ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small Lightweight Subwoofers  (Read 12961 times)

Michael A. Yates

Small Lightweight Subwoofers
« on: April 13, 2014, 08:59:52 PM »

I am on the hunt for some small but powerful lightweight subwoofers. I have some Harbinger 18" subs that weigh 95 pounds that are just way to big and heavy to lug around. I'm looking something small and lightweight but has some push enough for small outside events and small to medium inside events. 500- 1000 people at the most. Full band set ups.

Any feedback?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Small Lightweight Subwoofers
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 11:42:50 PM »

Danley TH-Mini is small and sounds great.  500-1000 people, you'll need multiples.  No such thing as getting bone-crushing bass from 1-2 tiny subs, of any brand.  My vote is for 1-2 TH-118's, lots of great output per cubic volume.

Typed on a virtual keyboard. 

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 09:17:24 AM »

Just remember the iron law comes into play here for a desired spl target: low, cheap, small; pick two.

I wager most anything you choose outside the Harbinger lineup will fill that role nicely.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Larry Lewis

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 09:52:28 AM »

I was on a similar quest a few months ago, and narrowed it down to the Danley THmini (76 lbs) and JTR Growler (88 lbs). I ended up getting a pair of Growlers since they've got a bit more low end extension and am really happy.

If size and weight are the #1 criteria, I don't think there's anything out there close to the THmini in terms of raw SPL from a tiny box. For rock/pop bands, they'll be fine, but I wouldn't use them for DJ/EDM due to the lack of low end extension.

As Caleb mentioned, you'll need more than two of either of these boxes (or any single 18 subwoofer) to cover 500-1000 people, especially if you're outdoors. A block of 4 in a center cluster will start to make some impact. Six would be better. Once you get into multiple boxes, you may find the TH118 or similar is actually easier to move due to the integrated handles and wheels over a bunch of small subs.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 12:58:27 PM »

I am on the hunt for some small but powerful lightweight subwoofers. I have some Harbinger 18" subs that weigh 95 pounds that are just way to big and heavy to lug around. I'm looking something small and lightweight but has some push enough for small outside events and small to medium inside events. 500- 1000 people at the most. Full band set ups.

Any feedback?

95lbs IS lightweight.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 02:58:59 PM »

QSC KW181 is single 18" with wheels, and 88 pounds, including built in power amp.

Michael A. Yates

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 12:23:38 AM »

95lbs IS lightweight.

True that but I'm really looking something smaller in size. Weight is kind of a factor but I can deal with it.

Anyone know anything about the Carvin  TM212S?? It's a dual 12" sub. Can somebody give me some insight on these specs? How deep and how much power will 2 of these give me?
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/TM212S

May pick 2 of these up...

Taylor Hall

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 10:44:43 AM »

I think you may find yourself back at square one as the carvin subs seem to be a step sideways. They're smaller, yes, but will they be enough to cover all your venues (especially outdoor) properly with just a pair? You might end up having to get another pair of them to pick up the slack at which point you're getting close to having your 18" cabinet-sized footprint again.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Michael A. Yates

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 03:05:03 PM »

I think you may find yourself back at square one as the carvin subs seem to be a step sideways. They're smaller, yes, but will they be enough to cover all your venues (especially outdoor) properly with just a pair? You might end up having to get another pair of them to pick up the slack at which point you're getting close to having your 18" cabinet-sized footprint again.

So maybe I should look at a couple of the Carvin TRx2218B? I know they are not as small as I would like but they would probably work better for my venues.

Richard Turner

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 12:12:42 AM »

So maybe I should look at a couple of the Carvin TRx2218B? I know they are not as small as I would like but they would probably work better for my venues.

I've never experienced any Carvin gear in full working order. Looks like a solid cabinet if it truly is 3/4 birch ply. I wonder if thsoe drivers would actually last if fed 3200 watts continuous?

As mentioned before, Light, loud, cheap are generally 3 factors pulling in different directions.

K Array are making a self powered  8x10" cab, its 48"x24"x 6.5" 105 lbs   street price is about $10 k...each
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 08:41:33 AM »

True that but I'm really looking something smaller in size. Weight is kind of a factor but I can deal with it.

Anyone know anything about the Carvin  TM212S?? It's a dual 12" sub. Can somebody give me some insight on these specs? How deep and how much power will 2 of these give me?
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/TM212S

May pick 2 of these up...

I'd go for the JTR Growlers-same output, smaller and lighter, and basically in the same price range.

Best regards,

John

George Dougherty

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 09:28:59 AM »

I'd go for the JTR Growlers-same output, smaller and lighter, and basically in the same price range.

Best regards,

John
And don't forget better sound quality. Growlers have a really nice tight sound.

royaljenner

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 09:03:27 AM »

And don't forget better sound quality. Growlers have a really nice tight sound.

I have two Growlers and am often asked "what's in that little box?"
No one believes me  :o when I tell them 12" drivers.  Growlers are amazing and their relatively small size is a bonus.

Regards,
Royal

www.Jtrspeakers.com

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 08:54:43 PM »

Any feedback?

Fulcrum Acoustic's US212 might be worth a peak. 66lbs. Don't know how they compare on pricing, though.

Jon C Thomas

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 12:08:45 PM »

Don't forget the lightweight active JBL PRX LXF 15"/18" boxes.

What amp are you using?
What is you budget?

For 1000 outdoors you will want to rent a big rig btw.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 12:08:45 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.