ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Community CSX40-S2 Subwoofer  (Read 10649 times)

Michael A. Yates

Community CSX40-S2 Subwoofer
« on: April 28, 2014, 11:43:38 PM »

I reckon I got lucky today, just happened to be in the right place at the right time and I acquired a Community CSX40-S2 subwoofer, a Crown CE1000, and a Samson S2-Way Crossover. Some of you are probably thinking "what's so lucky about that? Sounds like junk to me". Well I'm the new kid on the block just starting up and only doing small gigs around town. Small gig in my book is defined as small to midsize venues with only 300 people or less. I'm doing sound for basically small cover bands and weddings and things such as that. I had everything but the subs and this was given to me today. My question is what can I do to beff these up a bit? Anyone have any recommendations on replacement woofers that might give me a better punch? Only using this one dual 15" sub in front of middle stage. I have the Crown CE1000 bridge and the samson is crossed at about 50 Hz. Should I spend a little money and try the beast it up a little, or should I save my money for a dual 18" sub??? I do understand that if I want big punch I need more subs. But for now this is going to have to do.

If you must know:
Cover bands do have drums, keys, bass, guitars both electric and acoustic, and loops (prerecorded).
As stated before small to midsize rooms. Only using this one sub mid stage. No more then 300 people in attendance.

Other gear being used if this helps?
- 4 EV ELX112 Speakers (2 per side stacked on each other)
- Powered by 2 Crown XLS1000 power amps (both amps parallel in, 1 speaker per channel)
- PreSonus Studiolive 16.4.2 AI
- GTD Audio M-2500 power amp in parallel powering 2 Mackie c200 monitors. (1 monitor per channel)

Kick goes through system via Shure Beta 52 Mic. Shure Sm137 Drum Kit Overhead. 
Bass guitar and other guitars all go through system. Keys go through system and loops go through the system.

Here are the specs for the sub if that helps:
http://www.communitypro.com/files/literature/spec%2520sheets/discontinued/csx40_s2.pdf?phpMyAdmin=c9cc5b3953d87385dc22218d669e7aab

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Earl F Young

Re: Community CSX40-S2 Subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 12:51:31 AM »

Only using this one dual 15" sub in front of middle stage. I have the Crown CE1000 bridge and the samson is crossed at about 50 Hz. Should I spend a little money and try the beast it up a little, or should I save my money for a dual 18" sub???

Here are the specs for the sub if that helps:
http://www.communitypro.com/files/literature/spec%2520sheets/discontinued/csx40_s2.pdf?phpMyAdmin=c9cc5b3953d87385dc22218d669e7aab

Relegate that dual 15" as a drum wedge  ;D

Michael A. Yates

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 12:56:43 AM »

Relegate that dual 15" as a drum wedge  ;D

Not a option at this time! Budget is only $300

Yosi Melamed

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 04:12:42 AM »

First the link you posted doesn't work, here is a working link.

What are you trying to achieve by stacking your speakers on top of each other and why do you cross that sub at 50Hz?

Real quick I can tell you to save your money for later usage. Don't buy any woofers or any other piece of gear unless you know exactly what you want to do with it and that it would do it well for you.
Don't bring up facts that can ruin our good argument.

Crown i-Tech 8000
Allen & Heath ZED60-14FX
4 X Cerwin Vega ProStax PS-12 II
1 X Cerwin Vega Sub 15
1 X Rolls RS-80 Tuner
1 X MaxxBass 101
1 X Weekend warrior

Doug de Werd

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 11:24:21 AM »

I have the similar CSX56-S2. Same specs (2x15, etc) but slightly different sized box.

The CE1000 bridged will give 1100W @ 4 ohms, so that's a pretty good fit. I power mine with 800W each (I have 2).

I would bump up the crossover to around 100 Hz or so.

It's not going to be thump-your-chest loud by any means, but it should augment the ELX112's pretty well.

I wouldn't bother getting new speakers for it (assuming the ones in there are working properly). You'd be much better off saving your money for a better sub(s) down the road.

How does it sound? Are you asking your question because you don't like the sound of it, or more in general? If it's a general question, I wouldn't try to fix anything if you don't know what's broken. Use it a few times and see what you think. I've had my CSX rig for probably 14 years or so, and it's done me just fine for what I ask of it.

Cheers,
Doug

Michael A. Yates

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 12:05:12 PM »

I have the similar CSX56-S2. Same specs (2x15, etc) but slightly different sized box.

The CE1000 bridged will give 1100W @ 4 ohms, so that's a pretty good fit. I power mine with 800W each (I have 2).

I would bump up the crossover to around 100 Hz or so.

It's not going to be thump-your-chest loud by any means, but it should augment the ELX112's pretty well.

I wouldn't bother getting new speakers for it (assuming the ones in there are working properly). You'd be much better off saving your money for a better sub(s) down the road.

How does it sound? Are you asking your question because you don't like the sound of it, or more in general? If it's a general question, I wouldn't try to fix anything if you don't know what's broken. Use it a few times and see what you think. I've had my CSX rig for probably 14 years or so, and it's done me just fine for what I ask of it.

Cheers,
Doug

No it sounds awesome i'm just concerned about the 250 Watt RMS power at 4ohms. That's not a lot and I was thinking I might blow them.

Doug de Werd

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 12:13:36 PM »

It's 600W Program with a recommended amp of up to 750W.

Maybe back down the sub output on the crossover a bit and don't try to run them too hard.

Here's a good discussion on it
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=73266.0

Or, if you're worried about it, just run it off one side of the CE1000 in stereo (not bridged) mode, and you'll give it 450W

Cheers,
Doug
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 12:16:14 PM by Doug de Werd »

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 03:09:15 PM »

- 4 EV ELX112 Speakers (2 per side stacked on each other)

Not sure why you would do this, but if its due to space constraints, invert the top speaker so the horns are next to each other. Will minimize any filtering and provide better output.

Travis_Valois

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 09:27:55 PM »

Isn't that box basically half of a CSX60-S2 (the quad 15")

I have a pair of the quad 15's. Bought them used and they were used in a long term rental to a local group holding monthly dances. Powered them off a Crown PT 2.1. Not the best boxes for live use,  but were decent for what I needed them for at the time. One of the 15's blew. The quad 15's use 4 one ohm 15"speakers connected in series and therefore if one voice coil opened, the whole box was dead. I replaced the original speakers with 16 ohm Eminence Delta 15 units which have better power handling and also sound better in this box. Heavy boxes with that high density particle board construction. Don't ever let it get wet or the box will turn into a pile of mushy oatmeal.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 10:23:24 PM »

Not a option at this time! Budget is only $300

The wrong piece of gear at the "right price" is still the wrong piece of gear.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 10:23:24 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.