ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Downsizing Question  (Read 9467 times)

Simon Hutson

Downsizing Question
« on: April 15, 2014, 02:29:43 PM »

Hi.

Due to some recent line-up changes, we have found that our current PA is physically too big to store/transport between the current band members. Short of sacking those musicians whose cars are too small and instituting a "large car only" hiring policy, we have begun the downsizing process.

We currently have a pair of Peavey UL 15 15" tops (4 ohms, Efficiency: 98dB, Power: 500w RMS, Frequency response: 60 Hz - 17.5 kHz) and a pair of Peavey UL 115 15" Subs (4 ohms, Efficiency: 99dB, Power: 500w RMS, Frequency response: 60 Hz - 300 Hz), powered by a Peavey CS2000H amp running in stereo @ 2 ohms per side.

I'm really looking for some recommendations as to how best to minimise the size and weight of our speakers without losing to much capability.

For example, I own a pair of Electro-Voice SX300 tops powered by a QSC PLX2402, which I've used for vocal only gigs (and really like the sound of) and was wondering about adding a pair of EV SB122 12" Subs (8 ohms, Efficiency: 99dB, Power: 400W RMS, Frequency Response: 43 - 200 Hz). Would you recommend running 2 pairs of SB122 subs (2 each side in parallel), that way we could split up cabs among multiple band members.

Another option is to drop the subs altogether, and find a decent set of tops that could handle most of what we need e.g. RCF ART 725-A MKII. However, since we tend to put Bass Guitar, Keys, Drums, Baritone Sax and Trombone through our current system, I'm not sure this is viable.

All help, advice, recommendations are gratefully received, but please bear in mind we are in the UK, so don't have access to some USA brands such as Yorkville.

Cheers, Simon

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Downsizing Question
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 03:20:29 PM »

How much are you willing to spend to fix this problem?

One thing you could do, if size is at such a premium, is replace your speakers with powered units.  That would eliminate the amp rack that has to be transported.

If you have a decent pair of subs, your top cabinets can be much smaller. My current small go-to rig uses a JBL SRX712m over a JBL SRX718s sub.  The tops are TINY and I can carry 2 around all day long compared to bigger boxes.  The subs, however, do still require space.  Finding a sub with great output and small physical size usually means jumping up in the price range quite a bit.

The plastic box EV sub that you quoted isn't really much of a sub.  If you're putting drums through the PA, it's not going to add enough to it to make it even worthwhile.
Brian Jojade

Simon Hutson

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 02:05:36 AM »

How much are you willing to spend to fix this problem?

One thing you could do, if size is at such a premium, is replace your speakers with powered units.  That would eliminate the amp rack that has to be transported.

If you have a decent pair of subs, your top cabinets can be much smaller. My current small go-to rig uses a JBL SRX712m over a JBL SRX718s sub.  The tops are TINY and I can carry 2 around all day long compared to bigger boxes.  The subs, however, do still require space.  Finding a sub with great output and small physical size usually means jumping up in the price range quite a bit.

The plastic box EV sub that you quoted isn't really much of a sub.  If you're putting drums through the PA, it's not going to add enough to it to make it even worthwhile.

Thanks for such a quick reply Brian.

I did a search for those JBL models here in the UK, but couldn't find any stockist. I did see some SRX712m listed on www.eBay.co.uk, but these were 800w passive models.

What about the idea of "coupling" small subs? I saw this approach being advertised by HK Audio Elements, by stacking a 10" active sub, with a 10" passive sub on each side. Something to do with proximity causing the subs to work together to produce a bigger sound? Sound like marketing "speak", but with a couple of our band in their mid-70s, size/weight is a real issue for us, and the prospect of each unit weighing under 20kg is very appealing.

Cheers, Simon

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 04:50:08 AM »

... but with a couple of our band in their mid-70s, size/weight is a real issue for us, and the prospect of each unit weighing under 20kg is very appealing.

Cheers, Simon

If you are all driving cars weight is an issue, but if someone has a van or SUV larger items like subs can be put on caster boards and tilted onto the back bumper and slid into a van/SUV.  I have equipment in the 40-50kg range, but I never actually lift more than 1/2-2/3 of that weight, using the bumper as a fulcrum.

I actually stack subs with a helper and roll up to the van, The first one slides in, the next one tilts in.  For other heavy items I roll the cart right up to the bumper, which gets them 12" off the ground, allowing me to tilt more items, and less of a lift for others that are still too short to tilt.

If your venues are up/down stairs all bets are off.
Mark McFarlane

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 04:54:23 AM »

If I was going small-portable, I'd look into a pair of RCF TT08As and a single small sub. I'm an RCF fan.  The TT08As are apparently amazing for their size and weight but will need a sub of some type.

We need more info on the venue/audience sizes, indoors/outdoors, style of music,...
Mark McFarlane

Simon Hutson

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 03:36:35 PM »

If I was going small-portable, I'd look into a pair of RCF TT08As and a single small sub. I'm an RCF fan.  The TT08As are apparently amazing for their size and weight but will need a sub of some type.

We need more info on the venue/audience sizes, indoors/outdoors, style of music,...

Hi Mark.

We are 11 piece (2 vocal, 5 horns) Soul/Disco/Motown band, playing weddings and corporate events up to 200 people, mostly indoors, with an occasional outdoor marquee in the summer. The largest venue we play is a school sports hall, but most are your typical wedding reception venues.

We mic all horns and backline, with drums typically just kick and a pair of overheads, and we have our own sound engineer.

I went to my local RCF stockist, and the TT's are out of our price range, but the ART 7 series is in the right ballpark. What do you think?

Cheers, Simon

Rob Gow

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 06:40:13 PM »

Hi Mark.

We are 11 piece (2 vocal, 5 horns) Soul/Disco/Motown band, playing weddings and corporate events up to 200 people, mostly indoors, with an occasional outdoor marquee in the summer. The largest venue we play is a school sports hall, but most are your typical wedding reception venues.

We mic all horns and backline, with drums typically just kick and a pair of overheads, and we have our own sound engineer.

I went to my local RCF stockist, and the TT's are out of our price range, but the ART 7 series is in the right ballpark. What do you think?

Cheers, Simon

Time to buy a trailer?

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 09:20:32 PM »

Get a pair of Danley TH-Mini subwoofers to use with your SX300s. I don't know if they have distribution yet in the U.K. but you can order them from a U.S. dealer and Danley will dropship them. If you want to get some nicer sounding tops that won't break the bank look for a set of Tannoy VX12 or VX12HP.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Simon Hutson

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 03:54:05 AM »

Time to buy a trailer?

That's on our list of possible options  :D

Simon Hutson

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 05:51:14 AM »

Get a pair of Danley TH-Mini subwoofers to use with your SX300s. I don't know if they have distribution yet in the U.K. but you can order them from a U.S. dealer and Danley will dropship them. If you want to get some nicer sounding tops that won't break the bank look for a set of Tannoy VX12 or VX12HP.

Thanks Mike. There doesn't seem to be any UK distribution for the Daniels, and buying "sound unheard" is a little too risky. There are quite a few great brands that aren't available this side of the pond :(

Cheers, Simon

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 05:51:14 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 23 queries.