ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: last question, which Fulcrum tops: FA12ac or FA22ac?  (Read 5064 times)

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
last question, which Fulcrum tops: FA12ac or FA22ac?
« on: May 05, 2014, 02:10:07 PM »

I was pretty much set on buying the Fulcrum FA22ac until I heard the FA12ac outside at a good size community event.  I’m asking for help on making the final decision.  The Fulcrums are replacing the SRX722/IT4000 set-up and it’s going to be a good improvement over the existing rig either way.

I have test driven the FA22ac in a large than normal room (80’ wide and 225’ deep) that we perform and I didn’t have any issues, in fact they outran the 4x SRX718s/IT8000.  I do wish I had time to hook up Armonia to see what the speaker where actually doing. 

I have heard the FA12ac in a couple situations; normal size ballroom with a similar band and it was good and clear for the 200 people and then this weekend outside in a town square with 500+ people and it covered the area perfectly fine, but couldn’t overly push them because of the 85db limit at 100’ back.

So after hearing the FA12ac outside, it has me rethinking my intended purchase decision.   
The FA12ac are $900 less than the FA22ac
The 80Hz HPF Max SPL on the FA12ac is rated at 123db and the FA22ac is rated at 127db. There is only a 13.5 pound difference between the speakers.

As for my jobs; I’m pretty done working with the loud Bar-Rock bands and focusing on the corporate parties and weddings.  The average crowd size is 200-400 people, with the speakers focused on the dance floor. I really don’t need to worry about any crowd over 600, as the Client is going to hire in Production (mainly racks & stack) for the event.  If I have to bring in a larger sound rig the Agency/Band gives me a larger budget to work with on these shows so that I can rent gear as needed.

As for the rooms, we are typically in Hotel Ballrooms with a decent size space with 3500-7500 Sq Ft, with the rooms ranging from the 65’x40’ up to 110’x60’.  The band is a 6 to 10 pieces playing everything from Jazz to Current Top 40.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
Re: last question, which Fulcrum tops: FA12ac or FA22ac?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 10:51:17 PM »

I don't have experience with either box but I was interested in your final decision as I'm in a rather similar situation and was weighing FA22ac vs a Danley set up but in general I'd rather have the horsepower and not need it than the other way around. Given that the FA12 is only slightly smaller, lighter and cheaper I'd go for the bigger size. I'll be interested to hear what Silas thinks and what you finally decide.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 09:14:55 AM »

I have 2 FA22AC and 4 FA12.  I've only done 3 shows with the FA22AC but feel like the added headroom, pattern control, and low end response are worth the higher price.

The first show I did with them was Robin and Linda Williams.  They are an acoustic act but have a bass player.  I didn't use subs and didn't feel like I missed not having them.  With FA12AC I would have wanted subs.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 09:14:55 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.