ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Current Digital console list  (Read 30771 times)

Richard Turner

Current Digital console list
« on: April 22, 2014, 12:45:40 PM »

I've been looking over the forums and I havent come across a single compiled list of what is currently offered by manufacurers, compared and contrasted in a single thread with street price discussed. I'd like you to help do that here.

Please not a discussion thread beyond the console capabilities and features, why its a winner so no brand bashnig. How long has it been out and how long it will be generally supported? eg.

LS9-32 has been on the market since late 2006 and has ben adopted as a somewhat standard piece, how many more years does it have. No one wants to be the last guy to buy in if the next shiney thing will be the one that takes off right out of the box.

AVID SC48 is a great piece if one was going to use the built in recording studio. Is it a waste just to use for a live show and conference desk?

I'm looking at the moment  for something in the 32 channel class, lkely 32 channel on 16 fader minimum 12 aux/group whatever the term is for digital land. Looking to narrow it down to less than 4 to choose from based on either not being capable enough or being out of the price range for expected returns.

Yamaha LS9-32
Yamaha M7CL
Yamaha CL1
Yamaha CL5
Yamaha QL5

Behringer X32 full size

AVID S3L
AVID SC48 full size
AVID SC48 profile based system

Allen Heath QU24
Allen Heath QU16
Allen Heath GLD80
Allen Heath iLive
Allen Heath iLive T

Presonus 24.4.2AI
Presonus 32.4.2AI

From Soundcraft:
Si Performer 1/2/3
Si Expression 1/2/3
Vi1/2
Vi3000

Allen Heath
QU-16/24
GLD-80
GLD-112
iLive / iLive T

Midas
M32
Pro1/2/3

Digico
SD11/9

Roland
V-mixer series

Tascam DM-3200
Tascam DM-4800

What else is on offer these days in the main stream. I'm not interested in anything boutique or small run stuff. but I guess its still me mulling over going with the adequate end of the market or dropping a ton more $$$ for all the bells and whistles.

edited to add to the list...again.., I wasn't even aware of the roland systems until now. Is there any market penetration on them yet?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 02:48:03 PM by Richard Turner »
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Current Digital console list
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 12:50:52 PM »

You can narrow it down all day long if you want but you won't get many recommendations until you tell us what the budget is for the new board. Grouping an SC48 with a Presonus, A&H QU, and Behringer board really makes no sense. And you left out Soundcraft's entire line.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 01:01:02 PM »

You can narrow it down all day long if you want but you won't get many recommendations until you tell us what the budget is for the new board. Grouping an SC48 with a Presonus, A&H QU, and Behringer board really makes no sense. And you left out Soundcraft's entire line.

I agree with Bob here.

But if you really want a complete list of consoles with pricing vaguely in LS9 territory, in addition to Soundcraft there is also the A&H GLD (which is A&H's most direct competitor to the LS9, IMO), the lower end of the Midas Pro series, Roland V-mixing series, and I'm sure a bucket load more I'm forgetting.
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

David Jameson

• SR Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 01:06:30 PM »

And also the Midas line.....
Jameson Productions
Anderson, SC 29625
jameson_prod at bellsouth.net

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 01:08:08 PM »

Another consideration is what's popular in your area.  Having something completely different than everyone else is using isn't always a benefit, as the learning curve could be problematic when cross renting, or hiring staff on short notice.

Knowing what features you NEED is critical.  Creating a feature list of consoles and using that as a comparison when you don't need those features is a wasted exercise.  And spec sheets are only part of the tale.  On the spec sheets, the Midas M32 and X32 look nearly identical.  They point out that it has different pre-amps, and higher quality faders, but that's really the only difference between the units.  Is it worth a couple extra grand for you for that feature?  It's up to you.
Brian Jojade

Richard Turner

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 01:18:56 PM »

Excellent, could you both reply with the model numbers and possibly street or MSRP pricing, I'm not really familiar with either soundcraft or A&H lines currently. I'll google and add street prices to my original post when I get home.

I'm still undecided as to where my budget will end up. Its more a matter of what is out there, how much will added capabilities of a higher end board cost me vs how much return for those few gig it is essential to have it for. That will be determined by client needs and booking rates.

It will likely be a matter of : A follow the herd buy an x32 low end, sc48 high end and be done with it or B: end up buying somehthing else that ends up being the only one for 500 miles

I dont see it as any different than weighing options of chevy/ford/dodge/volvo/mercedes/freightliner/sterling for mid size trucks. All would carry a load but do you buy a gasoline engine, or go diesel, does the deisel need DEF, is it running on 16" tires or 19.5s, where an would f450 be bare minimum but maybe a full 3 ton would be a better option.

I would like to explore all options before disregarding any out of hand.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Thomas Le

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 01:32:42 PM »

Are you looking at all the price brackets? If so, also look at sweetwater and see what they have there. No one but yourself can determine what console workflow works best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Current Digital console list
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 01:46:56 PM »

These does seem a little wild - what's the point in talking about Avid Profile and the Presonus at the same time? I don't think anyone could possibly consider both products for any particular thing. One is more than 10x the cost of the other.

But in any case.... to continue with this odd list of digital consoles anywhere from zero to infinity...

From Soundcraft:
Si Performer 1/2/3
Si Expression 1/2/3
Vi1/2, Vi3000

Allen Heath
QU-16/24
GLD-80
iLive / iLive T

Midas
M32
Pro1/2/3

Behringer
All various X32 based products...

Digico
SD11/9

Avid
S3L
SC48

Roland
V-mixer series

Yamaha
CL1/3
QL3/5

Google some of this stuff. Edit: narrowed for a qualification I missed in the OP.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 02:33:16 PM by Samuel Rees »

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 02:18:17 PM »

I'm still undecided as to where my budget will end up. Its more a matter of what is out there, how much will added capabilities of a higher end board cost me vs how much return for those few gig it is essential to have it for. That will be determined by client needs and booking rates.

I dont see it as any different than weighing options of chevy/ford/dodge/volvo/mercedes/freightliner/sterling for mid size trucks. All would carry a load but do you buy a gasoline engine, or go diesel, does the deisel need DEF, is it running on 16" tires or 19.5s, where an would f450 be bare minimum but maybe a full 3 ton would be a better option.

Richard, sorry.. but I have to wholeheartedly DISAGREE!!
Why BUY a Mercedes when you can get the job done with a Ford equivalent with no loss of income, less capital outlay and faster/quicker ROI?  It makes no economic sense to buy the Merc - if you indeed view it as an income generator.

If you are looking at new consoles then you probably already know what clients need what, what potential clients MIGHT need, what kind of business you are targeting and THUS, what kind of booking rates you are likely to get in your area.

In other words, all of the above should give you some idea of your BUDGET. That will automagically narrow your choices down from an Avid D-show down to a QU24 (or equivalent) or leave you in the D-Show range. In which case you won't need to look at a QU-24.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 02:24:40 PM »

And you left out Soundcraft's entire line.

Which is exactly where I would be looking at the moment given Richard's requirements.

Steve.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 02:26:53 PM by Steve M Smith »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 02:24:40 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.