ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Reconing my Evx 180b for qrx 218 subwoofers  (Read 10636 times)

Conrad Muzoora

• Mbarara, Uganda. www.koolinvestments.co.ug
    • Kool Events Uganda
Reconing my Evx 180b for qrx 218 subwoofers
« on: April 22, 2014, 11:39:54 AM »

So finally one of the woofers in my qrx 218 boxes gave up the ghost. Started making some crackling sound and on opening up found a darkened partially burnt voice coil. I have a total of 4 boxes with around the same age approx 8 years or so. Decided to make an inspection of all 8 woofers and they all have some small cracks in the foam surround. I have looked online and landed on these recone kits http://reconekits.com/evx180areconekit-2.aspx. Anyone used these to restore their woofers? The original in the woofer has a voice coil that's painted with some black paint.
Conrad
www.kooleventug.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
Re: Reconing my Evx 180b for qrx 218 subwoofers
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 01:42:24 PM »

The EVX180 series doesn't use foam surrounds, they use treated fabric. Are you certain those drivers are really EV? I'd be leery of using inexpensive 3rd party recone kits too. If your current drivers are real EVs but truly have foam surround, it could be someone has already used a 3rd party recone kit on them previously. I don't recall ever seeing black painted coils on my EVX drivers.
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Conrad Muzoora

• Kool Events Uganda
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 02:29:23 PM »

Thanks I think it's treated fabric (cloth surround) sorry about the confusion. But the entire voice coil has some black coating. Don't know if this is due to the age of these woofers 8-10 years. They all show some cracks in the surround and I need to invest in 8 drop in recone kits. Anyone trusts the ones listed above? Am about to invest almost 1000$ and need people's opinions. It's much cheaper than new drivers anyway.

Luke Robinson

• audio gods
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 01:33:36 PM »

I purchased the same kits to recone 2 of my EVX 180b. I will admit that i had no previous experience reckoning, but in the same time i also purchased 5 EV factory recone kits for the 12 inch drivers in my QRX212s. I followed all of the instructions that I could find between their site, and various other helpful folks on youtube. I consider myself a very handy person, I actually was going to college for furniture making before I decided to be a live sound engineer, so working with my hands and doing precise things is right in my wheelhouse.

All of that being said it has been about a year since i did all 7 recones and the 5 factory EV redone kits are still holding strong, but both of the Knockoff EVX 180b kits had failed within 2 month of the repair.

I can't say with 100% certainty that it is the fault of the redone kit and not something that I may have dowe wrong, but it certainly seems that way to me.

After pricing the real EV redone kits for the 180b (at dealer cost even) I actually decided to try out using a Faital Pro 18FH510
http://www.faitalpro.com/en/products/LF_Loudspeakers/product_details/index.php?id=151070150

I was able to source them at a better price than the redone kit, and there was not work to be done. The parameters of the woofer are very close to the 180b and inside of the QRX218 I could not tell a difference, evan A-B-ing them directaly

Danny Reid

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 04:38:43 PM »

I have a JBL 2241g that needs to be reconed and I'm wanting to do it myself , and I'm thinking of using the same company for a re cone kit. If you go that way let me know how it works out for you please

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 07:28:23 PM »

I have a JBL 2241g

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Richard Turner

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 07:41:06 PM »

I purchased the same kits to recone 2 of my EVX 180b. I will admit that i had no previous experience reckoning, but in the same time i also purchased 5 EV factory recone kits for the 12 inch drivers in my QRX212s. I followed all of the instructions that I could find between their site, and various other helpful folks on youtube. I consider myself a very handy person, I actually was going to college for furniture making before I decided to be a live sound engineer, so working with my hands and doing precise things is right in my wheelhouse.

All of that being said it has been about a year since i did all 7 recones and the 5 factory EV redone kits are still holding strong, but both of the Knockoff EVX 180b kits had failed within 2 month of the repair.

I can't say with 100% certainty that it is the fault of the redone kit and not something that I may have dowe wrong, but it certainly seems that way to me.

After pricing the real EV redone kits for the 180b (at dealer cost even) I actually decided to try out using a Faital Pro 18FH510
http://www.faitalpro.com/en/products/LF_Loudspeakers/product_details/index.php?id=151070150

I was able to source them at a better price than the redone kit, and there was not work to be done. The parameters of the woofer are very close to the 180b and inside of the QRX218 I could not tell a difference, evan A-B-ing them directly

How did the recone fail?
voice coil burned out
voice coil rubbed out
spider became unglued before voice coil rub out
cone seperated from voice coil, above or below spider
surround tear
lead wire frayed- arced

Quite a lot of the recone suppliers found online are selling parts from mwaspeakerparts.com but that is a wholesale only company, their retail side can be reached through sundancespeakerrepair.com but I believe that they only do full recone service, not a seller of kits.

