Patch

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 02:38:05 PM »

Why would the IRS ever need to know you sold gear?

Because it's on your depreciation schedule and you have to list every year the equipment that you have depreciated and if you've sold it, report the income.

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 03:04:18 PM »

Congrats on you move to the less stress more fun side.

enjoy.

I was thinking about the retirement aspect VERY HARD as I took the 3-hr drive to my gig last Sat afternoon - way out East Texas way (I live in DFW). I was playing (not doing SR), but the gig went great. We finished by 11. Tore down, loaded PA into trailer and were out of there by midnight. It was still a 3-hr drive home, so I got in around the usual time on a Sunday am. Getting too old for those kind of drives!! I love the playing, but the driving sure sux! 

It was kinda interesting watching the band leader RTA the PA for an outdoor gig.. !

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 03:27:20 PM »

I was thinking about the retirement aspect VERY HARD as I took the 3-hr drive to my gig last Sat afternoon - way out East Texas way (I live in DFW). I was playing (not doing SR), but the gig went great. We finished by 11. Tore down, loaded PA into trailer and were out of there by midnight. It was still a 3-hr drive home, so I got in around the usual time on a Sunday am. Getting too old for those kind of drives!! I love the playing, but the driving sure sux! 

It was kinda interesting watching the band leader RTA the PA for an outdoor gig.. !

Steve, perhaps you should update your thread regarding this person/practice.  I'd be interested in how the outdoor "RTA session" went and what the audible results were like.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 03:27:20 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.