ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Current Digital console list  (Read 30748 times)

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
Re: Current Digital console list
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 09:38:55 AM »

Waves can be patched into almost any digital board. All it needs is some sort of digital IO to the host computer. Yes, some of the Digico Consoles have waves built-in but they are most certainly not near the Sub 10k price point.

for a Sub 10k price point the X32 is hard to beat. There are some other offerings from Roland, Presouns, Allen&Heath and Soundcraft but those while in the same price point don't really have a very intuitive user interface. There is also a few of the Midas Pro Series in the Sub 10k range but don't buy them unless you like mixing with pop groups - I don't but many do.  there is also the Midas M32 which will be out at the end of the month to consider.

Personally I'd say unless it's in a installed situation, scratch the LS9 off your list. for one it's old, but mainly in festival/multiband environments you will hate it. The M7CL can be had used if you really want the LS9, and you probably like it better.

Pure bull!  I wish some of you guys would quit giving the impression that you have actually used these boards and that you know what you are talking about!

Chris Eddison

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 12:43:38 PM »

How bothered are you about buying your 2 consoles from the same "family"? I'm a bear of very little brain, but I think if I owned 2 digital consoles I'd prefer it if they both came from the same manufacturer so they had a similar workflow. Having swapped between different manufacturers boards a fair bit in the past it always takes me a while to get back in to the swing of where things are. It's far less noticeable though when I change between an LS9 and M7CL, because whilst they still have plenty of differences, they at least share a common heritage and workflow.
How much is a Digico SD11 over that side of the Atlantic? Not sure if it might be a bit much for your smaller price bracket. Might be another name to consider.

Justin Bartlett

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 02:26:34 PM »

Waves can be patched into almost any digital board. All it needs is some sort of digital IO to the host computer. Yes, some of the Digico Consoles have waves built-in but they are most certainly not near the Sub 10k price point.

for a Sub 10k price point the X32 is hard to beat. There are some other offerings from Roland, Presouns, Allen&Heath and Soundcraft but those while in the same price point don't really have a very intuitive user interface. There is also a few of the Midas Pro Series in the Sub 10k range but don't buy them unless you like mixing with pop groups - I don't but many do.  there is also the Midas M32 which will be out at the end of the month to consider.

Personally I'd say unless it's in a installed situation, scratch the LS9 off your list. for one it's old, but mainly in festival/multiband environments you will hate it. The M7CL can be had used if you really want the LS9, and you probably like it better.

I come from the perspective of a freelance touring BE who also heads up audio at my church.

The GLD series has an extraordinarily intuitive user interface, and the Qu desks are very easy as well.  I've overseen the purchase of three GLD desks and one Qu so far, with another pair of Qu desks coming soon - some for my church, some for other uses.

I don't care for the smaller Soundcraft (Si32 compact), mostly due to limited flexibility (unless someone can show me how to put effects returns on the same layer as vocals).  I find the Midas Pro series very counterintuitive, but I've only done 2 or 3 shows on them, so maybe I'll get used to them (I have a couple more shows on them - a Pro2 and a Pro3 - coming soon).  I have no experience on the Roland options.

The PreSonus stuff...ugh...they were the first to their price point, but really any other option is better these days in my view.

My favorite desks to mix fly dates on are the Avid desks - any of them.  Easy routing, easy setup, very intuitive.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 03:25:07 PM »

.... There are some other offerings from Roland, Presouns, Allen&Heath and Soundcraft but those while in the same price point don't really have a very intuitive user interface. ...

Not my experience at all. I own an X32 and a A&H GLD112 (which is missing from the list) and I find the GLD112 similar to the X32 on the simple functions and easier for many of the advanced functions.  The UI on the GLD is fantastic in my assessment.
Mark McFarlane

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 04:33:15 PM »

Not my experience at all. I own an X32 and a A&H GLD112 (which is missing from the list) and I find the GLD112 similar to the X32 on the simple functions and easier for many of the advanced functions.  The UI on the GLD is fantastic in my assessment.

Basic mixing on almost any of the small digital mixers isn't dramatically different, especially once you're aware of any nomenclature differences and access layers.  The major difference in the UIs come in when you need to configure the mixer parameters, whether global, mix or input-specific.  Major head scratching, random button pushing and frequent frustration is the first wave of response... but once you're set up and running, making a typical L/R mix with some EFX and inserted channel strip dynamics is pretty much the same whether you're on an X32 or Avid Venue series (except for Midas, it seems).
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 06:53:24 PM »

Justin,

You can definitely put FX on the main page on the Si series,

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 07:33:57 PM »

the GLD112 is not really un the Sub 10k price bracket I was referring to. I do like the GLD112 after using it a few time. I prefer it over the X32 however at $9,999 plus needed stage boxes (as there is only four local inputs) it's not really a sub $10k board. The cheaper Allen&heath boards aren't as nice. And don't even get me started on the Soundcraft SI line, I don't care for it.

I still like my M7CL-48 but I rarely use it, the lack of scribble strips is something I find a big deal now. It's not as much a big deal since it has no layers but I still miss them when I don't have them. Granted the M7 has more effect and ALOT more flexible routing than the cheaper options than the X32 but we rarely use all of it's functionality.

But like I said I would not consider the LS-9 for much. We tried it before we bought the M7CL and it was not a pleasant experience. Maybe they improved it but then anything besides simple fader changes was not a very quick process.

Avid's Consoles are great if you need the features/plugins. We rarely do. If you do a lot of A level bands this would be a good board to have though. a lot of bands are mixing on this now to have the same plugins as their albums do. Honestly if you are renting and it's something your clients want the SC48 has your best possible ROI, personal opinion of course.

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2014, 07:38:08 PM »

(except for Midas, it seems).

Yeah, Midas definitely takes another approach. I've mixed on a Pro2 and Pro3 a total of 3-5 times. I didn't really like it but I think that's a board that take a lot of time to get used to. I like keeping channels always in similar orders (no matter the band, just same general sequence of inputs) the population group on the console seems to just slow me down, were as on layers I'd always remember where to go. Maybe I'd like it with more time but I doubt it. I know many people who like them I just don't care for them.

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2014, 07:40:02 PM »

Justin,

You can definitely put FX on the main page on the Si series,

That is if you can even read that small of a screen.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2014, 07:51:17 PM »

That is if you can even read that small of a screen.

While the screen on it is small, the text on it is the same as everyone else's. I don't know of anyone making a large print edition mixing console, outside of the bottom status bar on the venues. The silk screening on every desk is smaller then the text on every screen I have seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2014, 07:51:17 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.