ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Current Digital console list  (Read 30666 times)

jasonfinnigan

Re: Current Digital console list
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2014, 07:51:56 PM »

How bothered are you about buying your 2 consoles from the same "family"? I'm a bear of very little brain, but I think if I owned 2 digital consoles I'd prefer it if they both came from the same manufacturer so they had a similar workflow. Having swapped between different manufacturers boards a fair bit in the past it always takes me a while to get back in to the swing of where things are. It's far less noticeable though when I change between an LS9 and M7CL, because whilst they still have plenty of differences, they at least share a common heritage and workflow.
How much is a Digico SD11 over that side of the Atlantic? Not sure if it might be a bit much for your smaller price bracket. Might be another name to consider.

Very true. Especially if ever considering using a digital split with one as a monitor console and one as the FOH console.

The SD11 is about $16k over here. the sd11 has a very small control surface. I've only touched a Digico once, and that was a used one that a local rental house was selling off at a sticker price of $150,000 used. Digicos are good but no where near economical compared to other solutions. I think I would go for the Avid SC48 over the SD11

Richard Turner

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2014, 08:08:14 PM »

edited to add
A&H GLD112, again wasn't aware of its existance even though I hve been pro A&H in live and DJ equipment with past purchases

One question someone had mentioned the Behringer Xrack32 would function as a stage box as well as being its own stand alone mixer, Could someone who has this system in use confirm or deny please,

ASSuming the xrack

would behave as a digi snake in that mode on the lower end this is intruiging if the didgi snake box streets at 900 and the xrack at 1200 and x32 at 2800, thats under 5k (before case) for what amounts to 2 systems if one was run via handheld surface and the other went with copper snake, I can see why the fast adoption has happened.

How long has this X32 been a thing, are there many out there that have been powered on for 2000 hours yet? (again my spidey sense of the B brands past longevity kicking in here)
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2014, 08:15:43 PM »

edited to add
A&H GLD112, again wasn't aware of its existance even though I hve been pro A&H in live and DJ equipment with past purchases

One question someone had mentioned the Behringer Xrack32 would function as a stage box as well as being its own stand alone mixer, Could someone who has this system in use confirm or deny please,

ASSuming the xrack

would behave as a digi snake in that mode on the lower end this is intruiging if the didgi snake box streets at 900 and the xrack at 1200 and x32 at 2800, thats under 5k (before case) for what amounts to 2 systems if one was run via handheld surface and the other went with copper snake, I can see why the fast adoption has happened.

How long has this X32 been a thing, are there many out there that have been powered on for 2000 hours yet? (again my spidey sense of the B brands past longevity kicking in here)

The original X32 Console has been out for about 3 years. The other models came out later and I don't know the date of those.

The original X32 has been installed in a few well know places and toured with by a few well know bands for a while.

Capital Cities did recently start a tour with the X32 Console as well.

The issue with the X32 is not so much how long will it last, all digital board will need parts; especially motorized faders replaced at some point. The issue is more of will parts/service be readily available? I'm guessing not.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2014, 09:05:34 PM »

That is if you can even read that small of a screen.

Jason,
I can tell by that statement you've not spent much, if any, time with Soundcraft digital boards. The screen is secondary to the purpose of the analog style layout of the board. Press the SELECT button on any channel strip and the entire top of the board is now dedicated to that channel. The screen reflects the use of the channel strip, affects, sends and returns in detail. There is very little use for the touch screen once you have configured the channel outputs.

Likewise creating a sub group/MIX is as simple as pressing a single button and then choosing the channels (press SELECT) to be a part of that group or MIX. Any channel, up to 66, can be set to any layer for any purpose, and channels can be assigned to multiple or all layers if you so wish, following your move through all of the layers. Channel assignment and name is easily seen on the touch screen which has very large text. All Soundcraft digital boards have fader glow, and best of all the sound quality is second to none.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 09:12:00 PM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2014, 09:23:17 PM »

Jason,
I can tell by that statement you've not spent much, if any, time with Soundcraft digital boards. The screen is secondary to the purpose of the analog style layout of the board. Press the SELECT button on any channel strip and the entire top of the board is now dedicated to that channel. The screen reflects the use of the channel strip, affects, sends and returns in detail. There is very little use for the touch screen once you have configured the channel outputs.

Likewise creating a sub group/MIX is as simple as pressing a single button and then choosing the channels (press SELECT) to be a part of that group or MIX. Any channel, up to 66, can be set to any layer for any purpose, and channels can be assigned to multiple or all layers if you so wish, following your move through all of the layers. Channel assignment and name is easily seen on the touch screen which has very large text. All Soundcraft digital boards have fader glow, and best of all the sound quality is second to none.