Some people still use the moyen black cement for the whole speaker, come use cyrano for the spider and a modified PVA for the surround and dustcap, some of it is a personal choice and how fast you are with your hands or an attempt to make things period correct.

I've done a decent number over the years but its all a cost thing in the end, last thing to show up on my doorstep Eminence omega 18, originally an LFA model no longer a stock eminence model, current Cost new driver Omega 18A $199.99 +35 freight for need it this week, recone kit 109.99 +24 freight no adhesives included ($15 give or take) now thats a full drop in kit so figure puttering in 2 hours from start to end by the time customer face time to receive and deliver the item and give quote for a recone is factored in

Now the real math begins I believe the new driver has 7 year warranty, is a recone worthwhile? not in this case,

same math foes for your 8 year old subs, do you chance a DIY job or pay out for someone who does reconing day in day out? or look at new fresh equipment.

DJxyz, techinically you dont exist on here unless you use your actual name, the one your mother gave you.

Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Conrad Muzoora

• Kool Events Uganda
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 08:17:49 AM »

How did the recone fail?
voice coil burned out
voice coil rubbed out
spider became unglued before voice coil rub out
cone seperated from voice coil, above or below spider
surround tear
lead wire frayed- arced

Quite a lot of the recone suppliers found online are selling parts from mwaspeakerparts.com but that is a wholesale only company, their retail side can be reached through sundancespeakerrepair.com but I believe that they only do full recone service, not a seller of kits.

Some people still use the moyen black cement for the whole speaker, come use cyrano for the spider and a modified PVA for the surround and dustcap, some of it is a personal choice and how fast you are with your hands or an attempt to make things period correct.

I've done a decent number over the years but its all a cost thing in the end, last thing to show up on my doorstep Eminence omega 18, originally an LFA model no longer a stock eminence model, current Cost new driver Omega 18A $199.99 +35 freight for need it this week, recone kit 109.99 +24 freight no adhesives included ($15 give or take) now thats a full drop in kit so figure puttering in 2 hours from start to end by the time customer face time to receive and deliver the item and give quote for a recone is factored in

Now the real math begins I believe the new driver has 7 year warranty, is a recone worthwhile? not in this case,

same math foes for your 8 year old subs, do you chance a DIY job or pay out for someone who does reconing day in day out? or look at new fresh equipment.

DJxyz, techinically you dont exist on here unless you use your actual name, the one your mother gave you.

+1
I would also be interested to know how they failed
Conrad

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 12:24:41 PM »

That is absolutely the right way to look at this but in this case we're not talking about a $200 driver the new advertised price is closer to $500 so a recone with an OEM kit done by an experienced provider is probably the best course of action.

I have used these pre assembled DIY kits and they are certainly quick and relatively fool proof but I can't comment on reliability as none of the drivers I have reconed are my own so I haven't seen them again. Anecdotal data suggests OEM recones are better than no name kits particularly for high power drivers where it's more likely the OEM would for example use better adhesives with a higher melting point on the voice coil assembly.

Conrad Muzoora

• Kool Events Uganda
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 12:47:24 PM »

That is absolutely the right way to look at this but in this case we're not talking about a $200 driver the new advertised price is closer to $500 so a recone with an OEM kit done by an experienced provider is probably the best course of action.

I have used these pre assembled DIY kits and they are certainly quick and relatively fool proof but I can't comment on reliability as none of the drivers I have reconed are my own so I haven't seen them again. Anecdotal data suggests OEM recones are better than no name kits particularly for high power drivers where it's more likely the OEM would for example use better adhesives with a higher melting point on the voice coil assembly.
+1
I need a total of 8 kits, that's a cost of. 8*130$ = 1040$ approx 100$ tax customs for all etc 1140$
New drivers at 500$ incl freight, add approx 100$ customs (complete drivers with EV badge attract more tax) = 600$ *8= 4800$

Cost saving for recones a whooping 3660$

All I need is real world opinions of people who have used these to give me the confidence to make the plunge. Thanks to all for the input so far.

Conrad
www.kooleventug.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 12:47:24 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.