ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dave Rat @ Coachella 2014 Google Glass Diary  (Read 7693 times)

Thomas Le

Dave Rat @ Coachella 2014 Google Glass Diary
« on: April 23, 2014, 04:51:35 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL7J7D_g9zA

Pretty cool video of Dave Rat using Google Glass and what stuff is used at the Coachella 2014 festival.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 03:06:48 PM by Thomas Le »

Jim McKeveny

Re: Dave Rat @ Coachella 2014 Google Glass Diary
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 09:01:14 AM »

A few takeaways:

Dave Rat is a nice guy. Lots of "Thank You"s to staff.

Coachella is well run if dusty.

L'Acoustics rules festival world.

Providers deep in VerTec and other platforms have been asking for ARCS-type cabinets for years.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 09:13:47 AM by Jim McKeveny »

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 10:52:18 AM »

In JBL world VRX is an ARCS box but completely unintegrated into a Vertec hang

Providers deep in VerTec and other platforms have been asking for ARCS-type cabinets for years.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 11:12:26 AM »

I have used many of both. They are not comparable in use.

I am not a cheerleader of L'Acoustics (or anyone else). I do not pretend to know what Coachella's "corpy/anti-corpy" values are. JBL is in US and more geographically proximate than France-based L'Acoustics. JBL has the tech, why no greater presence?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 11:23:13 AM by Jim McKeveny »

Raul Suarez

• Third Ear Sound
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »

In JBL world VRX is an ARCS box but completely unintegrated into a Vertec hang
VRX do now have V5 presets that make them play very nicely with Vertec systems. 

Raul Saurez
Third Ear
Raul Suarez
General Manager
Third Ear Sound

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 11:54:59 AM »

I should have been a bit more expansive in the reply.  The VRX and the ARCS are indeed very different boxes with different pattern and output levels.  That being said they are a similar over all design in the fixed arc array such that the shape of the box is the shape of the vertical pattern at some relatively high frequency at which the designers could actually achieve some pattern control.  The ARCS is a 60 degree box, the VRX a 100 degree and thus they achieve different ends.  I'd very much like to hang VRX932s under my 4888s, they would make an ideal downfill but JBL doesn't see it that way. 

I have used many of both. They are not comparable in use.

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 12:59:14 PM »

JBL is in US and more geographically proximate than France-based L'Acoustics. JBL has the tech, why no greater presence?

Good question. My suspicions is that while JBL enjoyed many years of being a highly regarded component manufacture for live sound products, they seemed to fall short in the past with integrated products. IOW, other companies seemed to build better sounding boxes with JBL parts than JBL could. They seem to to have overcome some obstacles over the past decade in that regard. The roll out of VT4889 didn't do them any favors though. But the later boxes seem to sound pretty good and the 4889 has improved with newer tunings. I haven't had the opportunity to here the VTX yet. But I'm betting it's a substantial improvement over their older large format offering. I think JBL is having trouble breaching L'Acoustics's foothold in the big box market because V-DOSC was generally considered to be the best for nearly 2 decades for line sources. At least it was a known quantity with L'Acoustic's turnkey only approach. And K1 is an improved version. It's surely an uphill battle for JBL. I'd like to see them do well myself.
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 02:34:08 PM »

L'Acoustics rules festival world.

I think you are reading too far into that. Remember:

1. Rat Sound is a big (maybe the biggest in the US?) L'Acoustics dealer. They are heavily invested in L'Acoustics, so of course you are going to see a lot of it on a gig where they do a whole bunch of stages

2. Riders rule festivals. There is a lot more L'Acoustics on riders than JBL, especially at the top end of the market.

3. L'Acoustics are a massive global PA brand, and so you see a lot of it everywhere, not just at festivals.

4. VDOSC was the original line source product, and so has massive market penetration. K1 is the natural evolution of that. Don't get me wrong, its a killer box in its own right, but it owes a lot of its success to the fact that lots of people were heavily into VDOSC and so were open to K1 to begin with.

That all being said though, L'Acoustics do have a massive festival presence, and its well earned.
Riedel Communications

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 03:32:38 PM »

Good question. My suspicions is that while JBL enjoyed many years of being a highly regarded component manufacture for live sound products, they seemed to fall short in the past with integrated products. IOW, other companies seemed to build better sounding boxes with JBL parts than JBL could. They seem to to have overcome some obstacles over the past decade in that regard. The roll out of VT4889 didn't do them any favors though. But the later boxes seem to sound pretty good and the 4889 has improved with newer tunings. I haven't had the opportunity to here the VTX yet. But I'm betting it's a substantial improvement over their older large format offering. I think JBL is having trouble breaching L'Acoustics's foothold in the big box market because V-DOSC was generally considered to be the best for nearly 2 decades for line sources. At least it was a known quantity with L'Acoustic's turnkey only approach. And K1 is an improved version. It's surely an uphill battle for JBL. I'd like to see them do well myself.

The problems with 4889 were directly related to 2 things:  The mediocre factory processing prior to V4 and the cowboy system owners who thought they could do better.  My boss is a BE for an international touring rock act and he didn't like VerTec because every system sounded different, and that was the EXACT issue that l'Acoustic addressed with their tightly controlled sales structure.  It took Paul Baumann to get JBL's head wrapped around the black box processing concept... and Paul came to JBL from l'Acoustic USA.

V5 is very good.  I'm waiting to hear a VTX rig doing an actual gig, but reports from folks I trust put it in the K1 class.  I've heard K1 sound very good and I've heard it sound very average, so I'll reserve judgment of both rigs until I'm mixing on them.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 03:39:40 PM »

I think you are reading too far into that. Remember:

1. Rat Sound is a big (maybe the biggest in the US?) L'Acoustics dealer. They are heavily invested in L'Acoustics, so of course you are going to see a lot of it on a gig where they do a whole bunch of stages

2. Riders rule festivals. There is a lot more L'Acoustics on riders than JBL, especially at the top end of the market.

3. L'Acoustics are a massive global PA brand, and so you see a lot of it everywhere, not just at festivals.

4. VDOSC was the original line source product, and so has massive market penetration. K1 is the natural evolution of that. Don't get me wrong, its a killer box in its own right, but it owes a lot of its success to the fact that lots of people were heavily into VDOSC and so were open to K1 to begin with.

That all being said though, L'Acoustics do have a massive festival presence, and its well earned.

Accurate on all counts, Chris, and I think a great deal of the acceptance of l'Acoustic products is their ubiquity.  Their products sound good to start with and mostly have similar voicing across model lines (yeah, there are a couple that really miss the mark).  While it might not be a BE's preferred rig almost nobody will decline it.  For providers doing festivals with artists that have top tier stature, that's a primary consideration.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 03:39:40 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 23 queries.