ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help on deciding Nexo GeoS system to buy  (Read 6570 times)

Dion Wibowo

Need help on deciding Nexo GeoS system to buy
« on: April 24, 2014, 01:25:12 PM »

Hi Guys,

Not sure if I post in the right place, please apologize because this is my first post and the lack of my knowledge..
Right now, I am in the process of starting my sound rental business and dealing with NEXO seller close to my area. With my budget right now, the only NEXO system I can afford are 12 units of Geo S12 speakers and 4 units of RS18 sub. The seller told me the ideal system for me to buy is 10 of S1210 and 2 of S1230, so that I can have one set of vertical array (5 S1210 and 1 S1230 per side) to get enough coverage on most of my events. But then some questions came up on my mind : Is buying 10 S1210 and 2 S1230 the right decision? (because I heard that some people prefer to have more S1230 for indoor events) Is vertical array really the ideal setup for my events? (since most of them are indoor event with height around 5 to 8.5 meters) How about horizontal array? or maybe another setup? if that's the case, should I add more S1230 and reduce the S1210?
Any NEXO rep or expert users willing to help me with this? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks

Below are pictures of some venue in my area, most of them are used for wedding, small-gig concert and special events like seminar, gathering, etc.

Cheers,

Dion W

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Need help on deciding Nexo GeoS system to buy
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 02:29:29 PM »

Hi Guys,

Not sure if I post in the right place, please apologize because this is my first post and the lack of my knowledge..
Right now, I am in the process of starting my sound rental business and dealing with NEXO seller close to my area. With my budget right now, the only NEXO system I can afford are 12 units of Geo S12 speakers and 4 units of RS18 sub. The seller told me the ideal system for me to buy is 10 of S1210 and 2 of S1230, so that I can have one set of vertical array (5 S1210 and 1 S1230 per side) to get enough coverage on most of my events. But then some questions came up on my mind : Is buying 10 S1210 and 2 S1230 the right decision? (because I heard that some people prefer to have more S1230 for indoor events) Is vertical array really the ideal setup for my events? (since most of them are indoor event with height around 5 to 8.5 meters) How about horizontal array? or maybe another setup? if that's the case, should I add more S1230 and reduce the S1210?
Any NEXO rep or expert users willing to help me with this? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks

Below are pictures of some venue in my area, most of them are used for wedding, small-gig concert and special events like seminar, gathering, etc.

Cheers,

Dion W
The S12 sounds fine, and since they have been around for a while now, you may be able to buy a used system.  That being said, do you need a system this big?  What are you going to use to fly them?  How may people do you have to transport and rig the system?  What size rooms do you plan to cover, and for what type of music?

Your mix of S1210 vs S1230 depends on your vertical coverage requirements, not preference. 

Dion Wibowo

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 09:15:40 PM »

The S12 sounds fine, and since they have been around for a while now, you may be able to buy a used system.  That being said, do you need a system this big?  What are you going to use to fly them?  How may people do you have to transport and rig the system?  What size rooms do you plan to cover, and for what type of music?

Your mix of S1210 vs S1230 depends on your vertical coverage requirements, not preference.

Hi Tom,

The biggest size of indoor venue in my city is around 60m length x 40m width x 8.5m height, but it doesn't limit myself to go outdoor venue as well. The type of music is quite vary, but for now the jobs I'm taking are usually weddings, gathering and seminar which slow pop to slow rock music are more common.
How am I going to fly them is depend on the location as well. Some locations allow me to hang the vertical array, but some aren't. But to solve that issue, I invest a pair of VMB array lifter.
One additional note, in most of the location, the audiences are seated on the same level. So that's why I think, why I should invest so many S1210 and not S1230?
Thanks

John Penkala

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 12:06:58 AM »

Hi Tom,

The biggest size of indoor venue in my city is around 60m length x 40m width x 8.5m height, but it doesn't limit myself to go outdoor venue as well. The type of music is quite vary, but for now the jobs I'm taking are usually weddings, gathering and seminar which slow pop to slow rock music are more common.
How am I going to fly them is depend on the location as well. Some locations allow me to hang the vertical array, but some aren't. But to solve that issue, I invest a pair of VMB array lifter.
One additional note, in most of the location, the audiences are seated on the same level. So that's why I think, why I should invest so many S1210 and not S1230?
Thanks

Dion,
         I highly recommend downloading Nexo's NS-1 prediction software and experiment with different configurations you will likely use. That should give you an idea of the system capabilities and flexibility. FWIW, I am a steward of a 56 box Geo S8 rig. Of the 58 boxes only 10 are S830's (30 degrees). I could see the need for additional 1230's if you do alot of "speakers on a stick" deployments. However, I would not trade off 1210's from the main array to get 1230's. I would want them in addition to the 1210's not in place of them.

JP

Dion Wibowo

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 12:59:48 AM »

Dion,
         I highly recommend downloading Nexo's NS-1 prediction software and experiment with different configurations you will likely use. That should give you an idea of the system capabilities and flexibility. FWIW, I am a steward of a 56 box Geo S8 rig. Of the 58 boxes only 10 are S830's (30 degrees). I could see the need for additional 1230's if you do alot of "speakers on a stick" deployments. However, I would not trade off 1210's from the main array to get 1230's. I would want them in addition to the 1210's not in place of them.

