ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: EV ETX 35p & 18SP  (Read 31610 times)

Aaron Talley

Re: EV ETX 35p & 18SP
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 11:28:25 PM »

The ETX boxes you are talking about sound REALLY good. I went to a demo the other day.
They won't do the large crowds though, but neither will anything else in that range.
The subs are far and away better than anything in that range of products on the market.

We will be moving our QSC boxes out to make room for the ETX

Maybe KF650z would be a better fit if you are doing the 600 to 1000 crowd more frequently than the 400 seat crowd. Depends on the room and other things. We had some of those and they are great. Don't skimp on the amps.
Some used ARCs would maybe work too.

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 07:24:39 PM »

Well any recommendations of any boxes? As I noted in my follow up post, something that only covers 300ish (maybe 500max) people outdoor open field and say 800 indoor in a setting like a high school auditorium that holds 700-800 people.

Requirements: Sub $2k per box. Powered or unpowered is okay, but powered would be great for weight/convince.  (can be new or used)
Weight: Needs to be sub 200 pounds per box, preferably at 100 or less per box.
Can be line array or cluster etc boxes.
Preferably can run amps or powered speakers on 1-2 20AMP Circuits (though not necessary but would be nice)

Also what would be your thoughts on starting out with two of the DB DVA T4 per side an growing to more if needed? (and buying subs of course too). I already know I like the DB DVA t8 but there a little more expensive than I'd like. the t4 are the prefect price if they'd give me the levels I need. for now we would rarely if ever be flying them. But that would be a possibility in very long term future.
http://www.dbtechnologies.com/EN/Products/dva/dva_t4_p712.aspx
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 08:44:15 PM by JasonFinnigan »

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 09:44:48 PM »

I think my final decision is going to be Db tech DVA T4s Starting with 3 per side. (and growing as we do).

We will likely rent subs for a while. But I plan on buying 2 DVA S20s per side at some point.

I'll probably hold off on purchases for a few months thought. I just rather think it through for a good while. but it seems like it will be the best route.

Thanks for all your input!

Brent_Handy

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 09:53:21 PM »

I think my final decision is going to be Db tech DVA T4s Starting with 3 per side. (and growing as we do).

We will likely rent subs for a while. But I plan on buying 2 DVA S20s per side at some point.

I'll probably hold off on purchases for a few months thought. I just rather think it through for a good while. but it seems like it will be the best route.

Thanks for all your input!

Just remember that it is not the number of people what the area dimensions that you have to consider.  Is it 100 people in a 25 x 45 room, or is it 100 people spread out over a 250' field?  You are on the right path in choosing something arrayable and scalable.

KenShaner

• Facebook
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 04:32:32 AM »

The EV ETX system is right on track with the requirements you are looking for. 300 people in most outdoor settings to 800 indoors - the ETX 18's with any of the tops in that line will handle this no problem. For larger events we use the EV Phoenix Boxes and for events the size you are describing we actually use the EV Tour X line of speakers. We are now about to begin phasing out our passive Tour X boxes and actually replacing them with these ETX active boxes. The ETX has very high end components and are actually made with the Phoenix Drivers which in my opinion are some of the best out there ( which is why i use them in our larger systems ). Nothing wrong with going with the DB T4's, i've used them and they are okay but the ETX will do everything you're asking for and i have a feeling you won't have a regret in the world. I obviously love EV in general but i would buy the ETX ( also flyable if needed ) before going to the DB array. Good luck with it!
Speakers : EV Phoenix, EV Tour X , EV ETX, EV ELX Consoles : Allen & Heath I-live T112  Amps :  Lab Gruppen PLM 20000Q , EV CP 4000's , EV CP 3000's , EV Q1212 , EV Q99

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 10:54:14 AM »

Just remember that it is not the number of people what but the area dimensions that you have to consider.  Is it 100 people in a 25 x 45 room, or is it 100 people spread out over a 250' field?  You are on the right path in choosing something arrayable and scalable.

This.

I keep trying to pound this into some of the "clients who should know better" (i.e. AV shops and other sound companies).  It's about covering the audience geometry (area & elevation), not the number of bodies in that area.  This applies to conventional (non-vertical) speaker systems, too, but for some reason when they get a small vertical array, they stop worrying about coverage area.

We sent out a T4 rig on demo with a firm that does small hotel AV and offers DJ services, too.  The owner said he was absolutely unimpressed when he brought it back.  I inspected the speakers and found that level controls and EQ presets appeared to be randomly adjusted.  With that, I have no confidence that the inter-element angles were calculated with software and suspect that even if wrong, neither side of the PA was the mirror image of the other.  YOU MUST USE THE MANUFACTURER'S PROVIDED OR RECOMMENDED SOFTWARE.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 11:18:49 AM »

Well any recommendations of any boxes? As I noted in my follow up post, something that only covers 300ish (maybe 500max) people outdoor open field and say 800 indoor in a setting like a high school auditorium that holds 700-800 people.

Requirements: Sub $2k per box. Powered or unpowered is okay, but powered would be great for weight/convince.  (can be new or used)
Weight: Needs to be sub 200 pounds per box, preferably at 100 or less per box.
Can be line array or cluster etc boxes.
Preferably can run amps or powered speakers on 1-2 20AMP Circuits (though not necessary but would be nice)

Also what would be your thoughts on starting out with two of the DB DVA T4 per side an growing to more if needed? (and buying subs of course too). I already know I like the DB DVA t8 but there a little more expensive than I'd like. the t4 are the prefect price if they'd give me the levels I need. for now we would rarely if ever be flying them. But that would be a possibility in very long term future.
http://www.dbtechnologies.com/EN/Products/dva/dva_t4_p712.aspx

We're T4 owners, users, and DB/RCF dealers.  We also have a large investment in JBL VerTec and 12 KF850e, so I can speak with some experience here.

