ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie needs advice...  (Read 2308 times)

Philip Schrantz

Newbie needs advice...
« on: April 22, 2014, 11:03:34 AM »

Hi,

As the bass player in a five piece cover band I also own/run our PA (In accordance with the unwritten law).  Our current FOH system is PRX612m's over PRX618s (not XLFs).  I like the tops very much, but the subs not so much.  In addition to the compromise the 618s represent sonically, they're also big and unwieldy.  I'd like to replace them with something that's better in both regards.  Any replacement would need to be self-powered.  We play small to medium sized rooms (75 - 200) and almost never outdoors.  I also occasionally do some DJ work with the system.

I understand physics and know this about compromises, but my back (blown L4 and L5) makes it difficult to haul around the big JBL boxes.  I like the idea of the Ksub, but have no practical experience and I'm sure there are other viable options I'm not considering.

Given all that, what would you recommend? 

Many thanks,

P.L.
P.L. Schrantz

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: Newbie needs advice...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 11:36:05 AM »

Based not on personal experience but on recommendations from many other posts on a similar topic, I'd recommend swapping for the XLF version either PRX618 or PRX718 and also adding casters to the back for transport.  The PRX618-XLF or 718-XLF gets better marks consistently than any of the others in it's class.

That may not solve all of your lifting issues but it sure helps in load in/out.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Newbie needs advice...
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 11:59:28 AM »

RCF ART905AS. It is more compact, lightweight, sounds good and has the full crossover you will need for the JBL tops.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber