ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Brand name cost me gigs  (Read 63851 times)

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
Re: Branded
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2014, 07:46:39 PM »

Older Peavey 15" bass amps seem to be a favorite of steel guitar players.  I never would have guessed until I learned this tidbit from a very accomplished steel/fiddle player.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Brand name cost me gigs
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2014, 08:11:15 PM »

I will address the second part of your question.

A single sub per side (unless it is a "super sub") is not really very much-even for a small room.

While it may be enough for "smaller bands", the "better bands" often require more output capability.

Of course by using a "real amp" the performance of the sub would increase.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2014, 09:59:35 PM »

I just lost a deal with a local "supergroup" (band made up of various members of very well established local heavy hitters) because I use Behringer power amps.

I'm personally very happy with the amps, other than the fact they're a little noisy in an empty room, but the income they cost me would have more than made up for the price difference to buy a more acceptable brand name. Ouch.  Really makes me rethink me equipment list. I know my rig sounds great, but if potential clients are discounting me based on their opinions of the equipment I own I have to wonder how many phones calls I never got because the equip list on my website isn't "good" enough.

Yeah, they said as long as I was using those amps they could not use me. At least they were honest about it. They also said I needed to have (4) LS808s instead of the 2 I currently use. That one puzzled me a bit as there are no rooms(they'd be only playing bars and clubs) in my area that would require 4 of those cabs for live music.

There is an important lesson to be learned here. Previous posts have already spelled out what that is.

There is also an opportunity staring you in the face.

So many people in the business buy gear hoping they can find the business to pay for it. You have found business, all you need is the correct gear to get it. The decision you need to make is if the work available justifies the expense, and figuring that out should be easy math.

Better gigs lead to better gigs.

Good luck to you!

Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

David Parker

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2014, 11:00:19 PM »

I did sound for a concert several years back, backline rider stated "NO PEAVEY". So a nice bass amp was provided, can't remember the brand, but upper end gear. Sound check started and the bass amp was toast. Somebody drug an old peavey bass amp out of a closet, fired it up, worked great and the bassist never said a word about it!

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2014, 11:03:55 PM »

I did sound for a concert several years back, backline rider stated "NO PEAVEY". So a nice bass amp was provided, can't remember the brand, but upper end gear. Sound check started and the bass amp was toast. Somebody drug an old peavey bass amp out of a closet, fired it up, worked great and the bassist never said a word about it!

NO Peavey is not one I've seen yet. We use peavey monitors from time to time for light duty stuff. They aren't the Best sounding out there but they work well and never fail. I don't think peavy ever claims to be the best sounding though.

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2014, 11:08:47 PM »

There is an important lesson to be learned here. Previous posts have already spelled out what that is.

There is also an opportunity staring you in the face.

So many people in the business buy gear hoping they can find the business to pay for it. You have found business, all you need is the correct gear to get it. The decision you need to make is if the work available justifies the expense, and figuring that out should be easy math.

Better gigs lead to better gigs.

Good luck to you!

Exactly, You are getting paid to buy more/better gear which in turn will help you generate more revenue. not to mention brand names speak volumes (even when it shouldn't but many times it's rightfully so). In the end you have to decided if it's a good business decision but keep in mind even if you just break even would having the better name gear that get you better paying gigs a good move?

David Parker

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2014, 11:14:47 PM »

NO Peavey is not one I've seen yet. We use peavey monitors from time to time for light duty stuff. They aren't the Best sounding out there but they work well and never fail. I don't think peavy ever claims to be the best sounding though.
20 years ago Peavey was a bad word on tech riders like behringer is now, even though peavey gear has always been reliable

Thomas Le

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2014, 12:56:47 AM »

At least Peavey lets you take out the logo because it's screwed on, with others you have to gaff it. To be honest, I consider Peavey a step up from Behringer.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2014, 03:41:05 AM »

Peavey's only sin was promoting themselves as a working mans product. By that I mean upper end MI quality available to the masses that may not be the prettiest looking, but rock solid from the day you bought it. That and a goofy looking logo. Peavey gear has always been rock solid, well designed, functional and nothing to be ashamed of. Additionally 95% of the hardware is designed and manufactured in the good ol' USA. (Mostly by rednecks, but I let that pass.) ;D And the brand is 100 steps up from Behringer.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2014, 05:33:00 AM »

Anyone can say any brand as a lower failure rate.. It also could be because the gear is not as widely in use, or it's used less often IE not touring than other brands. There's a lot of factors in that.

That's what I said.  Out once a month around town isn't a hard life.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2014, 05:33:00 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.