ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Putting up metal building- dimensions for optimal sound?  (Read 7736 times)

Gene Flynn

Re: Putting up metal building- dimensions for optimal sound?
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 03:55:17 PM »

Gene,
Prior to the picture I felt the same as Dick. Now, seeing the picture I'm no longer left with the impression of a sound system inside a metal shed or aircraft hanger. Everything you put into the room will have an effect on the sound and how that sound disperses, is absorbed, or reflected.

With that in mind what I can tell you is there are no ideal buildings, no specific size or type within you budget I could recommend. Well, maybe if you could afford the Hatch Shell. What I can recommend is that you size the building to meet your requirements and use quality components to build your system, which will have to include a very good EQ. You can always screw around with speaker placement, and if you like bass, which it appears to be the case, spray the entire inside of the building with insulation and make sure all the nuts and bolts are tight.
Thanks Bob.  I did read somewhere about room width 1.6x the height and length being 2.6x the height..

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 03:14:24 PM »

Thanks Bob.  I did read somewhere about room width 1.6x the height and length being 2.6x the height..

The bit about non-parallel walls inside is a good idea though it can freak out county planning officials.

Jeff Robinson

• Kansas City, MO
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 05:54:23 PM »

Im going to be putting up a metal building for my gym/ install sound system.  Im looking at about 12-1300 sq.ft.  My thoughts are to do more of a rectangle, like 25x50, putting the speakers on the 25' wall.  Ceiling height probably 10'??? 
Just curious to see if you had the opportunity to lay out your ideal building what would you do??
Thanks

Phi, also called the Golden Ratio, ~1.618, there are no whole number ratios between sides.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

This will minimize standing waves and avoid resonance buildup problems (as much as possible, it is what is recommended for speaker cabinet dimension ratios).

HTH,

Jeff Robinson
Excerpt from Shelley's 'Ode to a Skylark':
Pourest thy full heart
In profuse strains of unpremeditated art
Such harmonious madness
From my lips would flow
The world should listen then, as I am listening now!

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 02:49:18 AM »

You might as well put them in the restroom 'cause they're gonna sound like s***.

Strangely, in just about every venue I have been in, the sound in the restroom* has been good.  Quiet but perfectly intelligible.

* Why are they called restrooms in the US? You don't go in there for a rest!

Steve.

Sammy Barr

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 09:24:12 AM »

Yes I know- should have been more specific..  Im probably going with a 25x50..  I'll throw the gear in and go from there!! 
Thanks again..

I have a 40x 50 with 1" spray foam insulation top to bottom. It is my sound workshop so I test a lot of speakers in there. The main issues come from the floor reflections. Overall it sounds pretty good.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 12:58:34 PM »

* Why are they called restrooms in the US? You don't go in there for a rest!

We can't call them washrooms, because half the people in the US who go in there don't wash their hands afterwards. And asking the maître d' "where is the shitter?" is just too crude.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 12:58:34 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 23 queries.