ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trouble setting up a PA System  (Read 3277 times)

Iván Aguilar

Trouble setting up a PA System
« on: April 19, 2014, 11:24:04 AM »

Hi everyone  ;D
I'm setting up a PA System with these hardware:
So I was willing to wire the amp on bridged mode and have the speakers on a mixed parallel/series setup (so it has a total impedance of 8Ohms), all with speakon cables, but can't figure out how.

Could you please explain how to do this?
Thank you very much in advance  ;)

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
Setting Up PA System
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 11:55:03 AM »

Welcome to PSW!

Given the published amp specifications ("output power: 2x 500W into 4 Ohms, 2x 350W into 8 ohms (@1kHz, THD<=0.1%). Bridged mode: 1x 800W into 8 Ohms"), I see no advantage in running in Bridged mode, and would just hook up two speakers per side so each channel sees 4 Ohms.  You can still run mono by feeding the same signal to both channels.
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: Trouble setting up a PA System
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 11:57:37 AM »

Hi everyone  ;D
So I was willing to wire the amp on bridged mode and have the speakers on a mixed parallel/series setup (so it has a total impedance of 8Ohms), all with speakon cables, but can't figure out how.

Could you please explain how to do this?
Thank you very much in advance  ;)

With regular speakon cables this can't be done. At best you could wire everything in parallel. To wire things in "series-parallel" you will have to make custom cables.

You could not bridge the amp and run in stereo with two cabinets in parallel.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 12:14:55 PM »

Hi everyone  ;D

Those speakers are 8 ohm.  Wiring them in series will be 16 ohm; wiring them in parallel will be 4 ohm. Connecting the output of the amp to one speaker then linking from that speaker to the next wires them parallel creating a 4 ohm load.

You should connect 1 speaker per channel.  You can then run in stereo or parallel input mode.  Parallel input mode just copies the left input signal to the right for mono operation.  It is not advisable to run this setup in bridged mode.

Jens Droessler

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 10:29:27 PM »

Wiring the speakers to have a parallel/series matrix to get 8 ohms total and bridge the amp has absolutely no advantage compared to using the amplifier in stereo mode and just using two speakers in parallel per channel.

Also, it is not advisable to put two (or more) speaker boxes with integrated passive crossover in series. Especially not if they are such cheap ones, because of the drift in tolerance of the parts.
"The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 10:29:27 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.