ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bass bleeding into kick drum mic  (Read 6253 times)

Joe Jordan

Bass bleeding into kick drum mic
« on: April 19, 2014, 06:20:24 PM »

I'm having issues with bass guitar bleeding into the kick drum mic, so much that the bass takes over the mix long before there is enough kick.

The bass player is a bit lout but not stupid loud, the kick mic is a PG52. Last night I swapped it out for a sm58 and that cleaned things up but at the expense of taking too much bottom out of the kick.

I'm thinking this issue has multiple causes, the mic, the volume of the bass and the tuning of the drum. the drum is tuned a bit high for my taste and does not have anything inside it.

The bass player is not very cooperative and the drummer is not open to re
-tuning the kick. That leaves me with trying a different mic.

After reading the kick mic thread (yes all 15 pages) I'm thinking D6 or D112. Does anyone have experience with either of these mic in a similar situation?

Or any other suggestions?

Thanks Joe Jordan

David Parker

Re: Bass bleeding into kick drum mic
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 06:36:58 PM »

I'm having issues with bass guitar bleeding into the kick drum mic, so much that the bass takes over the mix long before there is enough kick.

The bass player is a bit lout but not stupid loud, the kick mic is a PG52. Last night I swapped it out for a sm58 and that cleaned things up but at the expense of taking too much bottom out of the kick.

I'm thinking this issue has multiple causes, the mic, the volume of the bass and the tuning of the drum. the drum is tuned a bit high for my taste and does not have anything inside it.

The bass player is not very cooperative and the drummer is not open to re
-tuning the kick. That leaves me with trying a different mic.

After reading the kick mic thread (yes all 15 pages) I'm thinking D6 or D112. Does anyone have experience with either of these mic in a similar situation?

Or any other suggestions?

Thanks Joe Jordan
changing the mic wont fix it. I've had the same problem using D6. The kick is probably a lot fatter than you think. Taking some of the lows off the kick mic fixed the problem when I had it. Gave the kick more snap which made it cut through better. It's common for people to turn up the bass eq on the kick mic to get more thump when what they really need to do is just turn the volume up on it.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 06:44:52 PM »

Do you have a stage plot on how this band sets up.  Is the bass bin open back?  Is the bass bin behind the drummer?

As many say the loudest sound at the mic wins.   Is the mic in a hole in the head our outside the drum?

Is there overheads and other mics on the other drums?   What mixer are you using and do you have any gates to work with? 

Joe Jordan

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 07:39:12 PM »

changing the mic wont fix it. I've had the same problem using D6. The kick is probably a lot fatter than you think. Taking some of the lows off the kick mic fixed the problem when I had it. Gave the kick more snap which made it cut through better. It's common for people to turn up the bass eq on the kick mic to get more thump when what they really need to do is just turn the volume up on it.

Maybe I'm adding top end for snap when I should be rolling off bottom, hmmm thanks for the response.

Joe Jordan

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 07:44:06 PM »

Do you have a stage plot on how this band sets up.  Is the bass bin open back?  Is the bass bin behind the drummer?

As many say the loudest sound at the mic wins.   Is the mic in a hole in the head our outside the drum?

Is there overheads and other mics on the other drums?   What mixer are you using and do you have any gates to work with?

The screen portion of the mic in inside a hole in the front head.

Bass rig is a closed back SVT 8 10 cab, back of cab even with back of drum riser.

The board is a mix wiz I have half of a DBX 266xl inserted in the kick channel, not really using the compression, lightly gated.

No overheads & no issue with bleed thru on any of the other mics. (toms & snare also gated)

Thanks,
 Joe
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 07:49:31 PM by Joe Jordan »

Joe Jordan

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 07:45:49 PM »

« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 07:47:52 PM by Joe Jordan »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 08:01:32 PM »

The screen portion of the mic in inside a hole in the front head.

Bass rig is a closed back SVT 8 10 cab, back of cab even with back of drum riser.

The board is a mix wiz I have half of a DBX 266xl inserted in the kick channel, not really using the compression, lightly gated.

No overheads & no issue with bleed thru on any of the other mics. (toms & snare also gated)

Thanks,
 Joe

Gate the mic.  Move it closer to the beater.  I like the kick mic about 3-4" from the beater and a tad off to one side.  With a good gate set properly and the mic close enough to require less input gain you'll be fine.

BT... I use an EV 868.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 12:51:00 AM »

Gate the mic.  Move it closer to the beater.  I like the kick mic about 3-4" from the beater and a tad off to one side.  With a good gate set properly and the mic close enough to require less input gain you'll be fine.

BT... I use an EV 868.

SVT cabs are somewhat directional too. Point it away from the kick. Get the mic as far inside the drum as possible.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 04:21:34 AM »

Is the drummer open to putting some laundry in the bass drum?  That should tame the overtones and mostly solve the issue without him having to tune the drum differently.  Plus, it'll help the kick sit better in the mix.  So the bass player isn't concerned about the band having a good mix?  That's a shame.

Dave Bednarski

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 07:44:03 AM »

A/B a 52 and a 91, if you can?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 07:44:03 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.