ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Clean up your tent shows....  (Read 11883 times)

James A. Griffin

Clean up your tent shows....
« on: April 14, 2014, 09:58:27 AM »

I know a lot of you are probably already doing this, but I think it's worth a mention for those who aren't.   

Get rid of your tripods and mount the speakers on the poles that are already there.  All it takes is a wall-mount speaker bracket and 2 clamps.  This clamp is a GT Mini-360.

I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Clean up your tent shows....
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 10:37:33 AM »

All it takes is a wall-mount speaker bracket and 2 clamps.  This clamp is a GT Mini-360.

Plus permission from the tent rental company to attach to their poles.  There are definite liability issues.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Sean Hayes

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 10:39:50 AM »

Are you checking with the tent provider before doing this?

I am not saying that a small speaker like you have in the image is going to be an issue. I just want to make sure everyone here is at least double checking with the tent vendor before doing this.

I have flown many things in many different types of tents, but I ALWAYS find out who is providing the tent and give them a call to make sure I am not breaking the contract with their/my client or making the structure unsafe.

Sean
Sean T. Hayes

James A. Griffin

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 10:44:20 AM »

Are you checking with the tent provider before doing this?

I am not saying that a small speaker like you have in the image is going to be an issue. I just want to make sure everyone here is at least double checking with the tent vendor before doing this.

I have flown many things in many different types of tents, but I ALWAYS find out who is providing the tent and give them a call to make sure I am not breaking the contract with their/my client or making the structure unsafe.

Sean

Yes, I always check with tent company and it's never been an issue.  The weight on the overall tent structure is negligible.   The bracket and clamps are rated to hold loads in excess of any 12" speaker.   It's actually a safer presentation for everyone since there are no cables or tripods on the ground.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:48:19 AM by James A. Griffin »
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 12:33:50 PM »

Do those (on stage) mounting brackets have the holes in them already to use those Global truss clamps? Did you have to get longer screws to go thru those holes for the clamps?

James A. Griffin

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 12:36:15 PM »

Do those (on stage) mounting brackets have the holes in them already to use those Global truss clamps? Did you have to get longer screws to go thru those holes for the clamps?

Holes already there and yes, you'll need longer bolts.    The ones that come with the clamps are too short

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 02:09:37 PM »

Holes already there and yes, you'll need longer bolts.    The ones that come with the clamps are too short

Thank you. Will have to give that a try. We already have the brackets I just couldn’t remember if they had the holes. We use them with the EV ZX1 mostly. We have been using pipe clamps, the Global truss pieces look real nice for this.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 02:50:03 PM »

I like the idea...very tidy  :)
Is the speaker fastened to the spigot?
I have seen tents "jump" in sudden bad weather wind conditions!
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 03:11:24 PM »

I have seen tents "jump" in sudden bad weather wind conditions!

That is my concern, if that tent looses it's integrity and starts flopping around, you've added a few extra projectiles into the mix.

I've witnessed a large tent collapse during a storm (with all my gear and a few hundred people inside), all I could do was throw the main breaker feeding the PA and then try to help some of the older attendees get out. Not a good situation at all.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Mark Oakley

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »

A few problems I can see here is:

1) You're limited on speaker placement to the location of the poles. What if I need to locate the speaker 2 ft. left or right of the poles?

2) Most of the shows I've done in tents involve mixing bands. Placing the speakers on tent poles behind the band doesn't interest me (although wedding planners would love it!).

-Mark
Oakley Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 23 queries.