ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Putting up metal building- dimensions for optimal sound?  (Read 7739 times)

Gene Flynn

Putting up metal building- dimensions for optimal sound?
« on: April 16, 2014, 11:52:27 AM »

Im going to be putting up a metal building for my gym/ install sound system.  Im looking at about 12-1300 sq.ft.  My thoughts are to do more of a rectangle, like 25x50, putting the speakers on the 25' wall.  Ceiling height probably 10'??? 
Just curious to see if you had the opportunity to lay out your ideal building what would you do??
Thanks

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Putting up metal building- dimensions for optimal sound?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 12:27:28 PM »

Im going to be putting up a metal building for my gym/ install sound system.  Im looking at about 12-1300 sq.ft.  My thoughts are to do more of a rectangle, like 25x50, putting the speakers on the 25' wall.  Ceiling height probably 10'??? 
Just curious to see if you had the opportunity to lay out your ideal building what would you do??
Thanks

I'd put in a CV distributed system firing down at the floor.  A couple of speakers on the walls anywhere in such a space will likely suck.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Gene Flynn

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 01:03:10 PM »

I'd put in a CV distributed system firing down at the floor.  A couple of speakers on the walls anywhere in such a space will likely suck.
Didnt mean on the wall literally..  I meant on the 25' side the speakers of course will be on the floor..

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 01:56:16 PM »

Didnt mean on the wall literally..  I meant on the 25' side the speakers of course will be on the floor..

You might as well put them in the restroom 'cause they're gonna sound like s***.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 02:41:53 PM »

The first thing I would do would be to put some acoustic treatment on the walls and ceiling. Otherwise, you will feel like you are in an oil drum and any sound of any sort will be completely unintelligible. Acoustic treatment won't be cheap, but seeking a technical solution solely through the purchase of equipment will drain Fort Knox.

Steel siding is worse than concrete walls. At least with concrete, you are only dealing with reflections. With steel siding, you are adding the resonance of the steel to the reflections. If you go with spray foam, it will help somewhat and give you some good thermal insulation to boot. (Those buildings can get HOT in the summer!) Closed-cell foam doesn't absorb sound real well, but the irregular surface can act as a diffuser and it will certainly eliminate the resonance of the steel panels.

Then if there's any money left in the budget, then you can worry about the sound system.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Gene Flynn

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 02:59:30 PM »

You might as well put them in the restroom 'cause they're gonna sound like s***.
I totally disagree with you dick..  The building will be insulated.  I have been to many clubs that are metal buildings with NO acoustic treatments and its sounds great.  here is my current system ina METAL building and its killer..  Im simply asking what dimensions would you make a building to get good sound??

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 03:33:11 PM »

Gene,
Prior to the picture I felt the same as Dick. Now, seeing the picture I'm no longer left with the impression of a sound system inside a metal shed or aircraft hanger. Everything you put into the room will have an effect on the sound and how that sound disperses, is absorbed, or reflected.

With that in mind what I can tell you is there are no ideal buildings, no specific size or type within you budget I could recommend. Well, maybe if you could afford the Hatch Shell. What I can recommend is that you size the building to meet your requirements and use quality components to build your system, which will have to include a very good EQ. You can always screw around with speaker placement, and if you like bass, which it appears to be the case, spray the entire inside of the building with insulation and make sure all the nuts and bolts are tight.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 03:38:10 PM »

I totally disagree with you dick..  The building will be insulated.  I have been to many clubs that are metal buildings with NO acoustic treatments and its sounds great.  here is my current system ina METAL building and its killer..  Im simply asking what dimensions would you make a building to get good sound??

You get answers according to the information you provide.  I answered according to "metal building/gymnasium".  If you provide pictures, scale drawings and detailed information about use, you're more likely to get what you want.  If you provide scraps of info parcelled out over a series of posts it's just tedious.

Good luck.  Go for the burn...

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 03:44:43 PM »

You should research the Louden and Sepmeyer ratios. And try to build your room with non parallel walls.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Gene Flynn

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 03:53:01 PM »

You get answers according to the information you provide.  I answered according to "metal building/gymnasium".  If you provide pictures, scale drawings and detailed information about use, you're more likely to get what you want.  If you provide scraps of info parcelled out over a series of posts it's just tedious.

Good luck.  Go for the burn...
Yes I know- should have been more specific..  Im probably going with a 25x50..  I'll throw the gear in and go from there!! 
Thanks again..

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 03:53:01 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.