ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: LS801s  (Read 12685 times)

Rick Powell

Re: LS801s
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 12:11:29 AM »

I just got back from taking the new subs to the practice studio.  I really didn't have much time to fool around with them.  I hooked them up from the low out on my X-over and once I lowered the trim knob on the kicks and floors and dropped the low output on the X-over some they sound excellent.  Cut a little at 55hz and a little at 80hz.  They hit damn hard.  I'll know at rehearsal Saturday just how much they will have to come down to not stomp on my Yamahas.  I'm sure I'll have a little tweaking to do. HF roll off set about halfway, X-over at 100Hz, it sounds real nice though.  I might try aux'ing them.

For tops, you could do a lot worse than a set of the old JBL SRX 4732's - I used to run a pair of those (not mine, they were some one else's system) over a  set of EV 18's and they did great, outdoors shows, etc.  I see them on ebay for $750 or so if they are in good shape.  Hard to find, people still like them.

David Hayes

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 06:33:12 AM »

For tops, you could do a lot worse than a set of the old JBL SRX 4732's - I used to run a pair of those (not mine, they were some one else's system) over a  set of EV 18's and they did great, outdoors shows, etc.  I see them on ebay for $750 or so if they are in good shape.  Hard to find, people still like them.

Yeah, I have been looking for some.  Rather not deal with EvilBay, but..

Might have to go the route of buying a pair of powered tops and then adding another matching pair later as funds allow.  Any opinions on which is better, the QSC K12 or the PRX 712"?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 06:37:14 AM by David Hayes »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2014, 10:34:02 AM »

The QSC KW112 is my favorite at that performance point
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 11:33:27 AM »

Yeah, I have been looking for some.  Rather not deal with EvilBay, but..

Might have to go the route of buying a pair of powered tops and then adding another matching pair later as funds allow.  Any opinions on which is better, the QSC K12 or the PRX 712"?

I use the K10's (which compare well to the k12's) and the PRX612's ( which is the predecessor to the PRX712). I like the sound of the PRX612's best when paired up with my PRX 718' subs. However, that may have something to do with the fact that the PRX's are wooden boxes. Scott suggested the KW's which are wooden boxes and are warmer and nicer than the k series.
However,  between those 2 boxes you mentioned which are both close in price - I vote PRX712.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2014, 06:52:22 PM »

I use the K10's (which compare well to the k12's) and the PRX612's ( which is the predecessor to the PRX712). I like the sound of the PRX612's best when paired up with my PRX 718' subs. However, that may have something to do with the fact that the PRX's are wooden boxes. Scott suggested the KW's which are wooden boxes and are warmer and nicer than the k series.
However,  between those 2 boxes you mentioned which are both close in price - I vote PRX712.

I agree on the K10's Debgie, have your tried the KWA-181?  I think they are much more controlled and musical.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2014, 11:55:43 AM »

I agree on the K10's Debgie, have your tried the KWA-181?  I think they are much more controlled and musical.

My first  powered speaker purchase was when I came across a couple of K10's at a great price online. I purchased a couple of K-Subs used and had a reasonable little system as an alternative to my passive system. Less to haul around for smaller gigs.

Then I came across 4 PRX612's on clearance in GC as they had taken delivery of the PRX700 series. I couldn't turn the deal down and purchased all 4. I tried them out with the K-subs and preferred the extra throw of the PRX's over the K10's. However,  I had become disappointed with the K-subs limitations and I had to use an external crossover every time I wanted to use them with the PRX's. 
So when it was time to upgrade to a powered 18", I wanted to avoid the external crossover which led me to the PRX718xlf because JBL put the high pass in the subs and QSC in the tops…..
I have no regrets though because I really like what I have and that 718 kicks !
However, if I'd have started out with a couple of KW122's or similar, I would have probably ended up with the KW181's to match the system. I did listen to a pair in the store when they were first released and was very impressed. I like QSC products very much and one day I'd like to hear a PRX system and a KW system side by side.
I use my K10's for monitors now and they sound great.
They also are nice to use as reference monitors - I know they are not near field but they have a nice transparency that the JBL's don't have  for pre-recorded music.
Like everything - it's 'Horses for Courses ' I suppose !
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Garris

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2014, 02:33:03 PM »

My first  powered speaker purchase was when I came across a couple of K10's at a great price online. I purchased a couple of K-Subs used and had a reasonable little system as an alternative to my passive system. Less to haul around for smaller gigs.

Then I came across 4 PRX612's on clearance in GC as they had taken delivery of the PRX700 series. I couldn't turn the deal down and purchased all 4. I tried them out with the K-subs and preferred the extra throw of the PRX's over the K10's. However,  I had become disappointed with the K-subs limitations and I had to use an external crossover every time I wanted to use them with the PRX's. 
So when it was time to upgrade to a powered 18", I wanted to avoid the external crossover which led me to the PRX718xlf because JBL put the high pass in the subs and QSC in the tops…..
I have no regrets though because I really like what I have and that 718 kicks !
However, if I'd have started out with a couple of KW122's or similar, I would have probably ended up with the KW181's to match the system. I did listen to a pair in the store when they were first released and was very impressed. I like QSC products very much and one day I'd like to hear a PRX system and a KW system side by side.
I use my K10's for monitors now and they sound great.
They also are nice to use as reference monitors - I know they are not near field but they have a nice transparency that the JBL's don't have  for pre-recorded music.
Like everything - it's 'Horses for Courses ' I suppose !

