ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP's sounding completely differing  (Read 10852 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: DSP's sounding completely differing
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 03:00:27 PM »

Hi all

Thanks for your replies.

I'm not shure a lot of you read that i actually stated that no EQ was used at all. Floodlight doesn't use EQ. That's why i'm surprised that a simple setup of 24db LR filters and delay can sound so different.
They shouldn't

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 06:25:48 PM »

Price is the deciding factor, IMO. I have used practically most of the DSPs that have graced the face of the earth, and remember specifically the surprise when moving from an Ashly to a dbx 260. Night and day using the JBL presets. Time marches on and newer presets prevail, still better, then oops, I bought a 480. The DSP was a joy to work with, however, JBL no longer had recent presets for the now discontinued DSP and I was left on my own. Transferring the 260's settings to the 480 was a giant pita, and after the transfer an additional 2 weeks of work with calls to both JBL and dbx resulted in a "usable" system.

Time marches on again, and my obsession with quality sound led to the purchase of a dbx 4800. Not for the faint of heart or weak of wallet, but by far one of the best DSPs on the planet. The sound is incredible, the support is incredible, the options are second to none. The difference between the 260 and the 4800??? Night and day, the 4800 walks away from the 260. The difference in manufacturer supplied presets?? Again, night and day with the 4800 addressing option the 260 doesn't have. So, price makes a difference, manufacturer makes a difference, and the presets make up the rest.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 07:43:17 PM »

So, price makes a difference, manufacturer makes a difference, and the presets make up the rest.

From my understanding of the technology price should not make a significant difference wrt accuracy of presets.

Manufacturers apparently use different EQ topology, just like all the analog GEQs out there are different.

Manufacturer presets really need to be looked at in the context of the EQ design used to capture the preset. Imagine trying to apply a +4 dB boost at 2kHz using an analog 31 band GEQ. Your +4 dB from a Rane GEQ will probably be different than a DBX GEQ, or a Peavey GEQ. Making them digital makes them repeatable, but not the same. It's the design decisions that makes them different

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 07:51:13 PM »

I wish Harman would supply Danley Sound Labs with some presets for the original Crown ITech and HD amplifiers. Basically shooting in the dark here with tunings given to me by the engineers at Danley from a different processor.

For my SRX system I have always used the 4800 tunings as there are none for the ITech.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 07:56:04 PM by Jonathan Betts »

jason misterka

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 08:22:31 PM »

Hi all

Thanks for your replies.

I'm not shure a lot of you read that i actually stated that no EQ was used at all. Floodlight doesn't use EQ. That's why i'm surprised that a simple setup of 24db LR filters and delay can sound so different.

Peter-

I had a similar experience as you when moving from BSS Omnidrive to XTA-made TurboSound LMS-D6 processors on our Floodlights.  It was a surprisingly big difference on a preset that included NO EQ filters.  My guess at the time was simply different quality AD and DA chips.

Most of the difference was in the tightness of the subwoofer frequencies and also how the XTA sounded above 8k or so.

Interestingly, the TurboSound factory presets ARE different between the two processors.

Jason

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 10:32:02 PM »

I wish Harman would supply Danley Sound Labs with some presets for the original Crown ITech and HD amplifiers. Basically shooting in the dark here with tunings given to me by the engineers at Danley from a different processor.

For my SRX system I have always used the 4800 tunings as there are none for the ITech.

Most Danley speakers don't need tunings. But I am pretty sure Danley has an Itech in house, or at least did.  Last I heard they were dialing in limiter settings for a bunch of products but that was it. If the Danley guys can give you a transfer function of the curve in their Danley specific processor, you would be able to recreate those in the Itechs if you have something like a VIBox.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 10:34:25 PM »

The original ITech processing was based on the dbx 480/4800.  You're using the best published numbers for your SRX.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Peter Hvedstrup

• Disco-Flex
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 03:46:52 AM »

Peter-

I had a similar experience as you when moving from BSS Omnidrive to XTA-made TurboSound LMS-D6 processors on our Floodlights.  It was a surprisingly big difference on a preset that included NO EQ filters.  My guess at the time was simply different quality AD and DA chips.

Most of the difference was in the tightness of the subwoofer frequencies and also how the XTA sounded above 8k or so.

Interestingly, the TurboSound factory presets ARE different between the two processors.

Jason

Hi Jason

It sounds like you experienced something very similar to what i did. Clearer higs and a tighter sub. The added tightness i the sub makes it seem like it isn't playing as loud and low. 

On another system i did a switch from my Ashly to an XTA DP-226. Here i didn't notice any significant difference, maybe since they are both from a never generation than the FDS-388 Omnidrive.

As long as manufactures don't have anything to win in having a common standard for how a DSP should act there will be issues for people like me who can't afford the manufacturer recomended (branded) gear. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 03:46:52 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.