ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Current Digital console list  (Read 30743 times)

jasonfinnigan

Re: Current Digital console list
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2014, 01:41:42 PM »

The TASCAM DM-3200 has been available since 2006 and even though it is featured to be a recording console, along with the DM-4800 has been incorporated into many church setups in the US who were price sensitive, and all over the world where other manufacturers have no presence, no localized/translated manuals or import duties that makes the price prohibitive.

Tom (from TASCAM).

There's also a mackie TT Series but, it's rumored to have issues. I'm not sure if it's even still made for that matter, it was probably about the 2006 era as well.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2014, 01:46:11 PM »

The TASCAM DM-3200 has been available since 2006 and even though it is featured to be a recording console, along with the DM-4800 has been incorporated into many church setups in the US who were price sensitive, and all over the world where other manufacturers have no presence, no localized/translated manuals or import duties that makes the price prohibitive.

Tom (from TASCAM).
With respect Tom, I have some experience on this console, and it is awkward for live use.  I would have a hard time recommending it in light of the many good, purpose-designed live mixers such as the A&H Qu series, various Soundcraft SIs, and the Behringer offerings. 

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2014, 01:52:34 PM »

With respect Tom, I have some experience on this console, and it is awkward for live use.  I would have a hard time recommending it in light of the many good, purpose-designed live mixers such as the A&H Qu series, various Soundcraft SIs, and the Behringer offerings.

I don't get it but for some reason people chose to mix on consoles mean for recording still.. remember the Yamaha 01v96 and well the presonus series was pretty much only that when it started.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2014, 02:32:42 PM »

I don't get it but for some reason people chose to mix on consoles mean for recording still.. remember the Yamaha 01v96 and well the presonus series was pretty much only that when it started.
Unlike the Tascam, the 01v96 is very functional for live use, and was legitimately the best value in a small format digital mixer until the X32.  There are many thousands still in use; two of them by me.

Richard Turner

« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2014, 02:47:17 PM »

Tascam product added to original post

I'll look at them but at a glance having only 2 XLR out and 8 1/4" on the output side looks limiting,  theres a lot of nights I would need LR M, 4 wedge mixes plus a couple in ears mixes depending on talent requirements, 3

I'm not seeing a digital snake system, I'm guessing the second layer of channels are input by a add on card with a breakout box?
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2014, 03:38:25 PM »

Tascam product added to original post

I'll look at them but at a glance having only 2 XLR out and 8 1/4" on the output side looks limiting,  theres a lot of nights I would need LR M, 4 wedge mixes plus a couple in ears mixes depending on talent requirements, 3

I'm not seeing a digital snake system, I'm guessing the second layer of channels are input by a add on card with a breakout box?

I seriously doubt it has a digital snake system being a recording board.
It also may not have additional I/O either. With recording boards a lot of time the advertised channel count is the virtual channel count including the play back from the DAW not physical channels.
If it did provide addtional I/O it would likely be in the form of a a DB-25 connector 8 to 1/4 jacks snake which would still need a mic pre.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2014, 03:50:58 PM »

I seriously doubt it has a digital snake system being a recording board.
It also may not have additional I/O either. With recording boards a lot of time the advertised channel count is the virtual channel count including the play back from the DAW not physical channels.
If it did provide addtional I/O it would likely be in the form of a a DB-25 connector 8 to 1/4 jacks snake which would still need a mic pre.
Jason - a word of advice - you have made a number of posts where you seem to be guessing.  That's not particularly helpful.  Questions like these are easy to answer by looking up specs of the item in question, or letting someone else answer who does know.

Specs here:
http://tascam.com/product/dm-3200/overview/

The Tascam series has somewhat limited I/O on the surface, 16X10, but all of the channels are real - they just require external hardware connected via T/Dif or ADAT.

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2014, 03:52:53 PM »

Jason - a word of advice - you have made a number of posts where you seem to be guessing.  That's not particularly helpful.  Questions like these are easy to answer by looking up specs of the item in question, or letting someone else answer who does know.

Specs here:
http://tascam.com/product/dm-3200/overview/

The Tascam series has somewhat limited I/O on the surface, 16X10, but all of the channels are real - they just require external hardware connected via T/Dif or ADAT.

I was giving over all advice on how the recording desk tend to do their inputs, if the OP want's to look up the specs fine. but I'm not as it's not a board I would consider.

Tom Duffy

• TASCAM
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2014, 04:48:53 PM »

Agreed. I wouldn't expect to see it as a house mixer for PA use, and the church use is usually where everything is already setup and ready to drive. The combination of availability in other countries, cost and digital options (Cobranet, Aviom, AES/EBU, ADAT) plus recording I/O outweighed the awkwardness for some owner/users. 
Budget Digital Live Mixer is a category that exploded in the last few years, so anything from before that time is going to have a hard time competing.  The DM-3200 is still in production, so I appreciate having it included in the list, even for historical reference.

Tom (TASCAM)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2014, 04:48:53 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.