ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: behringer married to Meyer  (Read 12342 times)

David Parker

Re: behringer married to Meyer
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 11:38:31 AM »

It is unusual, David, as most consultants who spec Meyer would never even mention Behringer in the same room. I would expect a Yamaha at the very least. Wonder who the consultant was?
Certainly nothing wrong with the X32.
 Oops, read the article, there wasn't a consultant. Makes more sense now.
soundbrokers had some mina for sale, $3950 per box. The church in question has 9 mina on each side. $36,000 for main speakers only and $3000 for the mixer!
 That right there tells you that the mixer choice is not matched to the speaker choice!

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 11:44:04 AM »

soundbrokers had some mina for sale, $3950 per box. The church in question has 9 mina on each side. $36,000 for main speakers only and $3000 for the mixer!
 That right there tells you that the mixer choice is not matched to the speaker choice!

Why does a mixer need to cost more than that? Maybe those speakers are over priced.

Modern technology advances, mostly driven by consumer electronics and finally hitting a high volume price point have dramatically dropped the cost for decent sounding  digital mixer. If big dog speakers enjoyed a similar economy of manufacturing scale maybe they wouldn't cost so much.

You might need to spend more to satisfy eyeballs, but the ears are probably OK.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

David Parker

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 11:47:38 AM »

Why does a mixer need to cost more than that? Maybe those speakers are over priced.

Modern technology advances, mostly driven by consumer electronics and finally hitting a high volume price point have dramatically dropped the cost for decent sounding  digital mixer. If big dog speakers enjoyed a similar economy of manufacturing scale maybe they wouldn't cost so much.

JR
Oh, I agree completely, but you have to admit that this is unusual in the audio world! I find it strange that someone who "needed" top of the line speakers would settle for bargain basement mixer. When you look at the budget for the entire install, the mixer's cost barely shows up!

Renard Hurtado

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 11:58:42 AM »

Hi all,
I completely agree with JR, if Meyer had sold (and is still selling) as many of these speakers as Behringer has sold this X-32 console, probably the price of these speakers woul come down to 1/5 of their actual price !

Renard from Curacao

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 02:27:01 PM »

JR

Agreed John Boy. Not to mention those cabinets should be able make any mixer sound good if properly deployed.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 05:11:33 PM »

Agreed John Boy. Not to mention those cabinets should be able make any mixer sound good if properly deployed.

Sorry, Bob, have to disagree. These speakers will let you hear the flaws in a mixer/amplification chain, while other speakers can mask chain shortcomings with their own flaws which are generally of higher magnitude than mixer flaws. High resolution speakers don't automatically "make things sound good", in my experience; they allow you to hear the nuances of what you are feeding them so you can then achieve something that sounds good. I think you know that already, though.

Actually haven't heard the Minas, but my X32's sound fantastic through multiple models of Meyer boxes.

Good point about "properly deployed". That will mess things up, too. Also, a poor mix will sound bad through any system.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 06:02:35 PM »

Sorry, Bob, have to disagree. These speakers will let you hear the flaws in a mixer/amplification chain, while other speakers can mask chain shortcomings with their own flaws which are generally of higher magnitude than mixer flaws. High resolution speakers don't automatically "make things sound good", in my experience; they allow you to hear the nuances of what you are feeding them so you can then achieve something that sounds good. I think you know that already, though.

Actually haven't heard the Minas, but my X32's sound fantastic through multiple models of Meyer boxes.

Good point about "properly deployed". That will mess things up, too. Also, a poor mix will sound bad through any system.

I'm not sure that you are disagreeing... or are you suggesting that these speakers will reveal flaws in the X32 that normally are concealed by lesser loudspeakers?

Ignoring microphones, the deviation from ideal for even cheaper mixers than the X32 are hard to measure without serious bench equipment.

Loudspeakers, even tens of thousands of dollars worth of loudspeakers are fairly easy to find measurable sound performance faults in (loudspeakers are hard).

I submit you could probably connect a mackie 1202 or cheap peavey mixer to a system like that and it would sound good.

With mixers the sound performance issue was pretty much settled by IC technology advances decades ago. The rubber meets the road for mixers in their feature sets.

JR

Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
Strange Bedfellows
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 07:44:55 PM »

I submit you could probably connect a mackie 1202 or cheap peavey mixer to a system like that and it would sound good...  the sound performance issue was pretty much settled by IC technology advances decades ago. The rubber meets the road for mixers in their feature sets.

True.  To that, I would add reliability and user support.
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
Re: Strange Bedfellows
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 03:25:33 AM »

True.  To that, I would add reliability and user support.
It is not the gear, it is the person mixing.  In the last couple of months I did a couple gigs where a VERY low end system with 16 ch of crap karaoke grade wireless and a set of the lowest cost powered speakers I have ever seen in person sounded better than a high end system at another gig.  I am talking a system where the wls units cost more per channel than the entire low end rig mentioned above.  10" powered plastic box on a stick vs a D&B rig with avid console.

I was thinking "WTF, pan to the far stack and notch out 800 Hz." "can't you hear the fucking feedback!"
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Scott Bolt

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 08:01:43 AM »

Speakers are the 2nd biggest contributer to good sound (the operator being the first). The mixer is a distant 3rd.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 08:01:43 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.