Buying 3 each T4 will be disappointing, especially for the price (not that they're expensive, to the contrary).  You're putting up nearly $6000 per side.  For that money you'd get more sound, better controlled, with a trap box from JBLs Venue Precision line, or Vue A series, or Fulcrum Acoustic FA models... and have money left over.  Not a sexy vertical array, and not scalable or particularly expandable, but faster to set up, more goof-proof and far less dependent upon the skill of the system tech.

Frankly the T4 (or most any other compact line array) doesn't behave well or have sufficient low-mid/LF output until you get a line of 6' or more, and that's 8 boxes a side.  Then it rocks, with a surprising amount of LF for 8, 8" speakers... but that ain't gonna happen with 3 on a tree.

I also strongly caution against buying a vertical array on the "box a month club" plan.  SOMETHING always comes up that needs money and you'll never complete the arrays in a timely fashion (if at all).  Trust me, I've seen it far too many times.  If you don't have the money or time to do it right the first time, when will you ever find the money or time to do it over?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 11:26:29 AM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Robert Healey

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2014, 12:11:59 PM »

The ETX has very high end components and are actually made with the Phoenix Drivers which in my opinion are some of the best out there ( which is why i use them in our larger systems ).

The ETX subs have the Phoenix drivers, the tops don't. The ETX-12P has a DH3 HF driver (same as the Sx300 and many of EVs other mid grade speakers) and the woofers from the TourX line. I'm sure the built in DSP works some magic, but they're basically powered TourX boxes.

I'm holding out for a FIR drive powered QRX or Xi product line from EV...

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2014, 06:19:40 PM »

Hey Guys! Thanks for all the great responses. Sorry It has taken me so long to post back, just getting all of the online accounts sorted out (I think some people saw the mess over on soundforums but that's another story)

Anyway, I agree that's it's not just the amount of people you are covering but space. I would also argue that it's BOTH the amount of people and the venue (or outside space) area you are covering. People can absorb quite a bit of sound, which is a good thing for reverberant rooms indoors. I would also say that *normally* the size and amount of people should be related. unless you are working for one of those people that either pack people in like sardines or spreed them out on camp ground type festivals (let's not even get into the bands who rent huge venues and only have 2 people show up).

I do agree about the DVA T4's I have some worries about that route. We have rented them before and always use DB Techs prediction software just like I use EASE for other speakers. The lowest I've ever gone with the DB techs is 4 boxes a side. If it takes 6-8 boxes per side to do a good setup, will do it I don't want to skimp out. My major concern has to do with the speakers themselves about all I've mixed on the T4's is bluegrass and country. We also do a lot of heavy metal and rock, I'm not sure that the T4's could handle or are made to take that. They seem like they are meant for more "light weight" work than that but, I would be happy to be wrong. The other thing is we'd only ever lift them maybe 16-20' in the air I think a line array really starts to shine more around flown at 30' with a good amount of boxes to control the patterns more, this is why I'm leaning to point source.

The ETX series looks great in the weight category, the problem is I'm afraid they are still MI gear even though they claim it is the pro/touring (tourX) line. I'm also wondering about the db level they can hold up to. Also the other interesting thing is; for what I'd pay (actually less) than the 8x  ETX subs, I can get a used system with 4x EAW 850z's and 4x Grundorf GT3600 Subs along with the Amps/rack (all QSC) to drive them as a 4 way system. That would come in around $10,000. I guess I should also mention these aren't normal EAW speakers they are custom made ones by a local (but providing national service) production service company that make them, they are basically the same as the EAW 850z in design but slightly modified and beefed up by their engineers. I believe they said they weight about the same as the real thing. They are pretty well accepted cabinets as national acts have played through them multiple times. They are selling both the subs and the tops at $1,000 a box as they have upgraded to the Turbosound Aspect TA-880H speakers.

I do like the weight of the ETX series and would go that way if I know they can keep up. I've been total by some people that the EV ETX series can almost keep up with their 850z system. The ETX 35p does have a 60 degree coverage so they can be splayed as well. The ETX series is also the only one I haven't heard so I'd have to take a chance and order one of them online first without hearing it (not MI stores around here).

Power isn't really a concern too much anymore as we invested in a 100AMP distro.

The 850 System @ $10,000 is very tempting. I guess unless someone thinks we should give the ETX a try an see if it is really more than a MI box. I will just go with the 850 route. as we wouldn't even begin to start a line array setup with that nor do we need a line array quite yet.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 07:12:31 PM by JasonFinnigan »

Mario Pollio

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2014, 05:59:48 PM »

I auditioned the ETX speakers not too long ago. The subs, especially the ETX-18sp is EXTREMELY impressive. The tops are very VERY good, but don't seem to stand out above the other comparable tops in this range by other companies. They have a brighter sound then my PRX's.

Those of you saying they won't be able to handle larger crowds, I'm willing to bet they can. The ETX system is very scalable. I'm sure with 6 or 8 ETX-18sp's and 4 ETX-35p's and maybe ETX-12p's/ETX-15p's as side fills you'll be able to do 1,000 people. The built in DSP allows you to set delays and everything so it's a nice, very simple set up.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2014, 05:59:48 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.