ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: buying cat 5/6 cable.  (Read 4714 times)

Ted Christensen

buying cat 5/6 cable.
« on: April 18, 2014, 10:19:58 AM »

So a quick search with "Ethernet" didnt turn up much im sure its been discussed though

Whats stopping everyone from buying 150' lengths of cat6 UTP from a cheaper place than horizon or whirlwind?  I mean $50 vs $250? Whats the big difference besides a fancy jacket for the cable? They are both waterproof so what gives?

I want to make one mega cable made up of 3 types of cable.. dmx / ac / power and it would save lots of money.

Any input? Thanks.
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

jasonfinnigan

Re: buying cat 5/6 cable.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 11:04:47 AM »

So a quick search with "Ethernet" didnt turn up much im sure its been discussed though

Whats stopping everyone from buying 150' lengths of cat6 UTP from a cheaper place than horizon or whirlwind?  I mean $50 vs $250? Whats the big difference besides a fancy jacket for the cable? They are both waterproof so what gives?

I want to make one mega cable made up of 3 types of cable.. dmx / ac / power and it would save lots of money.

Any input? Thanks.

Some links or model numbers might help.

Anyway the cheapest I've seen is Elite Core Cat5e, I think Pro Co has some cheap as well but I have not tried it. I have one of the Elite Cores (other I made) and it has been driven over by a loaded 15' box truck and worked fine during it and is still working with no signs of damage.

The difference in costs tends to be:
 how heavy the jacket is
type rating CMX/CMR etc
UTP vs STP
Brand name (both end brand and if they are using Bleden Cable or not)
Solid vs Stranded Cat5e

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 11:07:21 AM »

You really want to keep them separate especially the power. That's asking for interference.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 01:28:03 PM »

Without having particular model numbers to compare, there are four components to any sort of cabling which affect the quality:
  • Connectors - fit; finish; durability
  • Conductors - number of strands; gauge
  • Insulation - durability; flexibility; suitability
  • Shielding - durability; flexibility; isolation - (shielding is not present on all cables)

So the difference may be that the more expensive is using connectors with better fit, finish, and durability; the conductors have more, finer strands for better flexibility; and the insulation is thicker for greater durability. Perhaps one cable is shielded and the other is not, or the shield is constructed differently. The presence/absence or construction of the shield can represent a HUGE difference in cost.

By the way, don't just go down to Big Box Depot and buy a spool of CATx. The stuff they sell there is made for permanent installs and will not withstand the rigors of daily use.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 02:47:54 PM »

You really want to keep them separate especially the power. That's asking for interference.

That's actually not true. The CAT stuff is all balanced twisted pairs, DMX is also twisted pairs, don't know about balancing, and AC cable that is not separate runs is also twisted pairs.

An old wives tale that may have had elements of truth in the unbalanced audio days, but not so much anymore.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 04:46:33 PM »

As a general statement, yes.  As a matter of audio gig specifics, not so much.

We have CAT5e UTP bundled with our FOH run, comprised of the UTP, 8/5 30 amp 120/208v electrical service and a 12 pair analog drive snake.  Oh, that run typically lays directly on top of the 200 amp audio feeder run and the 400 amp lighting feeder run, at least 50' or so of them.

Never a problem.  YMMV, etc, but I see CAT5 bundled with AC every day either from our shop or running snakes for Bands You've Heard Of while working as a stage hand.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 08:28:44 AM »

For my S3L I bought some Cat5e cables from Redco at $.25/ft, and while they work, they weren't very flexible.  I only bought some short interconnects, so it isn't a problem, but at 150' it would be a PITA to coil.

For my 150' and 300' runs I used Link Cat6 STP.  It is heavy duty, flexible, and closer to $150 for 150', not $250.

The S3L requires shielded cat5e or better 350 Mhz rated cable, so there weren't that many options when I was buying 6 months ago.  There may be more options for your console that are even less expensive.

I suggest finding a Link USA dealer near you and getting a quote.  You can also probably do better than online prices from a Gepco dealer for their product.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 12:48:04 PM »

For my S3L I bought some Cat5e cables from Redco at $.25/ft, and while they work, they weren't very flexible.  I only bought some short interconnects, so it isn't a problem, but at 150' it would be a PITA to coil.

For my 150' and 300' runs I used Link Cat6 STP.  It is heavy duty, flexible, and closer to $150 for 150', not $250.

The S3L requires shielded cat5e or better 350 Mhz rated cable, so there weren't that many options when I was buying 6 months ago.  There may be more options for your console that are even less expensive.

I suggest finding a Link USA dealer near you and getting a quote.  You can also probably do better than online prices from a Gepco dealer for their product.

Hi Jason,

I search for "Link Cat6 STP" and "Gepco Link Cat6 STP" and get nothing that sounds like what you describe. Can you provide a link?

Thanks,
Dan

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 03:53:12 PM »

Hi Jason,

I search for "Link Cat6 STP" and "Gepco Link Cat6 STP" and get nothing that sounds like what you describe. Can you provide a link?

Thanks,
Dan

LinkUSA Eurocable CAT6e, UTP or STP, or STPx6.  On PDF page 29 of their catalog here:  http://linkusa-inc.com/DesktopModules/Bring2mind/DMX/Download.aspx?TabId=96&Command=Core_Download&EntryId=68&language=en-US&PortalId=0

Catalog entry specifically mentions flexibility and handling...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 03:53:12 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 24 queries.