ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Two newby-type questions  (Read 4923 times)

David Lane

Two newby-type questions
« on: April 28, 2014, 02:35:40 PM »

Hello all! This is my first post. I’m hoping for a couple lessons from wizened PA folk.

I am a singer/song-writer and acoustic guitarist who sets up sound for my solo and small acoustic band performances. Here is the equipment:

Yamaha DXR10 power speakers for FOH
Behringer B210D power speakers for stage monitors
Schertler Unico often used as another stage monitor
Soundcraft EFX8 mixer
dbx DriveRack PX
Several dynamic and condenser mics

I have two main questions at this point:

1) How should I hook up the stage monitors but still get a half way decent FOH mix?

Right now I’m daisy chaining the stage monitors off the FOH. I suspect that most sound engineers would hook the stage monitors to the Aux1 output of the mixer, but doing so would mean that I wouldn’t hear what the audience is hearing “at all”.

2) How do people use a stage snake that does not have “send” XLR connectors?

Right now I’m using XLR gender benders on two unused connectors which are apparently designed for “input”.

Thanks for your indulgence,

David

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: Two newby-type questions
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 02:38:10 PM »

Hello all! This is my first post. I’m hoping for a couple lessons from wizened PA folk.

Lesson 1: Read the forum rules and fix your display name.
Lesson 2: Figure out which forum area your post belongs in.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 02:40:20 PM by Corey Scogin »

David Lane

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 02:49:50 PM »

Lesson 1: Read the forum rules and fix your display name.
Lesson 2: Figure out which forum area your post belongs in.

Cool. I've changed my name and I suspect this post should have gone to "Lab: Lounge". I'm trying to find a "move" in the site's user interface but I don't see such a thing.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 03:33:02 PM »

In my opinion, the monitors are not there to let you know what the audience is hearing.  They exist to let you hear as much  of whatever you need to perform at your best.

The monitors are never going to sound the same as FOH.

As for your snake question, if you only have inputs on it, you can use gender changing adaptors at both ends to use it in the other direction or make up some leads with the 'wrong' connectors at the snake end.

Steve.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 03:38:38 PM »

In my opinion, the monitors are not there to let you know what the audience is hearing.  They exist to let you hear as much  of whatever you need to perform at your best.

The monitors are never going to sound the same as FOH.

Steve.

Yup.  The only way to know what the audience is hearing is to sit out in the house.

Even then you'll only know how it sounds in that seat...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

David Lane

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 05:13:40 PM »

OK, so I think I'm doing about the only thing that can be done (using the FOX mix to drive the stage monitors and guessing).

I'm doing the gender-change thing now to help with the snake issue.

Thanks for your input!

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 05:26:49 PM »

If you really want your monitors to receive the same signal as FOH, run the left channel to FOH and the right to monitors. Keep all the pans central then your 'monitor send' will have the same eq and mix as FOH but you will have separate control of its level.

The nice thing about sound equipment is that you can connect things up in different ways and try it.

If an unconventional method works for you then it can't be considered wrong!

Steve.

David Lane

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 05:46:06 PM »

If you really want your monitors to receive the same signal as FOH, run the left channel to FOH and the right to monitors. Keep all the pans central then your 'monitor send' will have the same eq and mix as FOH but you will have separate control of its level.

The nice thing about sound equipment is that you can connect things up in different ways and try it.

If an unconventional method works for you then it can't be considered wrong!

Steve.

Yes! I have done this occasionally as well. Thank you.

I'd forgotten in my original post to include a video of our group. Here's "what we do"... vimeo.com/album/2702895
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 05:49:21 PM by David Lane »

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 06:02:41 PM »

Like many powered speakers, the Behringer B210s have a male XLR "link" connector in addition to the female connector labeled "input". These should be directly paralleled together, so you can simply use a regular XLR cable backwards from the snake's stage box to use the "link" connector as an input.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

David Lane

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »

Like many powered speakers, the Behringer B210s have a male XLR "link" connector in addition to the female connector labeled "input". These should be directly paralleled together, so you can simply use a regular XLR cable backwards from the snake's stage box to use the "link" connector as an input.

Whoa! Mind blown... If I understand what you've written, it means that when I connect the powered speakers I can think of the "link" and the "input" as interchangeable?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.