ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: quote vs reply for posts  (Read 4558 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
quote vs reply for posts
« on: April 24, 2014, 11:33:05 AM »

Maybe this has been addressed previously but I don't see the difference between responding to a post using "reply" or "quote"
I would have thought a "reply" did not include and quoted text and a "quote" would. Seems like they both have quoted text.
Sometimes you end up with a great deal more text in a reply than is necessary.
I know...you can just delete what you don't want but then why have 2 ways to reply that are the same?
Just curious if I am missing something here...
I don't care enough to be apathetic

John Moore

• "learning the hard way sucks donkey kong"
    • Trinity Productions
Re: quote vs reply for posts
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 11:45:08 AM »

Maybe this has been addressed previously but I don't see the difference between responding to a post using "reply" or "quote"
I would have thought a "reply" did not include and quoted text and a "quote" would. Seems like they both have quoted text.
I know...you can just delete what you don't want but then why have 2 ways to reply that are the same?

I think something is broken...it should not be the same...
http://www.trinityprosound.com 209-832-8023
DEALER:Dealer for Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, Danley Sound Labs, VTC, Allen & Heath, Ashly, Denon,  Audix, One Systems, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate,  Trusst, Road Ready, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, dB Technologies, RCF, American Audio,  Rapco, CBI Cables, ADJ, Chauvet, Blizzard, Furman, Shure, Tascam, Elite Screens,  BenQ, Midas, Digico,  and many many more...

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 12:07:04 PM »

I don't see a reply button.  All I have is quote
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 12:23:34 PM »

I have a reply button right next to the quote button.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 12:25:02 PM »

There should not be a "Reply" button. This was decided on because SMF is not a threaded message based software package. Without a threaded view it is impossible to know which post someone is replying to without a quote, so we mede the quote the default. It seems strange to me that anyone would delete the whole quote, removing all reference to whatever they are responding to, but it seem to happen all the time.

In the "Curve" skin, which you can select in your profile under "look and layout", there is no reply button. I don't no why it persists in the other skin. FWIW I think "Curve" is better looking and easier to read.

Mac

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 12:56:01 PM »

I have a reply button right next to the quote button.

Me too.  I never use it... except now to see what the fuss was about!

There is also a reply bar at the bottom of each thread which opens up a space to add a comment.  I always use that if I don't want to quote someone else.

I do find it annoying that when I post the reply, it doesn't show it to me in the thread like it does on other forums, but jumps somewhere else.  I have to go back two pages then refresh the page to see my post in order to check it for errors which might need correcting.

Steve.

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 01:13:31 PM »

It seems strange to me that anyone would delete the whole quote, removing all reference to whatever they are responding to, but it seem to happen all the time.

I think that will be because the quick reply button at the bottom of the page doesn't include any quoting...
Riedel Communications

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 04:22:08 PM »

Correct. Quick reply sends only the text you type, does not offer a quote option, or can you add attachments unless you preview then edit the post. That is the mode I am using now.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 04:22:42 PM »

Correct. Quick reply sends only the text you type, does not offer a quote option, or can you add attachments unless you preview then edit the post. That is the mode I am using now.

This is the quote mode. All options are available.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 04:25:54 PM »

This is the quote mode. All options are available.

This is the reply mode using the button available. The difference between reply and quick reply is obvious. Reply includes a quote but no enhanced options.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 04:25:54 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.