ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Finally upgrading  (Read 11647 times)

Stephen Kirby

Re: Finally upgrading
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2015, 04:37:15 PM »

Professional remixers (who take pop tracks and make EDM remixes of them) love to jack the highs and yes - it is an issue. Most of what I play I've worked on here at home, and I try to tame stuff like that in prep before the gig. Very seldom do I play a raw track anymore.

The Big Two professional DJ software programs - Serato and Traktor - have auto EQ which is supposed to smooth out tracks so there's no bumps in the mix. Serato does a better job at this than Traktor - and it pains me to say this because I'm a Traktor guy.

DJ controllers have EQ strips, and if you're curious as to the practice of your DJs take a peek and see how they're set.

The old days where DJs were accused of setting smiley face EQs on everything are long gone. In fact, it's usually the opposite. I'm on house systems a lot, but if I'm on my SRX cabs I run a shelving filter of -4dB from 1200hz on up.

Maybe it's because they're doing their stuff on Beats headphones.   ::)

Scott Bolt

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2015, 08:56:10 PM »

In general, I think many people underestimate the amount of content the LF speaker in the tops put out.

I don't think it is the best sound for every gig, but a pair of double 15's with a horn over a pair of double 18" subs is a sight to behold with EDM or heavy rock. 

David Hayes

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2015, 08:44:16 AM »

I'm sure there are high end 2x15 boxes that work well.  They are probably 3 way right?  I promise you anything with a JRX or Peavey badge ain't it though.
My personal opinion is with 18" subs, I prefer 12" tops.  It may be tough to find a single pair of 12" boxes to keep up with those subs though.   That said, I run a pair of LS801Ps and a single pair of DSR12s does an admirable job in most situations.  I could easily outrun the DSRs with my subs if I was trying to, but with the exception of outdoor shows ( in which case even the pair of LS801s is likely inadequate) I am never in a situation where I can't balance the tops and subs and have more than adequate volume.

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2015, 01:28:30 PM »

I'm sure there are high end 2x15 boxes that work well.  They are probably 3 way right?  I promise you anything with a JRX or Peavey badge ain't it though.

And you would be pretty much wrong in the case of the better Peavey loudspeakers. The SP and QW series 2x15" cabinets are all quasi-three way. The considerably cheaper PV series are not.

In this case, the upper woofer has a wider response range than the lower woofer does. The bottom woofer does not come all the way up to meet the horn. The upper woofer does both lows and mids to meet the horn. That second (bottom) woofer is there just for the additional low end reinforcement.
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

David Hayes

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2015, 09:32:58 PM »

I understand exactly how "Quasi" 3 way 2x15 boxes work.   I wasn't aware Peavey made any, but I am fairly certain like everything else Peavey makes they are middle of the road or lower at best.

Rick Scofield

• SF Bay Area
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2015, 11:16:55 PM »

I understand exactly how "Quasi" 3 way 2x15 boxes work.   I wasn't aware Peavey made any, but I am fairly certain like everything else Peavey makes they are middle of the road or lower at best.
David,

I might suggest you consider to whom you are speaking when you post something incendiary about a brand. Peavey and Yamaha and JBL all offer a very large selection, including some bottom-level stuff.

Peavey has been known as a "value" brand for gigging musicians for a very long time.  I don't need to defend them, but I just can't deal with comments such as yours that are based on an opinion, but stated as fact.

You can be fairly certain of whatever you'd like, but there are a good number of products Peavey has developed that are considered much better than "middle of the road or lower".

There are several contributors to this very forum who have been, or who currently are employed by Peavey.

I'll leave it at that.

Thanks,
Rick
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 01:22:21 AM by Rick Scofield »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2015, 01:11:03 AM »

Peavey has made some cool stuff that performs far better than one might expect.  The problem is that those items look a whole lot the stuff that isn't so good. It doesn't help that the value pricing means any fool can own and poorly operate them, too.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Hayes

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2015, 07:19:42 PM »

David,

I might suggest you consider to whom you are speaking when you post something incendiary about a brand. Peavey and Yamaha and JBL all offer a very large selection, including some bottom-level stuff.

Peavey has been known as a "value" brand for gigging musicians for a very long time.  I don't need to defend them, but I just can't deal with comments such as yours that are based on an opinion, but stated as fact.

You can be fairly certain of whatever you'd like, but there are a good number of products Peavey has developed that are considered much better than "middle of the road or lower".

There are several contributors to this very forum who have been, or who currently are employed by Peavey.

I'll leave it at that.

Thanks,
Rick

You're right and I apologize. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2015, 07:19:42 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.