ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Neon lights myth  (Read 10466 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: Neon lights myth
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 04:21:11 AM »

I'm assuming the OP means fluorescent lights rather than neon.

Also, anything on a simple thyristor/triac control will cause some noise as at settings lower than 100% it will switch on when the ac waveform is part way through its positive or negative cycle.

I walked up and unplugged a neon bar sign that was directly behind the amps ( and sharing power) and everything immediately cleared up.

Things like that are always good.  One of my friends would comment "Now it's your turn to wear the smug hat".

Steve.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 12:28:38 PM by Steve M Smith »

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 07:28:14 AM »

I'm assuming the OP means florescent lights rather than neon.

Also, anything on a simple thyristor/triac control will cause some noise as at settings lower than 100% it will switch on when the ac waveform is part way through its positive or negative cycle.

Things like that are always good.  One of my friends would comment "Now it's your turn to wear the smug hat".

Steve.
Nope - neon. http://www.jantecneon.com/Neon-Sculptures.html  Ubiquitous in bars in the states, but slowly being replaced by LED.  I would say we only have about 40 years to go in the transition.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 12:28:06 PM »

O.K. I stand corrected!

I made the assumption because I have lost count of the number of times I have heard fluorescent lights referred to as neon.

Ubiquitous in bars in the states

Over here it's very common to see neon lighting externally but I haven't seen much inside a building.  When I have, it has usually been in a US themed diner!

Steve.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 12:31:20 PM by Steve M Smith »

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 01:23:06 PM »

I'm assuming the OP means fluorescent lights rather than neon.

Steve.

No, the OP was asking about neon and sound system issues. Everybody jumped over to guitars.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 04:57:49 PM »

No, the OP was asking about neon and sound system issues. Everybody jumped over to guitars.
we never had an issue with pa system hum around neon lights. Black Sabbath has a song called "Neon Nights".

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 04:57:49 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 27 queries.