ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Brand name cost me gigs  (Read 63978 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Brand name cost me gigs
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2014, 03:05:54 PM »

I think so.  I repaired a Peavey XR1212 powered mixer for a friend as was very surprised at how little space the two class D amplifiers took up.

Steve.

For probably TMI when I was over in HK many years ago, I had discussions with a large Chinese OEM about making an universal power module that contained a couple channels of decent sized class D power amp modules, a universal switching mains power supply, with perhaps a few other commonly used features (like +/-15V DC power out, etc).. This would become a standard building block to use inside powered mixers, powered speakers, etc...

Just another one of my futuristic ideas that didn't reach fruition.   8)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2014, 03:09:19 PM »

Yes, I think it was.  Together with the PCS processor which had sense inputs connected via TRS jacks to the amplifier outputs.  The monitors were processed too and sounded great compared with what we usually used.

We borrowed the system to use in a yacht marina as part of the Cowes Week* yachting regatta entertainment. (* possibly the world's oldest yachting regatta).

Steve.

Yes, that would be the system. It used the HDH Processor (HDH PCS)

You had the main full range cabinet, pictured above: HDH 1
You had a full range fill loudspeaker: HDH 2, HDH 2T, and finally the HDH 244T (which was (I think) the first Peavey loudspeaker to use the bigger 44T compression driver)
Then you had the dual 18" subwoofer: HDH 3
...and finally there was just the HF part of the main cabinet: HDH 4
Of course, as you mentioned, the floor monitor: HDH M

This system was designed to use the HDH PCS to provide a processed and monitored system. I believe it was available in at least 1988, according to the copyright on the HDH 1 Spec Sheet.

So, think for a minute about what other systems were available in 1988 and consider for a moment what this system was capable of...

I think we are more than a little beyond lowest cost products here.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 03:39:53 PM by Josh Millward »
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
Branded
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2014, 03:29:24 PM »

...think for a minute about what other systems were available in 1988 and consider for a moment what this system was capable of...

That should be an eye-opener for those who erroneously think Peavey never made anything serious before the Versarray.
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
Re: Branded
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2014, 03:37:42 PM »

That should be an eye-opener for those who erroneously think Peavey never made anything serious before the Versarray.
Exact-a-mundo.
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2014, 03:45:16 PM »

So, think for a minute about what other systems were available in 1988 and consider for a moment what this system was capable of...

It was certainly ahead of anything I had seen or even knew about at the time. There was a rumour (not sure where from) that the Peavey system was based on something similar by Meyer.

I don't know if there was any truth in the rumour -  perhaps you or John can enlighten us (me) on this.

We seem to have gone off on a tangent and I can't help but feel partially responsible!  Sorry to the OP.

Steve.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2014, 04:02:49 PM »

It was certainly ahead of anything I had seen or even knew about at the time. There was a rumour )not sure where from) that the Peavey system was based on something similar by Meyer.

I don't know if there was any truth in the rumour = perhaps John can enlighten us (me) on this.

We seem to have gone off on a tangent and I can't help but feel partially responsible!  Sorry to the OP.

Steve.

A little inside baseball there. I was not involved in the processed stuff but I suspect it was inspired by the big dog systems of the time. IIRC it was done completely inside the transducer group and they were more speaker engineers than circuit designers so you figure it out.

This gets back to some of my general branding discussions. (also almost on topic). Volkswagen engineers could design a ferrari a lot easier than the volkswagen dealers could ever sell them.

One lesson I learned from 15 years at Peavey was to stick to my knitting and try to always remember the customers and distribution that had to use and sell my creations. OK to add a hip feature (like FLS) as long as it was also really cheap and easy to use. Not much love for products that required reading an owners manual to figure out.

There is a pretty long list of products that Peavey made that were ahead of their time and/or too hip for the distribution.

I recall going in circles one time trying to explain to a big Peavey dealer why the more professional big dog speakers had to use matched drivers (so they would array properly, etc). He was not convinced of the value in that and sure they were just overpriced for no good reason. Since he was a typical Peavey dealer, easy to see why they didn't get supported across that distribution.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

David Parker

« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2014, 04:08:50 PM »

Doug,
I really don't get the bashing the Eon takes. They certainly make money, and the newer version of the box sounds great if used properly in the way they were intended to be used. I'm having another WTF moment about that, and actually wish that instead of LAB and Jr. LAB the site was broken down by major manufacturer and all else.
Bashing the Eon or any other product is no sweat off of my ass, but if someone needs to bash at least compare the product to a similar product. People need to stop jumping on a band wagon simply because it appears like the popular thing to do.
I've got a pair of Gemeni plastic box powered speakers, although they aren't the typical gemini with piezo tweeters. They are biamped and cost me less that $200 apiece. When I play and sing in nursing homes they are perfect. I'd love to MOVE UP to 10" eons because the Eons are lighter. It's all about application. I'd never use such in any club gig, unless it was an acoustic duo.

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2014, 04:15:20 PM »

There is a pretty long list of products that Peavey made that were ahead of their time and/or too hip for the distribution.
Yes indeed! It always amazes me how often Peavey was just a little bit too far ahead of the curve... or maybe they were making the curve? I'm not sure.

I'm just glad this MediaMatrix stuff caught on and created this entirely new DSP market in the audio workspace.
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

David Parker

« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2014, 04:22:02 PM »

Yes, that would be the system. It used the HDH Processor (HDH PCS)

You had the main full range cabinet, pictured above: HDH 1
You had a full range fill loudspeaker: HDH 2, HDH 2T, and finally the HDH 244T (which was (I think) the first Peavey loudspeaker to use the bigger 44T compression driver)
Then you had the dual 18" subwoofer: HDH 3
...and finally there was just the HF part of the main cabinet: HDH 4
Of course, as you mentioned, the floor monitor: HDH M

This system was designed to use the HDH PCS to provide a processed and monitored system. I believe it was available in at least 1988, according to the copyright on the HDH 1 Spec Sheet.

A christian artist, Milam LeFevre, was endorsed by Peavey back in the day of the HDH. I saw him in Houston in the  old Sam Houston Coloseum and was impressed with the sound of the system. I vividly remember the racks of CS1200 amps. Another Christian artist in that era using HDH was Ray Boltz. Saw him at Lakewood Church in Houston, 7000 seat venue. It had a lot of bass.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2014, 04:41:15 PM »

Yes indeed! It always amazes me how often Peavey was just a little bit too far ahead of the curve... or maybe they were making the curve? I'm not sure.

I think the term is "bleeding edge"... The curve is somewhere back there.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2014, 04:41:15 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.