ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to configure XTI6002  (Read 9497 times)

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
Re: Best way to configure XTI6002
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 11:43:20 PM »

The only time I ever bi amp my 715's is when I'm running four 718's and I need just a little more output from the cabinet. 715's(passive) are perfect when mixed with a couple of 718's.

One amp, one NL4 from channel 1 to sub, one 20amp circuit....
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:51:57 PM by Jonathan Betts »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 12:17:13 AM »

The only time I ever bi amp my 715's is when I'm running four 718's and I need just a little more output from the cabinet. 715's(passive) are perfect when mixed with a couple of 718's.

One amp, one NL4 from channel 1 to sub, one 20amp circuit....

Do you notice much of a difference in overall quality when you bi-amp the 715's??

I run my system pretty modestly usually from one 20 circuit and I have never yet had any problems with running the 3 amps off one receptacle. However, running one amp would have an advantage there.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 12:19:42 AM »

Once you have it set up, monitor the amp with your computer.  Especially when used for subs, it's very easy to have a configuration in which the amp's output is not what clips first, unless you boost the output section quite a bit (8dB in a friend's case).
That would be unknown territory for me !!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 12:27:30 AM »

I've actually never used the DSP in the amps other than limiting - in the XLS2000 into the horns mainly.
Your second option would presumably allow me to use the c/o settings in the amps and actually eliminate (if running passive tops) my Crown XLS2000, my DBX DRPA and a whole bunch of cabling.........tempting but I'd have to spend some time doing some comparisons.
Problem is whenever I try to do something like this, it takes so long for me to rewire everything, by the time I have it up and running, I have forgotten what it sounded like before.....

I just opened System Architect 3.30 and loaded the SRX/Xti2 device files into a virtual 6002.  You want preset #2.  :)

Two amplifiers, Debbie.  Only 1 long cable.  Less filling, saves the puppies & kittens, etc.

Padrick's suggestion about monitoring your amps is good.  You need either Band Manager or System Architect. The XTi only have USB connections, but if both amps are set the same you probably need to monitor only 1 of them.  The software is free at http://hiqnet.harmanpro.com/software/
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 12:37:56 AM »

I just opened System Architect 3.30 and loaded the SRX/Xti2 device files into a virtual 6002.  You want preset #2.  :)

Two amplifiers, Debbie.  Only 1 long cable.  Less filling, saves the puppies & kittens, etc.

Padrick's suggestion about monitoring your amps is good.  You need either Band Manager or System Architect. The XTi only have USB connections, but if both amps are set the same you probably need to monitor only 1 of them.  The software is free at http://hiqnet.harmanpro.com/software/

That would mean bridging the amp though right? I have always tried to avoid bridging amps - I know I shouldn't be worried especially with an amp like this but I try really hard to keep my amps running cool with minimum distortion.
I'd also have to limit the amp quite a bit as the rating according to JBL is 6000 watts into 4 ohms right? Or did you find a way to use one cable without bridging?? BTW... I really appreciate you looking into this for me  :)

The only time I used system architect was to update the firmware in the amps. I've never used it for anything else. I suppose I should check it out !!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 12:57:59 AM »

That would mean bridging the amp though right? I have always tried to avoid bridging amps - I know I shouldn't be worried especially with an amp like this but I try really hard to keep my amps running cool with minimum distortion.
I'd also have to limit the amp quite a bit as the rating according to JBL is 6000 watts into 4 ohms right? Or did you find a way to use one cable without bridging?? BTW... I really appreciate you looking into this for me  :)

The only time I used system architect was to update the firmware in the amps. I've never used it for anything else. I suppose I should check it out !!

No, the amp will not be bridged, although it uses the "Input Y" setting to send the Channel 1 input to both channels.

In System Architect (and probably Band Manager) I was able to have independent pass band output levels for the preset I mentioned.  You can hype (or not) the subs to your liking.  It was for this that Padrick suggested real time monitoring of amp i/o levels.  Once you get used to your rig this way, you'll probably not need to monitor the amp(s) unless you are doing something new or pushing it harder than previously.

A quick look inside shows peak voltage limiters for each pass band are already set.  Debbie, it's really this simple.  I know, it's not supposed to be - and don't tell anyone about the magic inside the boxes and how you turned speaker cables into thin air. 8)

Triamping with these products, while instructive (and therefore valuable as an academic exercise), it provides little net gain at showtime unless you're already working close to the edge or in some VERY dicey acoustic environments.  I've been down this road out of necessity, 25+ years ago.  With today's gear it's not so necessary...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 08:04:52 AM »

Debbie if you have an iPad, the crown USBx is also a monitoring option....

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 08:27:57 AM »

For the one cable solution you will need the 8 wire in one cable.  NL8 connectors. 
http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nl8mpr-speakon-connector-8-pole-chassis-mount--092-055

You would have to see if the speakers have the NL8  or make a box for the receiving end at the stage behind the speakers.   

We run the NL8 for tri amp system and it works very well having one cable to the far side to run tops and subs.  You might be able to run the last pair as a monitor send also. 

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 11:08:44 AM »

Your desire to tri-amp is what forces the cable count up.  For the configuration you describe  there are many ways you could go but here is one way to keep the cables to a minimum.  This is easy to do and does not require any soldering but is somewhat verbose to describe.

You need  (times 2) 
  2' chunk of 4C speaker cable
  NL4 connector
  NL4 coupler (NL4MXX)

Make a short pigtail that will allow you to patch the output from your XTi6002 and XLS2002 into a single 4 conductor speaker cable:

-  Attach the NL4 speakon connector to one end

-  strip back the outer cover on the other end far enough to leave individual conductors long enough to stretch between the XLS2002 and the XTi6002 in the amp rack.

-  Use the screw terminals on the backs of the amps to attach the bare ends.

xti6002 ch1 +   ----->      NL4 1+ 
             ch1 -    ------>     NL4 1-
  xls2002 ch1 +  ------->    NL4 2+
              ch1-    ------->    NL4 2-

Use the speakon couplers to attach the pigtail NL4 to a regular 4C speaker cable of the desired length.  This is the cable that will plug into the SRX715 for Bi-Amp operation.

You need to make an identical set up for the "other" side (left vs right.)

With these two pigtails you can run your cables as follows assuming the amps are on the right side and the subs are clustered near the amps.  All amps run stereo

XLS2002       ch1
XTi6002 #1   ch1      --->  pigtail   ---->  4C cable to 715 Left (long)

XLS2002       ch2   
XTi6002 #1   ch2   --->  pigtail   ---->   4C cable to 715  right (short)

XTi6002 #2    ch1  ---->   718   (short)
                    ch2  ----->  718   (short)

This setup lets you do it with 1x long 4C cable and 3x short 4C cables.  You can just leave the pigtails wired up in the amp rack whether you use them or not.

Again lots of variations you could use and also ways to pretty up the pigtails with banana plugs or additional NL4's at the amp end. You still need the driverack though as no other way to split the signals up for tri-amp.

-
--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 05:04:55 PM »

Gonna get my rack out of the trailer and play. Mike....I tried to follow your instructions and I got a little lost I am afraid. I enjoy wiring racks - I built a nice patchbay in mine to easily connect my biamped 4 pole speakon cables and my XLR inputs to my DRPA. So doing some creative wiring would not be a problem but I couldn't follow and lost the plot I'm afraid. I do appreciate the time you took putting all the info together though.
I'll read it again with the amps in front of me and see if I can understand it better.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 05:04:55 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 19 queries.