ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recone kit for TOA W-46J-8  (Read 4473 times)

Ian Borg

• Wavefront Electroacoustic Technology
Recone kit for TOA W-46J-8
« on: April 23, 2014, 08:44:38 AM »

I would like to find either a source for an original recone kit for a TOA W-46J-8 18" woofer, or an alternative kit that works in it instead.
The W-46J-8 is the cast 18" woofer from the 480-SE speaker and was also used in the SEB subwoofer. It handles about 360 watts and has a 3 or 4" voice coil. I used to work for this company during the years when they sold pro audio gear in the US and Canada (1980's) and it seemed to me that their drivers were often knockoffs of either JBL or EV units, so maybe a JBL or EV recone kit will fit.
Does anyone have experience successfully reconing this driver? I can't find recone kits for it mentioned anywhere on the web. The part number for the recone kit would have been DG-46J-8.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Recone kit for TOA W-46J-8
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 11:17:54 AM »

I would like to find either a source for an original recone kit for a TOA W-46J-8 18" woofer, or an alternative kit that works in it instead.
The W-46J-8 is the cast 18" woofer from the 480-SE speaker and was also used in the SEB subwoofer. It handles about 360 watts and has a 3 or 4" voice coil. I used to work for this company during the years when they sold pro audio gear in the US and Canada (1980's) and it seemed to me that their drivers were often knockoffs of either JBL or EV units, so maybe a JBL or EV recone kit will fit.
Does anyone have experience successfully reconing this driver? I can't find recone kits for it mentioned anywhere on the web. The part number for the recone kit would have been DG-46J-8.

Hi Ian, and welcome to the forums.

Try Pro Sound Service in Braintree, Mass.  Owner Charlie Tappa posts here from time to time, and customers give very positive reviews about both customer service and repairs....

Another option would be Orange County Speaker.  Call them rather than trying to find what you want on their website.  The TOA speaker is enough of an oddity that it's almost certainly not listed there.

TOA is still in business (IIRC) and you might be able to find someone there who has product knowledge.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Richard Turner

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 08:39:42 PM »

Not sure where you were located,

Canada options would be

www.tr.ca (Bellisle Accoustics)

www.santonaudio.com

Both have been in busines many years.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Ian Borg

• Wavefront Electroacoustic Technology
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 10:01:30 AM »

Thanks guys, I'll give those a try.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 10:01:30 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.