ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to configure XTI6002  (Read 9519 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Best way to configure XTI6002
« on: April 21, 2014, 10:29:40 PM »

I know this is probably basic stuff but I need to know if there is a way to do this. I have been using my SRX system (2x SRX715, 2x SRX718) with subs coupled to one side for a few months now. Didn't do it for the longest time I suppose because of how it looked on stage and I never ran out of steam power wise so hardly ever really needed to but I have found I really like the thump I get this way and want to get the best out of the system.
However, my water hose size speakon cables are a pain to lay out and take down so I'd really like to just run one cable to the subs and one to the 715 same side so I'm not running 3 cables. Isn't there a way to connect the subs together but NOT bridge the amp whilst only using one output ? I'd like to use both sides of the amp keeping it at 8 ohms per side if possible.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Best way to configure XTI6002
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 10:40:36 PM »

I know this is probably basic stuff but I need to know if there is a way to do this. I have been using my SRX system (2x SRX715, 2x SRX718) with subs coupled to one side for a few months now. Didn't do it for the longest time I suppose because of how it looked on stage and I never ran out of steam power wise so hardly ever really needed to but I have found I really like the thump I get this way and want to get the best out of the system.
However, my water hose size speakon cables are a pain to lay out and take down so I'd really like to just run one cable to the subs and one to the 715 same side so I'm not running 3 cables. Isn't there a way to connect the subs together but NOT bridge the amp whilst only using one output ? I'd like to use both sides of the amp keeping it at 8 ohms per side if possible.

Help me understand: you have the 715s set up left/right, and the pair of subs on one side only?

The channel 1 NL4 output has channel *2* on pins 2+-.  Put your amp on whatever side of the stage the subs are on, run an NL4 from output 1 to the first sub, then use an NL4 jumper to the 2nd sub, then jump to the 715, and then use a long NL4 to jump to the other 715.  IIRC the processing puts the sub signal on channel 2, so you would flip the switches on your 718s to take signal from pins 2+- and pass through the pin 1/channel 1 signal to the 715.  You'd only have one 4 conductor cable crossing the stage.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 10:43:20 PM »

Isn't there a way to connect the subs together but NOT bridge the amp whilst only using one output ?
Yes you connect channel A of the amp to the first sub and then connect the second sub to the first. Do the same with the 715s as well connecting them to channel B.

I'd like to use both sides of the amp keeping it at 8 ohms per side if possible.
This will use both sides of the amp but the resulting load is 4 ohms because two 8ohm speakers in parallel equals 4 ohms. It is not possible to connect all these speakers to a single amplifier and maintain an 8 ohm load.. assuming you want separate crossover frequencies and EQ for the subs and tops.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 10:47:08 PM by Paul G. OBrien »

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 10:47:56 PM »

Help me understand: you have the 715s set up left/right, and the pair of subs on one side only?

The channel 1 NL4 output has channel *2* on pins 2+-.  Put your amp on whatever side of the stage the subs are on, run an NL4 from output 1 to the first sub, then use an NL4 jumper to the 2nd sub, then jump to the 715, and then use a long NL4 to jump to the other 715.  IIRC the processing puts the sub signal on channel 2, so you would flip the switches on your 718s to take signal from pins 2+- and pass through the pin 1/channel 1 signal to the 715.  You'd only have one 4 conductor cable crossing the stage.

This is how I run my 715/718 setup off one IT 6000.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 10:58:32 PM »

Yes Tim- sorry....you understand fully - I just didn't explain well. That is exactly right....one SRX715 on one side and the other 715 along with the 2 subs on the other side.
Your suggestion would be perfect except I am already using 4 pole speakon cable to bi-amp the SRX715's.........(probably should have mentioned that too - again sorry)
I must admit though I had forgotten that the SRX has that capability...

I wonder if I would lose quality if I didn't bi-amp. I use a DBX drive rack + set at 3 way and I really like being able to have complete control over the highs and mids.  I use the JBL published tunings. 
However, I have read opposing views on this. Some say there is no better way to run the SRX's than the way the JBL engineers  have designed them as full range (passive c/o)  but then others have said bi-amping offers far better control over crossover freq/slopes, high/mid gains etc and the sound is superior.

I used to use the 715's full range when I first got them but went bi-amp almost immediately and haven't really considered going full range again. I remember thinking the bi-amped speakers sounded better to me (of course - otherwise I wouldn't have invested the time and energy into making the change I suppose) but I wonder if it would really make enough difference to the listener.  Enough of a difference to prevent me from wiring the subs as you suggested....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 11:01:12 PM »

Yes you connect channel A of the amp to the first sub and then connect the second sub to the first. Do the same with the 715s as well connecting them to channel B.

This will use both sides of the amp but the resulting load is 4 ohms because two 8ohm speakers in parallel equals 4 ohms. It is not possible to connect all these speakers to a single amplifier and maintain an 8 ohm load.. assuming you want separate crossover frequencies and EQ for the subs and tops.
Thanks Paul.... I was busy typing my response to Tim when you posted this. I use 2 x 6002 amps and use one for the mids and one for the subs. I use an XLS2000 for the horns. The system is 3 way right now.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 11:06:17 PM »

This is how I run my 715/718 setup off one IT 6000.

How do you get on using just the one amp for the whole system? I use two and the XLS2000 for the horns as I just explained to Paul. The resulting wattage rating is about the same per side but I wonder if there is much of a benefit using two  XTI6002's and the XLS2000 to power the horns????   

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 11:08:39 PM »

Thanks Paul.... I was busy typing my response to Tim when you posted this. I use 2 x 6002 amps and use one for the mids and one for the subs. I use an XLS2000 for the horns. The system is 3 way right now.

Tri-amped?  No cable savings for you today.

I'd suggest simply trying the 715s passive.  You can do this a couple of ways - 1 amp for the tops and the other for the subs, or do a sub/top on each amp.  In this case put both amps on the sub side of the stage, run a long NL4 to the 715 on the far side, plug it into Channel 1, and use a short jumper to the sub on channel 2; use short cables to power the near-side from the other amp.

I'm not going to say you wont hear a difference, but the question becomes does any perceived difference make up for the added cabling weight and complexity?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 11:23:15 PM »

Tri-amped?  No cable savings for you today.

I'd suggest simply trying the 715s passive.  You can do this a couple of ways - 1 amp for the tops and the other for the subs, or do a sub/top on each amp.  In this case put both amps on the sub side of the stage, run a long NL4 to the 715 on the far side, plug it into Channel 1, and use a short jumper to the sub on channel 2; use short cables to power the near-side from the other amp.

I'm not going to say you wont hear a difference, but the question becomes does any perceived difference make up for the added cabling weight and complexity?

I've actually never used the DSP in the amps other than limiting - in the XLS2000 into the horns mainly.
Your second option would presumably allow me to use the c/o settings in the amps and actually eliminate (if running passive tops) my Crown XLS2000, my DBX DRPA and a whole bunch of cabling.........tempting but I'd have to spend some time doing some comparisons.
Problem is whenever I try to do something like this, it takes so long for me to rewire everything, by the time I have it up and running, I have forgotten what it sounded like before.....

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 11:34:52 PM »

Once you have it set up, monitor the amp with your computer.  Especially when used for subs, it's very easy to have a configuration in which the amp's output is not what clips first, unless you boost the output section quite a bit (8dB in a friend's case).

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 11:34:52 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.