I have a PRX6__ system as well, but recently have been working a club that has flown K12's over a pair of KW181's on the floor.  I did not trust that the K12's would work for the hair metal band I was running, so I brought my JBL 615's as tops and pole mounted them on their KW-181's.

The sound was awesome, and the 181's had some real punch that I don't get with my 618xlf's. I still love my 618's but those 181's are really nice, thumping boxes. I've also used KW12's over their 181's, but I prefer the sound of the JBL 12 and 15 boxes for the top end.

David Hayes

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2014, 06:28:14 PM »

I have a PRX6__ system as well, but recently have been working a club that has flown K12's over a pair of KW181's on the floor.  I did not trust that the K12's would work for the hair metal band I was running, so I brought my JBL 615's as tops and pole mounted them on their KW-181's.

The sound was awesome, and the 181's had some real punch that I don't get with my 618xlf's. I still love my 618's but those 181's are really nice, thumping boxes. I've also used KW12's over their 181's, but I prefer the sound of the JBL 12 and 15 boxes for the top end.

Interestingly I am not getting any recommendations anywhere for any Yorkville powered tops.  Most people suggest either the QSC or JBL or else, and I have gotten a lot of this, the Yamaha DXR and DSR lines.

If I had went with the 181s it would be a no brainer, but since I went with the 801s I am just hesitant to run out and buy something, lest a week later I find out I should have bought something else.  lol     I'm trying to buy once, cry once.

Thanks for all your suggestions and as it is unlikely I will get the opportunity to try any of these out with my system beforehand, I guess I will just have to pick one and hope I made as informed a choice as I could.   I will update when I get something.  Thanks guys.

Richard Turner

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2014, 09:00:42 AM »

Mostly because yorkville is more popular in Canada and they never really had a winner of a full range box.

the ls800/1p was a grand slam in the bottom of the 8th inning product, the quantity of bass it put out for its size compared with its cost made it a winner,,,,,15 years ago when it came out (maybe only 13 but whos keeping track)

to be honest if you were going yorkville the updated ps18s would have been the better box, comes in black texturelac instead of black rat fur (or did you pay the extra 300 for the sprayed boxes)

the only yorkville product most on here would be familiar with would be the tx8, tx5 (10 years ago), and the unity u15, u215, u15p (5 years ago)

its more a matter of the name not having much market share as compared to JBL and now QSC and to a certain extent RCF

Honestly if you had of auditioned the RCF 8004 sub even at ~$500 more per box but knowing the many options for RCF full range boxes you may have leaned that way. But dont get hung up on it, blackout the yorkvill ebadges on the front and no one would know its not a all one brand system whatever route you go for full range.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

David Hayes

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2014, 11:46:57 AM »

Mostly because yorkville is more popular in Canada and they never really had a winner of a full range box.

the ls800/1p was a grand slam in the bottom of the 8th inning product, the quantity of bass it put out for its size compared with its cost made it a winner,,,,,15 years ago when it came out (maybe only 13 but whos keeping track)

to be honest if you were going yorkville the updated ps18s would have been the better box, comes in black texturelac instead of black rat fur (or did you pay the extra 300 for the sprayed boxes)

the only yorkville product most on here would be familiar with would be the tx8, tx5 (10 years ago), and the unity u15, u215, u15p (5 years ago)

its more a matter of the name not having much market share as compared to JBL and now QSC and to a certain extent RCF

Honestly if you had of auditioned the RCF 8004 sub even at ~$500 more per box but knowing the many options for RCF full range boxes you may have leaned that way. But dont get hung up on it, blackout the yorkvill ebadges on the front and no one would know its not a all one brand system whatever route you go for full range.

Honestly I am not at all worried about having tops that match the subs.  I just want good tops that I will not feel the urge to "Upgrade" in the near future.

Got to use the new subs in full rehearsal last night.  Here are a few observations.
First, they are powerful.  To run them both full out there is no way a pair of single 12" tops is going to hang with them.  In our studio, which is a 20'x40' loft, using proper gain staging and getting the subs as loud as possible before feedback, my Yamaha clubs couldn't hang.  In fact, the bass rig (SVT) and guitar rig (JSX) had to be turned up significantly louder than normal to hang with them.  That said, it was easy enough to dial them back using the low output on my crossover and get a nice mix. It took longer to get the EQ right.  I had my old passive subs set up perfectly for what I want and I had to fool around quite a bit with the Yorkies to get the kicks sounding the way I wanted them to.

I have the output on the 801s around 1:00, I have the shape around 9:00 and I have the roll off all the way down at 90hz.  With the roll off higher than 12:00 the kick drums sounded boingy and resonated too much ( mental note, buy a gate). I have my external crossover at it's lowest setting which is 100hz ( mental note, buy a better crossover).  I have the subs ran out of my crossover, but I will likely try to aux them and see if I like it better.  I like a nice balance between high end "Click" and punchy low end that you can feel in your chest.

All in all I am happy with the subs and feel with a little more time to tweak them I can get them to perform the way I want them to in a variety of situations.

As for tops, I am considering buying a nice pair of powered tops and adding an identical pair later.  Meanwhile I may take my club 12s and run them as a sort of sidefill along with the new tops.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2014, 11:46:57 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.