ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Out in the Field and I need an adaptor FAST !!!  (Read 10101 times)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: Out in the Field and I need an adaptor FAST !!!
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 12:50:41 PM »

.... At least they soldered it, ....

When I first saw it I thought it was hot glue or something.... The I read your post and had a second look.  ;D With the solder it probably makes a decent connection. It's possible that they needed some kind of weird connection between a normal 3.5 TRS and a 3.5 TRRS and this was the best thing they could make on short notice...

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 01:44:15 AM »

The connector on the right appears to be on a 1/8" TRS stereo patch cable (same connector on both ends) used for computer speakers (as evidenced by the green color of the connector). The other end is probably plugged into a stereo headphone out, possibly with a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter.

The connector on the left is *probably* for a stereo headset or earbuds with microphone, as would likely be used with a mobile device or some newer laptops.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Steve Kennedy-Williams

• Kennedy-Williams.net
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 02:01:37 AM »

This has been floating around for a bit, first saw it in a "dodgy tech" thread. Today, one of our lighting guys showed it to me and commented how stupid it was.

My take? It's got a strain relief, it's soldered, and it solved a problem. I would have wrapped it in tape, electrical if I had it. I suspect that it did have tape, and it was removed for the picture.

If I found it in a workbox after a show, I'd think three things.

1. "hmmm, what is this?"
2. "Cool, they solved the problem, good thing we stock irons, solder and zip ties in the workboxes"
3. "How often does this happen, and should I build/buy a proper adapter for the audio workboxes?"

Now, why it was needed? Some 3.5mm TRS jacks could end up shorting the second ring (mic or video to ground) which might cause issues.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 05:44:26 PM »

This has been floating around for a bit, first saw it in a "dodgy tech" thread. Today, one of our lighting guys showed it to me and commented how stupid it was.

My take? It's got a strain relief, it's soldered, and it solved a problem. I would have wrapped it in tape, electrical if I had it. I suspect that it did have tape, and it was removed for the picture.

If I found it in a workbox after a show, I'd think three things.

1. "hmmm, what is this?"
2. "Cool, they solved the problem, good thing we stock irons, solder and zip ties in the workboxes"
3. "How often does this happen, and should I build/buy a proper adapter for the audio workboxes?"

Now, why it was needed? Some 3.5mm TRS jacks could end up shorting the second ring (mic or video to ground) which might cause issues.

I wouldn't want to see in in an installation being used 7 nights a week, but necessity is the mother of invention (kludge) and the show must go on.

Did what he.she had to do - what's the problem?
OK Debbie, 'fess up.  It was your's, wasn't it?  ;D

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 02:46:25 PM »

I wouldn't want to see in in an installation being used 7 nights a week, but necessity is the mother of invention (kludge) and the show must go on.

Did what he.she had to do - what's the problem?
OK Debbie, 'fess up.  It was your's, wasn't it?  ;D

Ha ha....yep -you guessed it. You're all just jealous aren't you??
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Michael A. Yates

Out in the Field and I need an adaptor FAST !!!
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2014, 03:01:09 AM »

Here's one and yes it is real. Non internet.
I think that's telephone wire too...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 12:47:32 PM »

Well... yes... (blush) Just a little.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 12:53:26 PM »

I have done similar with 1/4" plugs - usually without the benefit of solder, just gaffer tape.

When I was young I used to use the universal connection technique of twisting wires together.  No need to worry about finding mating connector pairs!

And a device without a power plug on it can be powered up by putting the bare wires into the figure of eight type of connector used on cassette recorders or the IEC power connector... apparently!

Steve.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 01:16:36 PM »

And a device without a power plug on it can be powered up by putting the bare wires into the figure of eight type of connector used on cassette recorders or the IEC power connector... apparently!

Steve.

Plugging bare stranded wires into an outlet is standard fare where I live, for tools, extension cords, whatever.  Plug types vary so after a while people just cut off the plugs.

Not me, of course.
Mark McFarlane

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 01:53:37 PM »

The standard UK 13 amp plug used to have solid brass pins.  Now the half closest to the body is insulated to prevent the possibility of electric shocks from a plug inserted half way into a socket.

It used to be possible to hold two bare wires over the live and neutral holes in the socket and plug in an appliance with the old, solid pin plug and get a connection.

... so I am told!

Old:

Current:

Steve.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 01:56:46 PM by Steve M Smith »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 01:53:37 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.