JP

Hi John,

So, do you mean that the need of 1210 will be around 6:1 compared to 1230? In the case of 12 boxes, with 10 boxes of 1210 and 2 boxes of 1230 should be fine?

John Penkala

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 06:25:55 AM »

Hi John,

So, do you mean that the need of 1210 will be around 6:1 compared to 1230? In the case of 12 boxes, with 10 boxes of 1210 and 2 boxes of 1230 should be fine?

If you are going to do 2- 6 box hangs, 2 -1230's are enough in most cases. However, before I spent any money I would do what I recommended in my first post with NX-1. Asking questions on forums is okay but I would also have your rep connect you with other Geo S12 owners who can tell you their experiences with them.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 08:56:04 AM »

Hi John,

You are following on the same path that many of us have - trying to maximize the applications that you can use a single system for.  This can lead to some compromises and can sometimes even be more expensive or difficult than having multiple systems.

If you are flying the array, you will virtually never need more than 1 1230 per hang.  If you are trying to turn the S12 into a horizontal array, that's something different, and I would argue something that the S12 is not the best choice for.  Generally if you're doing an event where a horizontal array is the right choice, it is small enough that you'd be better off with PS15R2s, and it will be a lot less work and weight.

John gives good advice about the calculator.

Kent Clasen

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 11:14:17 AM »

With 12 S12 and 4 RS18 you can do a fairly loud concert in those spaces.  Ceiling height is an issue.  Download NX1 as recommended. 

While the RS18 is a great sub (we use at our church), I would look at the new LS18.  I haven't heard it yet- but it has great looking specs and is very flexible with S12.  It has S12 ground stack and flying capability.  2x LS18 price is about the same of 1x RS18.

If you invest in the right cabinet mix and rigging accessories the S12 can really be a great solution for multiple setups.

http://nexo-sa.com/en/systems/ls18/

Dion Wibowo

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 12:31:11 PM »

If you are going to do 2- 6 box hangs, 2 -1230's are enough in most cases. However, before I spent any money I would do what I recommended in my first post with NX-1. Asking questions on forums is okay but I would also have your rep connect you with other Geo S12 owners who can tell you their experiences with them.

Okay thanks John. I already have the NS-1 and looking for the English manual right now. :)

You are following on the same path that many of us have - trying to maximize the applications that you can use a single system for.  This can lead to some compromises and can sometimes even be more expensive or difficult than having multiple systems.

If you are flying the array, you will virtually never need more than 1 1230 per hang.  If you are trying to turn the S12 into a horizontal array, that's something different, and I would argue something that the S12 is not the best choice for.  Generally if you're doing an event where a horizontal array is the right choice, it is small enough that you'd be better off with PS15R2s, and it will be a lot less work and weight.

John gives good advice about the calculator.
Hi Tom,
I think what I'm trying to do is not maximizing for a single system. When the first time I have been told to get 1 1230 per side for my system, I thought I probably can have more flexibility to play around with system with more of 1230s (I was thinking if I have at least 4 1230, and since I have 2 NXAMP, it's not impossible for me to rent in two places in the same time). But that was my first assumption, and I am also not confident with that.
Anyway, I can see that horizontal array setup isn't recommended with S12. Do you think it's also the case if the venue has huge depth but the height is low?
Thanks a lot :)

With 12 S12 and 4 RS18 you can do a fairly loud concert in those spaces.  Ceiling height is an issue.  Download NX1 as recommended. 

While the RS18 is a great sub (we use at our church), I would look at the new LS18.  I haven't heard it yet- but it has great looking specs and is very flexible with S12.  It has S12 ground stack and flying capability.  2x LS18 price is about the same of 1x RS18.

If you invest in the right cabinet mix and rigging accessories the S12 can really be a great solution for multiple setups.

http://nexo-sa.com/en/systems/ls18/
Hi Kent,
That's also one question that bugging me a bit. The seller really encourage me to get RS18 instead, although I see a lot of LS18 setup in the internet.
Do you have the experience using LS18? How it differ to RS18 in terms of the sound quality?
Thanks! :)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 12:43:16 PM »

Hi Tom,
I think what I'm trying to do is not maximizing for a single system. When the first time I have been told to get 1 1230 per side for my system, I thought I probably can have more flexibility to play around with system with more of 1230s (I was thinking if I have at least 4 1230, and since I have 2 NXAMP, it's not impossible for me to rent in two places in the same time). But that was my first assumption, and I am also not confident with that.
Anyway, I can see that horizontal array setup isn't recommended with S12. Do you think it's also the case if the venue has huge depth but the height is low?
Thanks a lot :)

If the height is low and you desire more even coverage, you are better off setting up a set of delay speakers further back.  Depending on the scenario, a horizontal array will likely be worse than a vertical array with low ceiling height.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 12:43:16 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.