I've used plenty of soundcraft boards, just never the SI expression. I toyed with one once. Took me about 5-min to realize we'd never be able to use it at our festivals.. fader glow outside isn't the best idea. I like sound craft in the old days, I miss the Spirit 8 40ch, well I not really. It was a beast.
But my problem with it is the same problem I have with presonus (much worse on theirs of course) but if I want a digital board I want it to operate like one, if I want an analog board I would still be buying them. I don't want a digital board they tries to act like a analog board as much as possible. to each his own but, I don't care for that.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Current Digital console list
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2014, 09:59:53 PM »

It gets a little dim outside, sure, but you get along on all other consoles without it.... Why is it a deal-breaker now? Also, Soundcraft Vi series gets plenty of traffic in the touring and festival circuits, and they use faderglow.

This thread is already filled with all kinda of weird misinformation on several brands, which could be cleared up by merely watching the promotional product videos for this stuff. I'm out of this thread...

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2014, 10:08:51 PM »

Jason,

Hey Bob, I've got a Expression 1 on demo, I've mixed a few gigs with it but alas it's sitting in the box this week as my input count requirements required our GB4-40.

Coming from the X32, I love the faders and the touchscreen. Fader glow is a nice touch as well. My only issue so far is the encoder response, it seems to me that by the time I am getting feedback on the screen I've adjusted the parameter 2dB from where I started, the EQ screen is particularly laggy.

Do you notice similar behavior, or is my console faulty?
Is it just a matter of learning to have a lighter touch?

The X32 has great feedback on the encoders, it's easy to make changes in .5dB steps. I wonder if the Expression is making changes in small increments and I'm just not seeing that reflected on the screen, or does the board respond to encoder movements with lower resolution. I'm curious as to your experience, I really want to fall in love with this board.

SI Expression Faders > X32 Faders. Hands down.

I've used plenty of soundcraft boards, just never the SI expression. I toyed with one once. Took me about 5-min to realize we'd never be able to use it at our festivals.. fader glow outside isn't the best idea. I like sound craft in the old days, I miss the Spirit 8 40ch, well I not really. It was a beast.
But my problem with it is the same problem I have with presonus (much worse on theirs of course) but if I want a digital board I want it to operate like one, if I want an analog board I would still be buying them. I don't want a digital board they tries to act like a analog board as much as possible. to each his own but, I don't care for that.

We (the forum) have gone down this tangent before in the past, I don't see how the workflow is any different on the Expression than any other comparable digital board. Pick a channel, adjust parameters, pick another channel, etc, etc.

It gets a little dim outside, sure, but you get along on all other consoles without it.... Why is it a deal-breaker now? Also, Soundcraft Vi series gets plenty of traffic in the touring and festival circuits, and they use faderglow.

This thread is already filled with all kinda of weird misinformation on several brands, which could be cleared up by merely watching the promotional product videos for this stuff. I'm out of this thread...

The Fader Glow is VERY bright, I set it to about 50% in a theatre setting and it was still bright..
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Scott Bolt

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2014, 11:24:06 PM »

edited to add

ASSuming the xrack

Richard,

I know there are a couple of guys on the Behringer forums and Sound Forums that are using this setup (ie the X32 Rack as a stage box/backup mixer).  As you pointed out, you would still need an S16 with the X32 Rack for 32 channel mixing and 16 channel output while the X32 alone could do this all by itself.

If you do a search for "X32 as stage box" you get a few hits that will guide you to people who are doing this.

John Penkala

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2014, 11:35:17 PM »

The original X32 Console has been out for about 3 years. The other models came out later and I don't know the date of those.

The original X32 has been installed in a few well know places and toured with by a few well know bands for a while.

Capital Cities did recently start a tour with the X32 Console as well.

The issue with the X32 is not so much how long will it last, all digital board will need parts; especially motorized faders replaced at some point. The issue is more of will parts/service be readily available? I'm guessing not.

With over 100,000 units in the field, I would bet that parts will be readily available for a very long time.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2014, 11:55:39 PM »

the GLD112 is not really un the Sub 10k price bracket I was referring to. I do like the GLD112 after using it a few time. I prefer it over the X32 however at $9,999 plus needed stage boxes (as there is only four local inputs) it's not really a sub $10k board....

Again not my experience, I purchased a GLD112 with AR2412 stage box and had a nice case custom made and was still well under $10K.
Mark McFarlane

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2014, 11:55:39 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 25 queries.