ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SR4718X advice  (Read 6438 times)

Michael Bartoli

• Southern Wisconsin
JBL SR4718X advice
« on: April 24, 2014, 10:03:59 PM »

Howdy ya'll.
I'm a longtime spectator, first-time poster to the forum. I figure it's finally time to jump into the deep end and become part of the shenanigans.

Anyways, I have an opportunity to pick up a pair of JBL 4718X subs for $450. All I can go by as far as quality of the product is a brief text message from the seller stating that he's "had them for 5 years and hasn't had to replace anything inside, so yes, the drivers are original". From my understanding these subs can be a decade old or more, so the previous owner before him may have changed out the drivers and "my seller" may be none-the-wiser. Let's just say, for the sake of simplicity, they are, indeed, all original.

Is this a fair price for these subs third-hand? I have an SRX718S I'd be clustering them with. Amp puts out 850 watts @ 4ohm per channel. My application is usually indoor shows, not more than 150-250 people, but on occasion I take the rig outdoors for acoustic/jazz/light rock. I'm not expecting a typhoon of new bass waves to be coming from the stage, but an added punch and lowend boost for sure. I've read on here and around the web that the box build has a nice deep sound, albeit heavier than the 718S. Is this a "run, don't walk" deal or am I better off holding onto my money and continuing the search?

Thanks guys!

-----
Post edit:
I apologize for posting this in the marketplace. An admin may find it unfit for this section of the forum, and I wouldn't be offended to see it deleted if need be, or moved to an appropriate section. My reasoning was "I'm looking for monetary advice on gear someone knows more than me about, perhaps they can shed some light on my lack of knowledge". I'll get the hang of this!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 10:12:44 PM by Bertier »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 10:43:27 PM »

Howdy ya'll.
I'm a longtime spectator, first-time poster to the forum.

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Don Davis

• So Cal
Re: JBL SR4718X advice
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 04:39:59 PM »

Is this a fair price for these subs third-hand? I have an SRX718S I'd be clustering them with. Amp puts out 850 watts @ 4ohm per channel. My application is usually indoor shows, not more than 150-250 people, but on occasion I take the rig outdoors for acoustic/jazz/light rock. I'm not expecting a typhoon of new bass waves to be coming from the stage, but an added punch and lowend boost for sure. I've read on here and around the web that the box build has a nice deep sound, albeit heavier than the 718S. Is this a "run, don't walk" deal or am I better off holding onto my money and continuing the search?

Michael,
I sold 4 last year for $300 each so I believe this is a fair price if they have the original JBL drivers.
I'm not sure how well they will play with the 718's (I own quite a few of those) so I suggest trying it before you gig with them. Be aware that some of the older JBL drivers are reverse polarity. I don't recall if the 2241G is or not. Also, they are 4 ohm drivers and the 718's are 8 ohm, something to keep in mind if you are thinking of combining them on amp channels.
I liked them a lot but like the 718's more.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 05:00:18 PM »

The 2241 is not on the list of JBL drivers wired the opposite of todays standard. The 2241 will play well with 718s as will the 2242. Keep in mind that the 2241 will handle less power than the 2268s in the 718s so adjust accordingly.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Michael Bartoli

• Southern Wisconsin
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 06:00:46 PM »

Very good to know. I didn't think of the polarity issue, but my system controller is a JBL DSC 260, which has a polarity flip for each of the 6 outputs, so that wouldn't be a problem. Like I mentioned, he seems to lack a definitive answer to my "original driver" inquiry, just an assumption. The amp I mentioned is just to drive this pair, I run the 718S off its own PLX3102 bridged (1900 @ 8 ohm, 20-20) with at least 1.5dB of gain reduction on the system controller to play it safe. I like how it opens up at a higher wattage. I almost got rid of it when I was feeding it 800 watts at amp max on an older setup. I have since changed my opinion. But it's still just a single front firing 18. Nothing overwhelming. The addition of 1 more on each side would definitely seem like a nice step up, even if I'm not powering them to their full potential. If, for some reason, I'm not happy with what they do, I have another pair of EV 18s to pick up their slack  ;)

Thanks guys!

Sander Rooijens

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 07:51:11 AM »

The 2241 is not on the list of JBL drivers wired the opposite of todays standard.

Yes it is! http://www.jblpro.com/pub/technote/tn_v1n12b.pdf

Cone Transducers: the following models are negative:
LE8T-H 2105H
2118H, J 2123H, J
2202H 2206H
2220H, J 2226H, J
2235H 2240G, H
2241G, H 2245H

If you're buying a box with 2241 drivers in it however the box may not be as this is often reversed in the internal box wiring.
I recently replaced 4 2241G's in single 18 BR enclosures with other drivers and had to reverse the wiring to the new transducers.

S.R.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 07:56:31 AM by Sander Rooijens »

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 02:29:48 PM »

Well I'll be dipped in shit. Sucks to get old.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Don Davis

• So Cal
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 06:08:58 PM »

Well I'll be dipped in shit. Sucks to get old.

Yep, the golden years, I keep waiting for the golden part. The only reason I recalled this is I just bought 4 of the 2241H from Evan and put together a couple of dbl 18 cabs and had to flip the polarity to get rid of the valley I saw in Smaart at the X-over point.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 06:08:58 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.