ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hanging Choir mics  (Read 2201 times)

Michael Gorecki

Hanging Choir mics
« on: April 15, 2014, 08:27:39 PM »

I have an install that im working on where the client would like to use hanging mics for a small theater at an elementary school. Being an Audix enthusiast I contacted them first and they suggested a combination of the M1255B hanging choir mics and the tripod MB5055 which will work for this application. I would like to stay with this configuration or all hanging mics. This post is just seeking alternative brands and reviews of these or other microphones that accomplish the same task at the same or less price point.

Thanks in advance

Michael Gorecki

Chris Eddison

Re: Hanging Choir mics
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 03:06:44 AM »

I've had good results with the AKG HM1000 hanging module with either CK33 or CK31 capsules depending on the pattern you need.
With a hyper cardioid capsule we get good upstage coverage when they're flown downstage (we use PZM's such as the Crown PCC160 on the downstage edge to cover downstage) though I think they'd maybe be a little close to your choir in hyper cardioid mode. They sound nice and apart from having trapped the cable from one in a flightcase lid once, they've behaved well.

For your tripod ones, maybe take a look at the JTS Microboom mics. They're a cheaper brand but make some interesting products. I've had good results working with choirs using their carbon booms.

Edited because autocorrect somehow changed "upstage" to "hostages" - so I had good hostage coverage!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 04:24:36 AM by Chris Eddison »

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 12:44:01 PM »

Hanging mics

I know you asked for manufacture recommendations but I hope you are aware of the limitations of these types of mics and have made that clear to the client. I find that most peoples expectations of hanging mics are way out of line with reality. And then they blame the installation. 

Hanging and apron mics are great for chorus numbers, if the chorus has some volume to them, and they don’t have something (like a loud pit) that is louder then them at the mics. I just did a show where the director didn’t hire enough wireless and expected to pick up a lot of the actors with the apron and the hanging mics. He has never done this before. So I was surprised. As with any mic the loudest thing at the mic wins and in this case the small pit band was the loudest thing.

Also they hardly ever teach the kids to project anymore. If they expect to actually be able to hear and understand you average elementary school kid talking on hanging mics they will not be happy with the results. Unless everyone in the audience is using assisted listening devices. And none of the hanging mics are going thru the sound reinforcement system.

All conflict comes from a difference in expectations.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 12:44:01 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.