ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on PA Set up  (Read 10404 times)

John Cardo

Question on PA Set up
« on: April 16, 2014, 08:42:44 PM »

Hello Everyone i've been tasked with spec'ing a PA system for one of those "rave" parties. the venue is 9,000 square feet and has a capacity of 1,700 Persons. i was thinking something like

x8  D&B audiotechnik J-12's (ground stacked)
x4  D&B Audiotechnik B2 subwoofers

with the D12 Amplifiers driving everything. My question is does that PA look like it'll be Loud enough. im not expecting it to be 115db at Foh but 100db continuous is fine

Thanks for your help everyone
John
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 09:44:42 PM by John Cardo »

jasonfinnigan

Re: Question on PA Set up
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 10:44:45 PM »

Hello Everyone i've been tasked with spec'ing a PA system for one of those "rave" parties.

What Kind of Music? first thing that hits me when you say "Rave" is you are going to need a lot of subs like a EDM would.

the venue is 9,000 square feet and has a capacity of 1,700 Persons. i was thinking something like

x8  D&B audiotechnik J-12's (ground stacked)
x4  D&B Audiotechnik B2 subwoofers

with the D12 Amplifiers driving everything. My question is does that PA look like it'll be Loud enough. im not expecting it to be 115db at Foh but 100db continuous is fine

Thanks for your help everyone
John

How far back are you wanting that 100db? 100 foot from mains? 300ft?

You've got way more Mid-High Power here than Lows, You usually need more low end power than highs to actually get it going. It will easily get absorbed by the people in front.

John Cardo

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 10:58:21 PM »

What Kind of Music? first thing that hits me when you say "Rave" is you are going to need a lot of subs like a EDM would.

How far back are you wanting that 100db? 100 foot from mains? 300ft?

You've got way more Mid-High Power here than Lows, You usually need more low end power than highs to actually get it going. It will easily get absorbed by the people in front.

i'd say around 100db at 150ft is fine with me the venue doesn't normally do this kind of event and im sure they dont want it too loud. as far as the low end i was worried that might be an issue would 8 sub woofers and 8 tops work?

and im told the music is called Trance from what i've heard its pretty focused on the kick
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 11:04:06 PM by John Cardo »

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 11:59:48 PM »

i'd say around 100db at 150ft is fine with me the venue doesn't normally do this kind of event and im sure they dont want it too loud. as far as the low end i was worried that might be an issue would 8 sub woofers and 8 tops work?

and im told the music is called Trance from what i've heard its pretty focused on the kick
Double your subs and you should be fine.

Seriously, for EDM work, you need a bunch of low end. The guests won't be happy if that is lacking...

The venue might not want it loud-- but what about the client? Surely the venue wants the client to come back in the future?

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

John Cardo

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 01:15:12 AM »

Double your subs and you should be fine.

Seriously, for EDM work, you need a bunch of low end. The guests won't be happy if that is lacking...

The venue might not want it loud-- but what about the client? Surely the venue wants the client to come back in the future?

-Ray

Sounds good then i'll use 8 subs then. Also about it not being too loud i forgot to mention that the entire stage left side of the venue is glass so i can imagine that's going to be a nightmare to work with

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 01:09:18 PM »

Sounds good then i'll use 8 subs then. Also about it not being too loud i forgot to mention that the entire stage left side of the venue is glass so i can imagine that's going to be a nightmare to work with

I think with even 8 B2s you will find it wanting.  If you could add 4x J Infra to that mix you should be fine.  B2 is a fine sub for many things but needs some help for EDM. That said, if it really is trance, it won't require much 30 Hz support.  However, using the Infras relieves a great deal of strain on the B2s. 

What's your plan for the DJ monitor setup?
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

John Cardo

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 01:58:08 PM »

I think with even 8 B2s you will find it wanting.  If you could add 4x J Infra to that mix you should be fine.  B2 is a fine sub for many things but needs some help for EDM. That said, if it really is trance, it won't require much 30 Hz support.  However, using the Infras relieves a great deal of strain on the B2s. 

What's your plan for the DJ monitor setup?

The Rental house im working with only has the B2s and im worried that if i had too many subs the windows will start rattling loudly and im sure the venue wont be happy about that not to mention the client wanting to know why they can almost hear the windows over the PA. as for monitors i was thinking 2 QSC Kw122's and perhaps 2 Kw181's 

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 04:30:08 PM »

The Rental house im working with only has the B2s and im worried that if i had too many subs the windows will start rattling loudly and im sure the venue wont be happy about that not to mention the client wanting to know why they can almost hear the windows over the PA. as for monitors i was thinking 2 QSC Kw122's and perhaps 2 Kw181's

The nice thing about having too many subs is that you can turn it down. If you don't have enough, you can't turn it up.
Brian Jojade

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 05:14:44 PM »

I used with _great_ success a Waves MAXXBASS to keep from destroying the Contemporary Art Museum here in STL during a set by Nelly.

I got the "sensation" of deep bass but in fact nothing vibrated.  It's probably the best use of this device, other than to compensate somehow for inferior subs. 

If you can find one, try it.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 12:58:41 PM »

John,

Although it is not uncommon at raves playing EDM including trance etc. to hit as high as 125 dB SPL in the sub bass range at 150 feet, looking at the B2 specs:

B2-SUB system data (standard/INFRA)
Frequency response (–5 dB) D12...37 Hz - 90 Hz / 32 Hz - 68 Hz
Frequency response (–5 dB) A1.......37 Hz - 125 Hz / 32 Hz - 68 Hz
Max. sound pressure (1 m, full space) D12 or A1.......139 dB / 136 dB

If we subtract 10dB (for marketing hype factor) then add back 6 dB (for ground stacking rather than full space) each cabinet can produce 135-132 dB, so a pair could do over 100 dB at 150 feet outdoors. Indoors, probably more.

8 should get you at least 112 dB at 150 feet.

Art

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 12:58:41 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.