ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Alto TS112a vs EV ZLX12p?  (Read 18415 times)

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band
Re: Alto TS112a vs EV ZLX12p?
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 05:48:25 PM »

Some say Alto is a step up from Behringer. Alto is owned by parent company InMusic who also owns Numark, Akai, Alesis, etc.

I haven't heard either of the speakers in the op, but I have Peavey PR12's in my DJ rig.  I bought them strictly based on price (local shop gives great deals) and weight (bad back).  I was pleasantly surprise at how good they sound.  In very small venues or quiet gigs I used them alone.  In larger gigs, over single 15" Audiopile JBL clones in homebuilt boxes.  For what they are, weigh, and cost, I like them a lot.  The powered version is the PR12D.
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

Richard Penrose

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 03:00:24 AM »

Thanks for the replies so far. From my past experience of Behringer speakers I would definitely say the Alto's are a step up. They are actually surprisingly good sounding speakers. However, the EV's only cost £50 more.

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 09:52:18 AM »

Hi,

Has anyone had a chance to compare both of these speakers? What are your thoughts?

Yes I have. I have sold both and used both. They both do what they were designed to do. Produce sound.

The OP did not mention his intended application. Here are my thoughts.

Many of the DJ's in my area are concerned about 1 thing...cost. You know who wins that.

Each speaker standing on it's own sounds OK at moderate spls. Cranking them outdoors I find the Alto becomes mushy (tech term) before it starts farting (another tech term). The EV seems to stay clean until farting is reached...

Now in a real world DJ application you'll never get either of these boxes to that level unless you are trying to do a large techno or hip hop show. And these are not designed for that.

For a small sound gig or a small wedding either one will work just fine.

As far as longevity??? EV has been around longer that the Alto nameplate.

Find a good dealer in your area and listen to them for yourself. Buy which one sounds the best to you.

With todays technology anyone can make a decent speaker. Will they be around in a few years to service it when/if it craps out???

You know the saying...Buy once, cry once.

Bob Cap

Richard Penrose

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 12:25:51 PM »

I am looking to use the speaker for a range of applications. I would like to use the speaker as a small FOH pa for small acoustic gigs, a wedge monitor when I'm using my main pa and as a keyboard amp on occasions. My main pa is a pair of Yamaha DXR15's over a pair of EV ELX118p subs.
I already own the Alto TS112a and have found it to be surprisingly good. What I'm wondering is whether the EV ZLX 12P would be a step up? Originally the ZLX 12P cost around £399 when it first came out and the Alto TS112a then cost £209. Now the ZLX 12P costs £299 and the Alto TS112a costs £249. At the time I couldn't justify the £190 price difference but now that the difference is £50 I am curious to know how the EV sounds!
Unfortunately I live no where near a store that stocks either of these so can't hear these for myself at the moment. Also, I'm not in a position to buy a ZLX 12P to hear myself so am hoping to hear of various user experiences.

What I'm looking for is something that is clearer in the vocal range, a fraction louder and with greater bass extension. I'm wondering how the EV's would fare regarding this?

Michael A. Yates

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 12:28:57 PM »

Each speaker standing on it's own sounds OK at moderate spls. Cranking them outdoors I find the Alto becomes mushy (tech term) before it starts farting (another tech term). The EV seems to stay clean until farting is reached...
Didn't know speakers farted...

Wish you would state your intended purpose for the speakers. The EVs are pretty good and will hold up good. It comes down to personal preference really. My preference would be the EVs but that's just me. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Sabine

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 12:58:35 PM »

I used to be an Alto Dealer but dropped them because of lack of replacement parts and service. After Alto was taken from Yorkville and sold to InMusic they went from having factory techs to using service centers and it was downhill from there. When I started having problems getting units fixed for customers I dropped them and haven't looked back.

Didn't know speakers farted...

Wish you would state your intended purpose for the speakers. The EVs are pretty good and will hold up good. It comes down to personal preference really. My preference would be the EVs but that's just me. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I think it needs more barn"

Richard Penrose

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 01:16:08 PM »

I would like to use the speaker as a small FOH pa for small acoustic gigs, a wedge monitor when I'm using my main pa and as a keyboard amp on occasions.

I will also add this to my original post!

James A. Griffin

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2014, 07:27:03 PM »

I am looking to use the speaker for a range of applications. I would like to use the speaker as a small FOH pa for small acoustic gigs, a wedge monitor when I'm using my main pa and as a keyboard amp on occasions.

I've found the EV's to be quite nice for acoustic gigs in a small space, both as mains and monitors.   When used with a full band, they don't quite keep up, IMHO.

I have found them to be great with spoken-word only gigs.    I had a church service outdoors in a small (40x20)  tent.   First week using PRX512 as mains.   The pastor wanted to walk around a lot, sometimes in front of the cabinets.   I had to tweak quite a bit during sound check to keep the ringing down.   Next week went to the ZLX 12p, everything else identical.  I used the "SPEECH" setting on the processor and there was no ringing at all..     They've been my go-to box ever since for talking heads only gigs with crowds up to 300.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Leo Martin

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2014, 10:15:07 PM »

Hi,

Has anyone had a chance to compare both of these speakers? What are your thoughts?

I would like to use the speaker as a small FOH pa for small acoustic gigs, a wedge monitor when I'm using my main pa and as a keyboard amp on occasions.
I have heard both, I own alto's and love them. They don't get crazy loud but they will do for budget speakers. The EVs seem more harsh in the highs, but they might have a little more bass response than the altos.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 02:55:58 PM »

I have managed to pick up a secondhand Alto TS112a in practically new condition for £100 so I'm now sorted :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 02:55:58 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.