ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Name that HF driver!  (Read 14500 times)

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
Re: Name that HF driver!
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 12:31:28 AM »

You needed RCF ND1711 diaphragms. The 1710 has mylar suspension. The diaphragm you need has titanium suspension ... less distortion but at the expense of VHF efficiency.  I doubt if you will be able to buy those other than from EAW.

Exactly. 1711 Diaphragms are only available from EAW. And now that they're installed the rig is back to normal.

John Penkala

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 03:29:37 PM »

Speaking from my experience, sometimes it's an EAW proprietary part and sometimes it's off the shelf. If you're going to play Doctor with your speakers you need to know for certain what the ramifications are when you mix and match components.

Most recent example...I've got 30 some odd RCF diaphragms that came out of a used KF730 rig. They fit in KF730 HF drivers. The model number is one number off of the EAW model number. The old owner tried to save some bucks...the RCF parts are half price. I spent a lot of time and effort trying to nail down exactly what was wrong and why it was wrong so I could convince my employer to shell out money on a "working" PA. I have examples of aftermarket re-cone kits that are wired reverse polarity, modifications to cone kits so they'll work in something else...

If someone is going to put off the shelf components in their cabinets they might as well rip the EAW badge off the front and put their own name on there.

END RANT

To the OP, I'm not sure who makes that driver.

Matt
PS: Does anyone want to buy 30ish used RCF ND1710 diaphragms? They fit in EAW KF730 but they sure don't sound right!

Matt,
         I agree. I never use 3rd party re-cone kits or diaphragms. However, if I can get the EXACT same part as the OEM part for 1/2 the price, it's ridiculous not to. I use UX8800's and 3600's with my EAW systems. The processing using the GF greyboxes is so specific that using anything other than OEM drivers is just a waste.
         Did you ever find out what in the world happened to that KF730 rig for it to need 30 diaphragms?

JP

Gus Housen

just as a FYI
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 05:08:40 PM »

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 01:38:49 AM »

Matt,
         I agree. I never use 3rd party re-cone kits or diaphragms. However, if I can get the EXACT same part as the OEM part for 1/2 the price, it's ridiculous not to. I use UX8800's and 3600's with my EAW systems. The processing using the GF greyboxes is so specific that using anything other than OEM drivers is just a waste.
         Did you ever find out what in the world happened to that KF730 rig for it to need 30 diaphragms?

JP

John,

It's a long story but some years ago my employer acquired used cabinets to add to the KF730 inventory, as well as a good number of "spare" diaphragms and cone drivers. Over time these "spare" parts made their way into various cabinets and the result was a...variance in performance. When I moved from freelance to employee about a year ago I took it upon myself to get to the bottom of the problem, which was a very time consuming process, with many emails back and forth to EAW service to confirm what exactly was supposed to be in there (there's a couple revisions of the 1711 diaphragm). Steve Davis and everyone in service at EAW were very helpful and went above and beyond to get us sorted out.

Here's a case where you simply can't get the correct diaphragms outside of the EAW parts supply BUT you can get a similar one for half price and for some people that's good enough I guess. It's not the first time I've experienced these types of "economical" repairs over the years and yes, if you do the research and spend the time there is a savings to be had IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

I will say this: By over pricing the parts EAW is creating the conditions for this to happen. If the parts were reasonably priced and available no one would try to find who made what driver and what part fits into what... you'd just buy the right parts. Or EAW could share information about which drivers are off the shelf and which ones are proprietary so we don't have to guess. It's not going to happen but I can dream can't I?

Matt

Peter Morris

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 05:16:33 AM »

John,

It's a long story but some years ago my employer acquired used cabinets to add to the KF730 inventory, as well as a good number of "spare" diaphragms and cone drivers. Over time these "spare" parts made their way into various cabinets and the result was a...variance in performance. When I moved from freelance to employee about a year ago I took it upon myself to get to the bottom of the problem, which was a very time consuming process, with many emails back and forth to EAW service to confirm what exactly was supposed to be in there (there's a couple revisions of the 1711 diaphragm). Steve Davis and everyone in service at EAW were very helpful and went above and beyond to get us sorted out.

