ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Issue with my Subs? I am wiring these correctly?  (Read 13436 times)

Doug Hammel

Re: Issue with my Subs? I am wiring these correctly?
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 02:47:05 AM »

Gentleman,
Thank you for the replies. I'll try to answer them as best I can.

When I said recently, what I meant is in the past year and a half or so. I've had these boxes since I purchased them at Carvin for nearly 5 years now. The only thing I've changed in gear was a BBE 4-way digital crossover but I've had that in this system for a little over 3 years now, so nothing "New" per say.

What's more interesting, is that of the speakers I have replaced, it was always just 1 driver of the cabinet, not both drivers, only of them was going out! it's so strange.. I have 4 dual 18" cabs and I think I've ONLY replaced 4 of the drivers in separate boxes, however only 1 of those boxes is the original deep-cab design (like the TCS sub cabs they manufactured for a while) that had B&C drivers and that cab has NEVER had any issues, these new NEO drivers I'm not a huge fan of.

The box I'm pertaining to that has the original drivers for over 6 years now is the bottom right cab. That one has the B&C drivers and not one of them have been replaced, all other have except for one.

Now.... the crossover settings, Subs are running anywhere from 40-100h depending on the venue and tone I'm looking for. So I dont think that's too out of the norm.

Crossover/processor settings are for the cabinets, not the room. Get the parameters from Carvin for your particular subs and then lock them out. Changing crossover settings every time/venue will lead to inconsistent results.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2014, 07:31:03 AM »

I have 4 dual 18" cabs and I think I've ONLY replaced 4 of the drivers in separate boxes, however only 1 of those boxes is the original deep-cab design (like the TCS sub cabs they manufactured for a while) that had B&C drivers and that cab has NEVER had any issues, these new NEO drivers I'm not a huge fan of. ]

So here is an idea, if you have two different drivers on one amp channel, the different TS parameters can cause power to not be divided evenly between them.  Did the drivers always blow after being paired both the b&c box?

David Allred

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2014, 10:26:25 AM »

Let me get this straight.  An amp with "not enough heat output" over-heated a speaker with "too much heat" dissipation ability.  In order for a speaker to not over heat, it needs more heat to dissipate.

The above can only be snipey if the used amps never clipped... which the OP said was true.  Signal compression or sonic maximizing has not been mentioned (limiting was), but could be causes, if used.

David

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 01:47:31 PM »

When you parallel speakers together, theory is that the power will be evenly divided across all of the speakers.  However, that's not 100% the case.  First off, any additional lengths of cable will mean those speakers get slightly less power.  The difference won't likely be audibly noticeable, but if you're pushing the speakers right to the point of overheating, even a small percentage can make a difference.

The other thing is that speakers themselves aren't always going to be identical. There is always a percentage tolerance in the design, so one speaker may be at 8 ohms, and the next one at 7.95.  Again, close enough that it will sound the same, but the one that's 7.95 ohms will be forced to dissipate more heat.

Since you're not blowing both speakers in the cabinet, it means that you're not wildly doing things wrong, but you are flirting with the edge of trouble.

This reminds me a session at an AES show years ago.

The guys at Solotech were having trouble with their Meyer 650R2 cabinets.  They typically set them up as a big long row in front of the stage, and would routinely blow the upper speaker in every cabinet.  The ones next to the floor would always survive.  Apparently, they too were running on the hairy edge of destruction for the drivers, and the extra loading provided by the floor probably raised the impedance of the lower drivers enough that they didn't draw as much current, and therefore didn't have to dissipate as much power.

John Meyer also explained that although the Meyer processor (B2?) for those cabinets was good at limiting the long term power going into the boxes, the design relied on the power amps to clip (or maybe limit) to prevent over excursion.  When the processor was designed, nobody was thinking that Crest 7001 or 8001 amplifiers would be used to drive the speakers.  So it may actually have been over excursion that was killing their speakers, rather than too much heat.

Is the OP running the cabinets standing up or lying down?  That might explain why only one driver fails consistently.  Those cabinets also appear to be quite different in design, with no front porting on the odd one.

GTD

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 01:47:31 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 25 queries.