Here's a case where you simply can't get the correct diaphragms outside of the EAW parts supply BUT you can get a similar one for half price and for some people that's good enough I guess. It's not the first time I've experienced these types of "economical" repairs over the years and yes, if you do the research and spend the time there is a savings to be had IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

... and the one for half the price is the same quality, and made by the same manufacture ... I just has a slight different specification.

I will say this: By over pricing the parts EAW is creating the conditions for this to happen. If the parts were reasonably priced and available no one would try to find who made what driver and what part fits into what... you'd just buy the right parts. Or EAW could share information about which drivers are off the shelf and which ones are proprietary so we don't have to guess. It's not going to happen but I can dream can't I?

Matt

... and the one for half the price is the same quality, and made by the same manufacture ... It just has a slight different specification.

I have the same issue with NEXO ... I can buy the whole compression driver for less than they want for a diaphragm!

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 08:31:04 AM »

You needed RCF ND1711 diaphragms. The 1710 has mylar suspension. The diaphragm you need has titanium suspension ... less distortion but at the expense of VHF efficiency.

This seems counter-intuitive. Mylar-suspended diaphragms have traditionally exhibited lower distortion, at the expense of manufacturing efficiency and VHF extension (that extension tends to have higher distortion, but looks better on paper).

I do wish EAW would weigh in on why the diaphragm option was made.

Peter Morris

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 09:47:42 AM »

This seems counter-intuitive. Mylar-suspended diaphragms have traditionally exhibited lower distortion, at the expense of manufacturing efficiency and VHF extension (that extension tends to have higher distortion, but looks better on paper).

I do wish EAW would weigh in on why the diaphragm option was made.

I have actually spoken to Jeff Rocha about this particular diver … EAW selected because it was the best and offered the lowest distortion. (part of the reason why focused 730's sound so good).

In simple and very general terms - plastic diaphragms / suspension offer the most VHF efficiency worst distortion. Titanium diaphragms/ plastic suspension have less VHF efficiency and less distortion. Titanium diaphragms and suspension have the least VHF efficiency and best distortion.

Then there are aluminium and beryllium diaphragms …. Anyway have a look at these 1” and 1.4” drivers. I think they have the same magnet structures, but use different diaphragms.

http://www.bcspeakers.com/products/hf-driver/1-4/de820tn
http://www.bcspeakers.com/products/hf-driver/1-4/de800
http://www.bcspeakers.com/products/hf-driver/1-0/de250
http://www.bcspeakers.com/products/hf-driver/1-0/de250tn
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 11:53:48 AM by Peter Morris »

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 10:44:10 AM »

If I am reading this correctly:

EAW spec'd the titanium suspension and diaphragm because it offered higher sensitivity and extension within its chosen operational passband, and (perhaps only) when coupled with Gunness Focusing (an product-specific algorithm-based dynamically corrective narrowband EQ), the results for that application were preferred.

Now it makes sense. Sort of.

A cash-fat unique replacement SKU never factored into any meeting, ever.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 11:57:21 AM by Jim McKeveny »

Peter Morris

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 11:52:12 AM »

If I am reading this correctly:

EAW spec'd the titanium suspension and diaphragm because it offered higher sensitivity and extension within its chosen operational passband, and (perhaps only) when coupled with Gunness Focusing (an product-specific algorithm-based dynamically corrective narrowband EQ), the results for that application were preferred.

Now it makes sense. Sort of.

not quite ... it had the lowest distortion but less VHF efficiency than a plastic suspension driver. The mid band efficiency is about the same.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 11:56:37 AM by Peter Morris »

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 12:01:33 PM »

not quite ... it had the lowest distortion but less VHF efficiency than a plastic suspension driver. The mid band efficiency is about the same.

Hard to believe that a metallic suspension would have lower distortion vs. Mylar and other MFRs experiences, but if Jeff Rocha said so...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 12:01:33 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.